AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the x1000 right now. It's nice but I need 4k compatibility so it will work with my 2560 x 1440p computer monitor. That's right, I'm using a very nice surround sound system as my desktop computer speakers. It's awesome. Instead of being a HTPC its a PCHT:)

Anyways, I'm torn between the Denon x2000 or the Marantz NR 1604. I know they are sort of like Ford and Lincoln car companies are. The Marantz is more expensive. Why is that? It looks nicer, it has less power. What am I getting for my extra money?

One other one that sounds kinds good is the Pioneer Elite VSX-43. The thing about that one, it has a more aggressive power saving feature even when powered fully on. I really like the sound of that but people on Amazon either glow about it, or dam it to hell.

My speakers are just Polk monitor 30 II's, four of them. A CS1 Center and a PSW10 for my sub. For my apartment, that's plenty of speaker.

So what do you think between the 3?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Denon's max power consumption is 390w

Marantz is 220w

Pioneer is 520w (OMG!)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
And the Cambridge 551R is 700 watts. And it has very low distortion and good sound quality when actually driving SPEAKERS.

The Denon and Marantz have power supplies so wimpy as to be more or less worthless, for driving more than two speakers, and the Pioneer doesn't sound very good either.

If you want to stay under $800, the best AVR is the NAD T748, IMO, which you can get for $600.

Keep in mind that almost all of the published power ratings are for two channels only, and are only tested with an 8 ohm resistor for a load. That makes those ratings essentially 100% useless for comparing AVR performance and sound quality, because they tell you nothing about how high the DISTORTION is with a real-world load!

That tells you almost NOTHING about what they will do when driving 5 real speakers.

Speakers are a far more difficult load, due to their inductance, capacitance, and different impedances at different frequencies, and distortion can be 100 times as great driving a speaker, as opposed to an 8 ohm resistor.

NAD and Cambridge Audio design their amplifiers and power supplies to drive speakers, not just to generate phony worthless specs that are not backed up by real performance.

The others design to maximize profit and cut corners in all the wrong places, and that's why their AVRs sound lousy driving real speakers.

40 or 50 watts is plenty for almost any speaker, if distortion is kept low.

80 or 120 watts is worthless when the distortion is too high.

BTW-4K source material is almost non-existent. Making that a priority seems questionable to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4K isn't a priority for me at all. But 2560 x 1440p is. A 4K receiver can pass a 1440p resolution.

I'm actually not looking for the most powerful but rather the most power efficient off the wall socket. The notion of running 500w off my wall socket seems ridiculous to me. But I still want good sound.

·
Registered
744 Posts
"max power consumption" ...maximum being the key word ....

I doubt any of these AVR's often reach there max power consumption. I would not let that effect your choice in which one to buy.

Reactions: jonainpdx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts