AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen the new Denon NS-S100 multimedia server and the companion NS- C200 Ethernet based network client..(Best of the Show CES 2004)

I was going to build an expensive multi zone multi-source 16x16 system with IR control including some component capability and buy and connect a whole bunch of source media to it.. but with this box its seems almost old school now..

Is Multi Server Ethernet distribution the way of the future?

Dell

·
Registered
115 Posts
Absolutely ethernet distribution to end-node boxes for both audio and video is the wave of the future. In addition to folks like Denon, a whole variety of new competitors from start-ups (Roku) to established network equipment companies (D-Link) are jumping into the sleepy world of distributed media.

Most of these boxes, however, do little to turn legacy sources into distributable sources. NetStreams has announced such a capability as has Denon. Barix has video and audio servers available. Most of the simpler boxes are relying on the user having "ripped" the media to a server already using PC technologies.

Certainly Microsoft has made it clear they intend for the home to work this way; Mediabolic, who wrote the software for the Denon system, will be selling their software to others. The only glitch? Comcast, and other cable companies, don't really seem to care. It's quite unclear how HDCP sources will play in these distributed networks since once they are packetized in a way to be streamed on the net they could just as easily be sent to a storage medium. Audio is done now, S-Video and Component aren't that hard and are in reach, DVD's aren't too far away either....

I wouldn't do a real fancy switcher right now....a few short months (April? June?) and I think you'll be able to purchase the devices you'll really want (or today if you are willing to do audio only...)

-Aaron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you guys think that the wiring requirements of such a system would be for whole house automation. It occurs to me that the traditional 2 cat5 and 2 RG6 structured cabling may be insufficient if IP takes off.

It seems at least that I would need at least 3 cat5's for each drop and I don't even see the need for RG6 at all ..if video is going to be via Cat5.

I have to run wire for my new construction in 2 weeks, what do you guys suggest that the configuration should be?

Anyone know what would be the best way to run speaker wire,,,

Homerun? , or locally from a client or local amp,? or a combination of the two?

Dell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.