AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on placement of the 2 surround back speakers. I have a Denon 5803, and am using (2) Polk f/x 1000 bi-pole/di-pole. Need to know distance to space speakers apart. Room is 16' X 21' and will be used mainly for movies. Building walls right now and wanted to put in extra studs at the right spots. Did a search but did'nt find much, and the Denon manual is not much help. Thanks for any help. Paul.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Paul,

THX recommends placing surrounds at either side of the listening position, and the 2 back surrounds behind the listening position and very close to each other, about a yard or 2 apart at most. This makes sense as the 2 back surrounds are in reality a rear center channel both reproducing the same thing.

I've read that 2 are used rather than a single center rear speaker because of an acoustical anomaly that can sometimes make the rear center channel with a single speaker actually sometimes sound like it's coming from the front.

Hopefully others will chime in and shed more light on this.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is also recommended to only use di-pole/bi-pole for your side surrounds, and to use direct/standard configured speakers for your back surrounds. I don't think you'd want those (f/x1000's) speakers placed a yard away from each other with their angled array configuration. You might want to go with the Polk RT55i's for your back surrounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've got two pair of the f/x 1000's, with one pair of the side surrounds directly at the side of the viewing position, and the other pair for the surround back. I originally had them mounted 65" off the floor to the center of the speakers, and each spaced one foot from the center of the viewing position so that they were 2 feet apart center of speaker to center of speaker. This was in the basement with unfinished walls (it sounded pretty good to me, but I don't have anything to reference it to). This will be my first enclosed theatre, and I know the sound will be totally different in an enclosed room. Want to avoid moving the speakers around a bunch of times. It would also be nice to have a stud in the right place for each speaker and have the wall box hidden behind the speaker. The Denon manual really does'nt take a firm stand on surround set-up. They show direct-radiating surround back speakers in all of the diagrams, but they don't say in the write-up whether these should be direct-radiating or bi-polar/di-polar. The main reason I went with 4 of these speakers is because I got a real good deal on them, and I hoped that these would create a more enveloping surround. Please keep the advice coming. Also if a yard apart is too much, then what do you recommend? Thanks, Paul B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.