AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Denon 6200 and the Samsung k8500 4K BR player. I could not get the receiver to output Dolby Atmos sound.

All the speakers would work in different modes but the 6200 would never display 'Atmos' on the display and the option was not available when the green movie button was pressed (or in the app).

After re-running audessy and checking connections and other things the issue ended up being an audio setting in the k8500.

The 'Digital Output' in the audio section must be set to Bitstream (Unprocessed) instead of PCM.

Now that its in the real Atmos mode my favorite scene so far is John Wick Ch 15. The rain sounds fantastic.

I'm running 7.2.4 with an Onkyo amp driving the rear Atmos.

If this helps someone it was worth the time to type.

Reactions: @TJ

·
Premium Member
88,902 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some searching for the issue but I guess I didn't use the right descriptions! Some of these threads are long!

Anyone else have a favorite Atmos bluray scene?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOW I see it!

y. Why "Multi Ch In" and not DD/DTS/Dolby TrueHD/DTS MA HD/Atmos/DTS:X?: This is because your source device (eg. Blu Ray player or HTPC) is set to "PCM" and so it is decoding/uncompressing the audio to PCM. If you want the AVR to do the decoding (although it won't matter audio quality wise which one decodes it) so you can see the compressed audio track on the AVR's front panel display then set the source device to "bitstream" with either the Secondary Audi/BD Audio Mix set to OFF. Note that when playing an ATMOS or DTS:X BD (after installing the DTS:X firmware update, ETA early 2016), the source device must be set to "bitstream"/Secondary Audio (OFF).

·
Premium Member
88,902 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JD!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts