AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know what all Audyssey does to subs when it is ran. I have a Denon 2113ci and have two subs that I would like to compare individually. If I run Audyssey with one sub will it mess up the other sub's performance (other than the sub level setting)? What settings should be turned on or off? Thanks.

·
Vendor
5,457 Posts
So I don't know what all Audyssey does to subs when it is ran. I have a Denon 2113ci and have two subs that I would like to compare individually. If I run Audyssey with one sub will it mess up the other sub's performance (other than the sub level setting)? What settings should be turned on or off? Thanks.
If you don't mind a bit of time between the A/B effect...you really should rerun audyssey for each one. And try to place the two subs as close together as possible too...maybe even stacking them.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind a bit of time between the A/B effect...you really should rerun audyssey for each one. And try to place the two subs as close together as possible too...maybe even stacking them.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom. They are currently stacked so I at least did that part right. When running audyssey what is the minimum number of positions recommended for a good calibration?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428189142.918541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running at five positions currently. Hope that's enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
11,379 Posts
I'm running at five positions currently. Hope that's enough.
Audyssey.com: How to MultEQ
Measurement Tips

The first measurement must be taken in the middle of the listening area. After that, the exact location of each measurement is not critical, but be sure to follow these guidelines:

- Use only the microphone included with your AVR. If you cannot find it, contact the manufacturer for a replacement.
- Attach your microphone to a tripod.
- Take the measurements at ear height and with the mic facing the ceiling.
- Start the measurements from the primary listening location and spread out from there. - - Approximate distance from the first measurement position is 2 feet in any direction.
- Focus on the central listening area and avoid extreme positions such as the back wall or too far beyond the left and right speakers.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
They are currently stacked so I at least did that part right.
You should not stack subs if one is not being used, the second sub will act as a bass trap.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should not stack subs if one is not being used, the second sub will act as a bass trap.
Going to make extra work for me eh? :rolleyes: If I'm re-running audyssey I guess I could take the time to swap the subs out too. The two subs are SVS PB-1000 and PSA XS15se. I think the main debate will be if the XS15 gets enough room gain in my 3300^3ft room to match or beat the low end of the PB-1000. Will the easiest way be to find test tones online to run and just try to hear which one holds the volume at the low freqs?

Sub placement is like 3ft from mlp at the end of my 6ft long couch.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I'd use both subs. You might have enough SPL with one, but you can't smooth room response with just one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd use both subs. You might have enough SPL with one, but you can't smooth room response with just one.
My original thought was to maybe buy a 2nd PB-1000. But figured when I got a house I would end up wanting bigger than the PB's. Found the XS15 for a good price and figured that would be as good or better 1 vs 1 and more future proof when I move. I'm in a condo so space is rather limited. Plus neighbors (but my immediate neighbor that shares living room walls said she couldn't hear me watching Pacific Rim). I think if I went duals now I'd want to match the subs right and not try to get these two to try and play nice together?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I think if I went duals now I'd want to match the subs right and not try to get these two to try and play nice together?
Ideally used matched subs, but a bird in the hand....
Since you have them there's no reason not to try them together. Place the first using the sub crawl, put the second on the other side of the room.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ideally used matched subs, but a bird in the hand....
Since you have them there's no reason not to try them together. Place the first using the sub crawl, put the second on the other side of the room.

Sadly the only two places to put subs are each end of the couch. No point in doing crawl as There's no other space right now.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Just want to point out that with your AVR you can save the current config with the web interface. Just run Audyssey on both subs and save each config, you can then re-load each one to your heart's content without having to re-run Audyssey each time. ;)

The save/load with the web config isn't exactly fast, but it takes less time than running Audyssey.

Sadly the only two places to put subs are each end of the couch. No point in doing crawl as There's no other space right now.
Might work out, might not........without placement options, your sub's response could be severely neutered. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts