AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front display on my unit will not work anymore. Tried dimmer button on remote, on receiver, did a factory reset, set/unset direct mode - nothing will turn on the front display. I get output in TV though and everything else works. So ended up calling Denon. I guess the person I talked to woke up on the wrong side of the bed. At any rate, I did not feel good at all with their support process. I bought this Denon on 2/2/2015 - just a hair over month old. All they did is redirect me to some third party repair center. They said shipping is on me. I am just trying to find out who has the liability if anything else is to happen with my unit. For instance (again this is just my mind running), no response from repair center, crappy repair job, etc. etc. I do not think I ever dealt with a company that just redirects you to third party repair shops. So, trying to find out what other people experience is.

My unit is AVR X-1100W

·
Premium Member
93,175 Posts
This has been discussed in the Owner's thread linked below and is listed in post ##4 of that thread as a known issue. Standard policy is for the owner to ship (or deliver if local) the unit to an authorized repair facility and the warranty will cover repair and return shipping costs. As you are only 30 days out, you may want to discuss with the dealer who sold you the unit and they may be able to swap it out for a new unit.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html#post24721981

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have this issue now too. It's a refurbished AVR-X1100W from Accessories4Less. Had to spend $19 to ship it to Huntington Beach, Calif. Huge drag, but glad I'm not alone. Clearly a product design issue using crappy parts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me too!

I have had the "no display" issue since my unit was 3 months old. Bought it in December 2014. Display died in March 2015. No service centers near me - I will have to ship it out, but that means I will be without it for a while. That's why I have put up with the issue for so long. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fuse update

Well that was quick. I just pulled to cover off and found the fuse. Tested it with my meter and it was in fact blown. I soldered in a test jumper and powered it up and the display works again :) Guess I'll be ordering a replacement fuse for it now.

FYI, the fuse you need is this model here:

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/axial-radial-thru-hole-fuses/tr5-fuses/372/37201000411.aspx

Mouser and Digikey have them in stock for 81cents each. I'm going to order a few and a fuse holder socket in case it pops one again.

Thank you user jmill892001 for the original post! Saved me a lot of downtime and shipping.

·
Premium Member
93,175 Posts
Well that was quick. I just pulled to cover off and found the fuse. Tested it with my meter and it was in fact blown. I soldered in a test jumper and powered it up and the display works again :) Guess I'll be ordering a replacement fuse for it now.

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/axial-radial-thru-hole-fuses/tr5-fuses/372/37201000411.aspx

Mouser and Digikey have them in stock for 81cents each. I'm going to order a few and a fuse holder socket in case it pops one again.

Thank you user jmill892001 for the original post! Saved me a lot of downtime and shipping.

Excellent! Thank you for posting this information. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts

Did you replace the fuse with the one on the link you posted? Is it still working?

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW - my AVR-S700W was still under warranty, so I took it to Denon authorized MTC (http://www.mtcservice.com/) for the free repair because I heard about a TSB so maybe they had info on that. Turns out in addition to the Fuse, they also replaced a capacitor. The repair summary I got said replace one each of:
100MA FUSE - Part No 943652000620S
CAPACITOR - Part No 63V/47MF

I wonder if there is an issue with a wrong size cap causing the widely reported problem of the fuse blowing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same issue/same fix

FWIW - my AVR-S700W was still under warranty, so I took it to Denon authorized MTC (http://www.mtcservice.com/) for the free repair because I heard about a TSB so maybe they had info on that. Turns out in addition to the Fuse, they also replaced a capacitor. The repair summary I got said replace one each of:
100MA FUSE - Part No 943652000620S
CAPACITOR - Part No 63V/47MF

I wonder if there is an issue with a wrong size cap causing the widely reported problem of the fuse blowing.
I had same problem occur on my s700w 13 months after I bought it new. Luckily it was covered under the 2 yr warranty. Found PanurgyOEM in NJ about 1/2 hour from my house as an authorized Denon repair center, and couldn't be happier with their service. They couldn't be nicer, fixed in 2 days. Fuse and capacitor replaced, as noted on invoice:

Fuse => Fuse(0.1A 372 series/tr5) (part# 943652000620S)
Capacitor=> 470uF 63v Cap (part# UPW1J470MPD)

Although I had to drive 1/2 hr each way, I found a wonderful Italian deli not far from them which made it worth both the trips!

I wonder if those who replaced both the fuse and capacitor have had the display turn off again, per comment above speculating on a possible fuse/capacitor mismatch.

·
Premium Member
6,450 Posts
A search of this forum helped me find this, and here's why I went looking:

About two months ago I helped my cousin get his HT set up. He has a Denon AVR-S700W that he bought at Best Buy, I think an open box special. A couple of weeks later he called to report the display had gone black. Checking with BB, they sent him to Denon who said it's still under warranty but he has to ship it to NJ. He's still sitting on it.

Now fast forward to today. I had seen an ad on the local Craigslist for a "Denon 700S" and after 5 days of delay, I drove an hour each way just to find out his AVR-S700W has the exact same problem. He was asking $120 for it but never mentioned in his ad nor in about 5 e-mails that the display was dead. No, he waited until I was at his door to tell me! I told him that without a warranty I'd be paying shipping both ways to the repair station in NJ plus the repair itself and still have a 3 year old used receiver with no warranty, so $10 was a fair offer.

So what do you all think? Should I go back with a few bucks more, order parts (where, btw?) for two AVR-S700W's and bring them to my friend that's 1-1/2 hours away to have him swap out the fuse and capacitor on both? I know he'd do it for under $60, as it's probably a 10 minute job per unit.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts