AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go multi-channel and I've settled on the Energy take 5.2 speaker system. Problem is, the dealer with energy's doesn't have a receiver I want. I'm torn between the Denon 1802 or the Onkyo 595. Both sound nice to me, but maybe someone out there has more insight into the amp/speaker combo I'm considering.

This is for movies only. I've got too much money in my audio system to combine the two rooms. (besides I don't think any home theater system will touch my Exposure/Dynaudio system on music).

So for reproducing soundtracks with the Energy speakers- what do the experts (that's you people) think? Onkyo or Denon? It's hard to tell without comparing them side by side with the speakers. anyone have any opinions or used either of these amps with the Energy speakers?

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've got the denon 1802, it's my first AVR. I really like it. Now if only someone near me would carry the Energy 5.2's!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
IF both have the DLP II then I recommend the Onkyo. I have had the 575 for a year and half and I have been happy with it. My only complaint is not enough power. It is a high current amp, but with it wide open I still blew a tweeter from trash sent through the amp. I don't run it wide open anymore but it does sound great though I would condsider Denon for my next purchase.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A friend of mine just recently got a denon 2802 and I love it (he does too ;)). My receiver is a yamaha rx-v995 that I've had for a few years and paid $1200 for. His 2802 was $600 and sounds great! I think the DSPs and DACs have improved a lot because yamaha was known for theirs but the new denon blows it away.

The denon also seems to have more features and inputs than the onkyo, which is very important in the long run.

If I were in the market today, I would either be buying separates or denon.

jake

·
Registered
144 Posts
"FWIW" I am not familiar with the models you have mentioned. However, when I was looking for my receiver, I too was looking at a Denon and Onkyo products. I elected to go with the Onkyo Intergra 9.1 and have no regrets. The Onkyo unit produces a very clean and rich sound with lots of features. The thing that persuaded me was the Onkyo's ability for software upgrades. Once again, I am not familiar with these particular units, but I hope the input helps. Is the Onkyo unit you are refering to upgradable? If so, you may want to consider this into the equation as the technology of sound processing is ever evolving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.