AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for weeks now on a new receiver. I have it narrowed down to 4. I would love to get some input on both Yamaha and Denon. My choices are the Denon AVR-3806 and the 2807. And on the Yamaha side, the RX-V2700 and the 861.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,225 Posts
Yamaha makes good products, but I would go with the higher current/heavier design of the Denon AVR 3806 or see if you can find an AVR 4306. The AVR-2807 is newer and I don't know what your requirements for video switching is, but for audio I would go with the 38XX series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/0


Yamaha makes good products, but I would go with the higher current/heavier design of the Denon AVR 3806 or see if you can find an AVR 4306. The AVR-2807 is newer and I don't know what your requirements for video switching is, but for audio I would go with the 38XX series.


I currently have:

50 inch sony grand wega 1080p

Comcast HD cable (HDMI)

Toshiba A20
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
In my opinion no one makes a better HT receiver than Yamaha. Their processor side is the best you can get. I would get the Yamaha and get a separate amp that would be awesome. On its own the Yamaha is still better in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
You will almost certainly NOT be able to find a A-Stock (new) Denon AVR-3806. They are significantly back ordered and I'm not sure if production as ceased or not but the new receiver line from Denon will be coming out soon...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
You'll get plenty of recommendations for either brand, they both have dedicated followings. I personally prefer Denon, as they have a proven track record with me. In reality however, you can't go wrong with either. Pick what looks/performs best to you and rest assured you have a great receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,946 Posts
I don't have a Yamaha AVR, but I do own several older pieces of Yammie gear. They've all been perfect in reliability except for one cold solder joint on my preamp that showed up after ~20 years in service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I personally prefer the audio section of the Yamaha's over most all receivers out there and the 2700 is first rate at it. As good as the Yamaha's are though I prefer the reliability of the Marantz units. You might add it to your list as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Interesting, I have a Marantz SR8500 purchased Oct. '06 and it's been in the shop once for video switching that quit working and now my main amp channels quit. Back to the shop it goes...at any rate, I can't say much for Marantz reliability unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/0


You'll get plenty of recommendations for either brand, they both have dedicated followings. I personally prefer Denon, as they have a proven track record with me. In reality however, you can't go wrong with either. Pick what looks/performs best to you and rest assured you have a great receiver.

I've owned the Yamaha RXV 793, 795, and 800. I was happy with my Yamaha AVR's in a smaller room when paired with less demanding speakers. It wasn't until I moved that same setup in a larger room that I realized the differences in AVR manufactures.


When I purchased my current Klipsch reference setup I moved my Klipsch Legend HT to a larger room with the Yamaha RXV 800 and I could not get it loud enough without it becoming bright to my ears. I tried a Pioneer with similar specs and it kept shutting down at higher volumes. It wasn't until I found a deal on the discontinued Denon AVR -3803 and was surprised at how well it performed in that larger room. I became obsessed with finding out why (given that I thought Watts-Per-Channel were a uniform/accurate statistic) the difference in sound and that is where I found that those numbers are not an accurate representation of what AVR's were actually delivering. What I discovered was that the Denons were heavier and a high-current design, whereas the others were not.


Now that I own a Denon AVR 4806, 3805 and 3803, I will not purchase another AVR brand and my next step will be separates as soon as I can justify the cost. {edit: or convince myself that I will have substantial improvement}Of course YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/0


Interesting, I have a Marantz SR8500 purchased Oct. '06 and it's been in the shop once for video switching that quit working and now my main amp channels quit. Back to the shop it goes...at any rate, I can't say much for Marantz reliability unfortunately.

Denon & Marantz have some of the lowest failure rates in the industry.... Unfortunately, it has to happen to someone, and no one wants it to happen to them....


In the general sense, the products from both companies are very reliable....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC /forum/post/0


Denon & Marantz have some of the lowest failure rates in the industry.... Unfortunately, it has to happen to someone, and no one wants it to happen to them....


In the general sense, the products from both companies are very reliable....

Are you sure? Maybe just a lot of the Denon owners who experience failures post it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC /forum/post/0


Denon & Marantz have some of the lowest failure rates in the industry.... Unfortunately, it has to happen to someone, and no one wants it to happen to them....


In the general sense, the products from both companies are very reliable....

I'll agree that Yamaha and Denon have very low failure rates. But Marantz has a higher rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
ive been an owner of both over the years, both are solid products. i would give yamaha a slight edge in reliablity, but yammies are much more bright/forward sounding than denon. klipsch and yamaha is almost always a bad pairing imo...they are quite different sounding, so you should listen to both and see what you prefer.


yammies have too many cheezy dsps, but if thats your thing, u will love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed /forum/post/0


Are you sure? Maybe just a lot of the Denon owners who experience failures post it here.

I work for both companies.... Denon obviously has a much higher Consumer base than Marantz so it would seem you are exposed to more users with Denon issues as opposed to Marantz on these forums....


Overall both companies have very low failure rates out of the box....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,694 Posts
I recently had both the Yamaha 2700 and the Denon 4306 - IMO I think the Yamaha is a better value and sonically I would give the Denon a slight edge.


I found the HDMI in the Yamaha was a bit cleaner on the video side and had less sync issues than the Denon.


If you intend to use the Auto Room EQ's as "set it and forget it " Denon's Audyssey is superior to the YPAO.


If you intend to use the Auto Room EQ's as a starting point and tweak it to your tastes - Yamaha's YPAO has more tweakabilty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
When I purchased my Denon receiver some 5 years ago I got it thinking I had done the research and found that they were reliable and built well. I am not one that listens for differences in amplifers because I don't feel like I can hear a difference. However, I do want undistorted power and as much of it as I can get and that is why I bought my Denon. Have I been duped into thinking that Denon is a mid to high level company but in fact is more along the lines of a Kenwood?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston /forum/post/0


When I purchased my Denon receiver some 5 years ago I got it thinking I had done the research and found that they were reliable and built well. I am not one that listens for differences in amplifers because I don't feel like I can hear a difference. However, I do want undistorted power and as much of it as I can get and that is why I bought my Denon. Have I been duped into thinking that Denon is a mid to high level company but in fact is more along the lines of a Kenwood?

I don't think you've been duped at all, Denon has products in every level or price point; they do have products that are the equivalent of a "Kenwood" but by the same token they also manufacture some state of the art equipment and everything in between. They tend to be a company that charges a premium for their new technologies in flagship products but those technologies filter down to their lower priced products faster than anyone else in the industry as far as I can tell.


There is a school of thought that says that all properly built amps that have suitable power to do the job should sound alike. I'm not totally sold on that but I think the difference between amps really is one of the least "noticable" of many things you can do to make your system sound better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston /forum/post/0


When I purchased my Denon receiver some 5 years ago I got it thinking I had done the research and found that they were reliable and built well. I am not one that listens for differences in amplifers because I don't feel like I can hear a difference. However, I do want undistorted power and as much of it as I can get and that is why I bought my Denon. Have I been duped into thinking that Denon is a mid to high level company but in fact is more along the lines of a Kenwood?

Kenwood had their heyday back in the 70s and 80s. They were no slouches back then. They must have had some well engineered products.....some former engineers went on to found Accuphase. Every company has followers and nay sayers. People tell me that Marantz and Denon are the same. Having owned some older Marantz gear and a piece of newer Denon gear.......I'd take Marantz any day of the week.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top