AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

Just a quick question- has anyone on the board had a Denon & an Elite that offered networking? Can anyone offer an opinion on which one is actually easier to use when connecting to Windows Homer Server?

Once set up, any connection problems or was there any sound quality degradation?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Denon 3310, and setting it up to connect was simple. Just set the Windows Media Player library to be shared and it showed up on the Denon. No problem.

BUT...the interface on the Denon doesn't hold a candle to a Windows Media Center PC hooked up to the system. Of course, that's not a viable option for many, but especially with a large collection, Denon's interface is lacking. It gets the job done but isn't very slick in appearance or (more importantly) function. And it doesn't have the ability to queue up songs from different artists on the fly, which WMC does very well and I can no longer live without. I didn't buy the 3310 for this purpose, so I wasn't really disappointed, but I had thought that if it delivered maybe I'd move the PC out of the living room and let it just be a server from elsewhere in the house. It took me about a minute to conclude that wasn't happening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

2 other question though- are you running Windows Home Server? Did you have to disable UpNP and manually configure port forwarding, or did your router have UpNP enabled and it connected with no issues?

What about album art- are you able to view album art via the Denon? I haven't really seen any screen shots that show what the On Screen Display puts out when using this function..

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 4308A puts on some album art when playing a tune. And it handles playlists so you can create a playlist on the computer that contains songs from different folders and it will play nicely. The denon and DLNA handles playlists as folders though, so you cant put a playlist as a favorite. And the playlists needs some form of formatting, that is, have the links with a relative path and not an absolute path since the denon wond see the drive letter.

Although I havent gotten around to getting flac into the library too see if that can be streamed. Thats for next weekend. Also, if you have files that are on a network share, you will need to do some manual things to get a WMP library to share files that are on a network. Did that just a few days ago. Otherwise it will only share local files. Next project is to get a dlna server onto my fileserver instead.

Still, i like having the denon playing mp3, now only to get flac working. Before i only had an 25meter optical cable from the computer to the denon and had to have a media player on the comp. Now i can at least use the remote in the living room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.