AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 5600 and it is important for me to find out how to use the various video output selections for three reasons.

#1-I hate not understanding how to use a relatively simple device. The manual does not connect with me for some reason.

#2- I need to know where I can always obtain a composite video out signal (for a trigger signal only) whenever the receiver is turned on and no matter what the source selected is. (dvd, vcr, sat. they are all feeding the recvr compos. and s)

#3- I want to use a multiplexer for a distribution system that is already wired. It was working but after some change arounds, I cant find the receiver settings that made it work. I am getting an audio signal only now. Maybe I changed some connections as well over time.

I cannot decipher when to use 'multi' vs 'record out' and what outputs are active and when. It was working so that whatever I was watching at the source end, would be distributed without any intervention. Just tune the remote monitor to the assigned multiplex chanel.

Another source of confusion for me is not knowing whether any given source, say vcr, if it is inputing both a composite and an s video signal, will the receiver output both or just the s?

I understand that it will not output an s where only a composite is inputting and visa versa.

Any clarifications would sure be welcome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong. But this is my stab at helping you out.

The video path for composite video in the amplifier is distinctly seperate from the s-video path. All the amp does is add its on screen display then output the picture. If you have the dvd hooked up with s-video and composite, a vcr with only composite and, say, a satelite tv box with only s-video, then you will be able to output only the vcr and dvd composite video signals on the composite cable. Similarly, the s-video cable will only be able to carry the s-video signal from the dvd and the sat box. It will not be able to carry the vcr signal.

So for your distribution system, if it runs on composite video, then it would be wise to have all your video inputs using the composite video - ASWELL AS whatever else you use, eg, s-video or component.

I believe the multi out on the amp is only in the form of pre-amp outputs, correct? If my assumption is correct, then I think the amp can only output audio to that second zone, and not picture. And the audio will vary in volume depending on what the "multi" volume is set to.

If you wire up your distribution system to the vcr rec output on the amp, then when you select rec out with the amp, that source will be transferred through the vcr out cables into the dist system. And the volume will always be at standard line level. This would then enable you to adjust the volume in the other rooms independently. (actually, this really depends on what type of system you are using) So you could be watching a DVD in your main HT, and you could select rec out to be the sat box. Then your dist system would have the satelite to watch and listen.

If you have rec out set to "source" then what ever you watch in the main room is what everywhere else will get.

Any more questions? I hope this has helped.

Matt

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

Thanks for your advice. I will try going forward with the assumptions that you are correct. One point though is that the 'multi out' output has both audio and composit video. Maybe you are right about the audio only on one setting but, maybe you get both on some other setting?

Do you know if the on screen display is only output on s or composite or both?

I understand that you say both composite and s video outputs are active at the same time, providing they each have their respective inputs connected. Do you know if it is also the norm for source devices, sat, vcr, dvd, to provide both signals out as well, if both are connected?

Your 'rec out' explanation helps but I don't know what the alternative setting from that button 'M-source' is for. Would that just output audio from the 'multi out' section? Leaves me with why the video output along side the audio outs. Dont VCR outputs on the receiver always output whatever is playing anyway?

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. I hope I don't sound ungrateful.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had no success. I talked with a Denon 'tech?' who told me that if both composite and s are input, only the s survives. This may be true. However, I did have the multiplex set up working before with all the composite and s connections I now have. I can't figure.

The manual says that the DAT/Tape and VCR should output signals in the Multi Mode. It does not address the composite and s issue, only that they are separate circuits.

Any other ideas or where to get answers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is a pity that the manual doesn't make sense to you.... The Denon manuals have a habit of doing this.

The onscreen display is shown on both composite and s-video. It is not shown on Component output.

Can I ask of you a question. Do you wish to be able to control the volume of the extra zones with the denon amp? Or do those rooms have their own volume control and amplifier?

I have been searching for an online manual for the 5600, but have had no luck, so my answers are really going to based on what i know from my experience with my 3801. And unfortunately, the answers my be misleading.

The output of video on sources such as vcr, sat, dvd etc, almost always has s-video and composite video simultaneously output. So if you have all possible composite and s-video sources wired into the back panel of the amp, you should have no concern. As far as I know, the amp will not cancel out any signal if both are being hooked up.

So with reference to what the "tech" said, I disagree. If you have both the s-video and composite video output (and both have an identical signal running through them) connected to the same input of a television, then the TV will usually always select the s-video input over the composite. Perhaps that is what he meant. I have no idea why he would say that though.

So you have had it working perfectly before? So at least we know it is possible!!! lets keep at it okay?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I do have control in the remote location of volume.

I don't think the Denon guy was really interested in thinking when I talked to him. I think you are probably right on the video output because if they are separate circuits why would one cancel the other? Yes, I will keep at it. Going to retrace the distribution coax I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.