AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at getting a 2805. However, given the enhanced digitial connections available on the 3805, would consider it instead. Is the Denon Link worth the extra $??

The upgrade in power is not relevant for my application, only the digital input; but wil it ever be that useful?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question really should have been asking if there is an audible difference in having an all-digital signal by using the Link 3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The irony is that if you pop for the $1500 DVD player that has DenonLink, (or more!) then your player will probably have a fantastic analog section as well. Actually, there are other pure digital paths. For DVDs and CDs you should be able to go digital over coax or TOSlink directly into any receiver than has DTS and Dolby Digital decoders. The 3806 (info leaking out, supposedly officially announced at CEDIA in September) will have HDMI, which gives you yet another digital input.

I am probably going to wait and get the 3806, since it widens the options. But in the meanwhile, you can pick up the 3805 at only about $100 more than the 2805, so even if you do not use the DenonLink (e.g. if you do not play muilti-channel SACDs very often) that is not a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
what speakers you have? , also depends on how important Hi-rez music is, to you.

the denonlink equipped players are themselves so expensive that your'e probably better off spending the combined budget on an excellent receiver like an arcam AVR300, Rotel, or NAD T773 [if you have difficult to drive speakers], and starting off with an entry level universal player, and wait for the next gen HiDef playing DVD players are out.

emotiva ultralite separates from www.av123 are also a good option.

so is the new outlaw processor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, cc-470 center, and SA-10R in-ceiling for surrounds (no where else to put a rear speaker).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It will also cancel out the expense and clutter of 6 additional audio cables between DVD player and receiver versus the cost of an inexpensive DL3 cable(offen included with the receiver).

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
You'd probably be better off take the extra cost of a 3805, and wait just a bit... And then look for one of the new receivers that are coming out that will also take a i-link input.

When you add the high cost that for a 3805 to do DL3, it also needs a upper end Denon player that also has DL3. As they are the only brand of DVD players that has a DL3 output. So to even to be able utilize the DL3 on a 3805 it would cost you roughly about $600 or more, than to do so than with a DVD player that has i-link. Something like the new Yamaha DVD-S2500 player which has i-link output, is about 1/2 the cost of the lowest cost Denon player with a DL3 output. At least with a i-link output DVD player you have many brands and models to choose from, because Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha all make players with a i-link out. Where with DL3, you only have Denon to choose from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the AVR-3805 is a good buy however Denon Link would not be the main reason why, the gentlemen above accurately pointed out you need an expensive Denon DVD player (3910 I think) to take advantage of it. I think the biggest advantages between the AVR-2805 and AVR-3805 are the 4 more robust Power Supplies, HDCD Decoder, AL24 Bit processing to all Channels (not just 2 like the 2805), the Burr Brown PCM-1791 DAC's, the ADC 24/192 Bit Depth/Sampling rates (as opposed to 24/96) and various other little tweaks :)

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.