AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I am looking to buy Denon x1600h or Denon x2600h but having trouble in finalizing the decision.

My base requirements are sound quality of music and surround sound for movies (occasional) - bit obvious ones but some specifics mentioned below.

Current setup:
- I have 5.1 setup (have two other speakers to make 7.1 but living room is too small to have that many speakers)
- 2 polk audio towers (monitor 70s)
- polk audio 5.1 rm95 surround sound speakers
- 10inch polk audio (psw10) powered sub
- center channel (polk audio cs10)

Receiver : Pioneer vsx-1021k running for about 6-7 years and now fully died (UE22 error) - not looking good for getting fixed and hence need to be replaced.

Requirement:
1. I am looking to get similar or better sound quality (VSX-1021k was pretty good) and good movie surround sound.
2. Capability to listen music by streaming using google music (google home /chromecast) possibly upgrade to Atmos speaker as most receivers have this capabilities now adays. Don't have 4K TV - but I understand, TV would do upscaling and receiver capability may not be needed - pass through should work just fine - incase of upgrade on TV.
3. I am also looking to bi-amp the unit (hence was not looking at Denon s750h or s950h as they do not have bi-amping and currently, I have bi-amping in my Pioneer receiver. If either of s750 or s950h had bi-amping would have considered instead of spending these extra money for x1600h - this is the cheapest model I could find that had bi-amping and all that I need - in latest receivers.

Is there any reason I should spend extra $200 dollars for x2600h as I do see all above requirement met in x1600h as well? Currently, there are no deals x1600h is $600 & x2600 is $800 (not even on July 4th) and I don't want to get renewed expensive unit(x2600h) rather get new less expensive unit(x1600h) as too much hastle if I hit a lucky draw of getting a genuine bug fixed unit instead of 'i dont feel like having this model' unit.

I do not consider myself big audiophile also not very savy in technical matters related to audio and as you noticed by my comment, don't want to spend anything more than for something that I do not need or not in a position to use- hence posting to get opinions.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
28,507 Posts
The x1600 and x2600 will sound the same. The difference in power is negligible. If you don't need the 8 HDMI inputs and two HDMI out of the x2600 then save yourself the $200.

Honestly I'd wait a couple weeks to see if the prices drop since they've introduced the 2020 models. just last month the x3500 was $599 and its a far better receiver than the x1600 or x2600. If you have the patience wait and see if a deal like that comes back.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thank you afrogt for your comment. I was waiting for July 4th - but guess have to wait for bit more until there are deals.
The reality is that given supply issues due to COVID, coupled with higher demand for consumer electronics as people stay home more and go out less (and in some cases have more disposable income than before given the stimulus and the extra 600/week from unemployment)... has caused quite the seller's market for AVRs. If you need to upgrade in the next few weeks, or even few months... probably just go ahead and go for the 1600. I've got a 10 year old receiver and was just about to pull the trigger on an upgrade before I decided to wait on the 2020 Denon models. Now that I know I only get 1 HDMI 2.1 input with the 2020 models, I wish I had just gotten a closeout on a 3500h/4500h... because those could both be had for a good bit cheaper than the 3700h. I'm again waiting for closeout prices... but am totally aware that it might be Black Friday or even 2021 before what I'd call a "killer deal" comes along again.

tl;dr: Wait for closeout pricing if you can, but be aware that many others are doing the same thing so you may just have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thank you afrogt for your comment. I was waiting for July 4th - but guess have to wait for bit more until there are deals.
I guess you must wait until something is actually in stock! And I agree with @frogt the differences are the inputs, and like 0.8 dB of power. You should absolutely get the less expensive receiver and with the money saved, add another of your subwoofer. More SPL, but more importantly you can smoothen the bass response throughout the room quite a bit more in many cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts