AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm trying to upgrade my 4 year old Sony which now I realized is terrible. So I want your opinion on whether I should go with Yamaha or Denon for my new receiver. I was heavily leaning towards the Yamaha, until I read on these forums that they are "bright". My speakers are somewhat bright, and I don't want for them to be brighter. Now I've been hearing that Denon has excellent sound in their receivers. So in your opinion which of these two receivers should I choose?

Yamaha HTR-6090 alt. Yamaha HTR-5960

OR

Denon AVR 2307CI

Also who comes closer to their power ratings? Thanks A lot!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! No one has any opinions??

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
LJ25,

I have always been partial to Yamaha and Onkyo myself. I would recommend going to a store and listening to both the Yamaha and Denon (I recommend that you also give Onkyo a listen). Go with the receiver that you think sounds the best and works within your budget.

I have a feeling that the Yamaha will come closer to their power ratings, but I have never owned or heavily researched Denon. Personally, I always thought Denon was a little pricey for what you get...

·
Registered
21 Posts
We all have the same question and it all comes down to what you like at the end of the day. Take a LCD vs. Plasma...Also I am looking to get Denon and there are so many questions. Is it really true the more you spend, the better you get...I believe NOT. The AVR-587 will prob do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Denon might be better. Its lower in the alphabet, therefore it comes first.

I think they are both great brands. I am psychologically more attached to Yamaha and I think I am on Yamaha RX number 5 (the 2700.) But that means nothing. My first receiver was the RX-570, a fantastic unit. My love for it has colored my judgement.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I believe the latest generation Yamaha's (RX-V1600, RX-V2600, RX-V1700, RX-V2700) are a major cut-above their predecessor's. They have much more refined pre-amp sections (including BurrBrown DAC's, Op-amps), power-supply/transformer's (schottky rectfier diodes), video-processing, etc.,...beautiful-sounding with nice video, all for a price typically a little less than a comparable Denon reciever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.