AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 year old Denon AVR3300. I think the dsp chip is fried- I can listen to stereo ( analog ) sources but nothing

digital. If it is the chip can I get it repaired / replaced ?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Can you do a factory reset and/or processor reset? I would start there, and make sure that something is actually broken. And I'm assuming you checked connections and all that, nothing there is amiss? (such as a cracked optical cable, etc)

Otherwise, you're probably better off putting that money towards a new receiver rather than repairing that one.

Just googling, that appears to be about a $1K retail receiver (if I'm correct in my brief googling!), from as you say nearly a decade ago. Probably not necessarily worth having looked at and fixed, sadly. You could probably replace that with a working used equivalent for less than the cost of fixing it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Almost anything is repairable. Whether it's economically worthwhile to do so is the question.

A decade-old receiver? Probably not. It may be worth getting it looked at, but they're probably not going to replace a failed chip... They'll replace whatever circuit board the chip is located on. If they can even find the part. You'll pay more for parts that way, but you'll actually come out ahead on man-hour charges, and that's really the expensive part of the repair.

I concur with the opinion that it would probably be cheaper to just replace the receiver with a used equivalent, if you don't want to spring for a new one of the same quality.

With all the connector, audio format and processing changes over the last nine years, you're due for a new receiver anyway. Consider it a good excuse to upgrade to HDMI.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I agree with Chris Wiggles and RoboRay...I sent my Denon AVR 4802R to be repaired and found out after 2 months of waiting that the circuit board was no longer available.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/18181565

I agree with Chris Wiggles and RoboRay...I sent my Denon AVR 4802R to be repaired and found out after 2 months of waiting that the circuit board was no longer available.

Wow two months, don't think I can handle that.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
^^

It can still likely be used as a Zone 2 amp so no reason to get rid of it.

@kfox203 -

Denon AVRs are discontinued as soon as a newer model replaces it (generally the next year) with parts likely becoming difficult to obtain roughly 4-5 years after the unit was first released. As suggested, replace the 3300 with a more current model. Note that although the current successor to the 3300 is the 4520CI, several former 3300 owners replaced their units with a 191X model noting an improvement in audio fidelity due to the use of Audyssey MultEQ. Last year's XX12 models have been on clearance at greatly reduced prices, with the 2112CI being the best bang for the buck. Review post #2 in each of the Denon AVR-XX12 and XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to see a comparison of the various models in each series. Choose the one that best meets your feature/input/output/budget requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts