AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts.
I am a total Newbie to Audio and I am trying to configure a decent surround sound (5.1 for now possibly 5.1.2) for my Family room. In the mid-range I am kind of looking at Denon avr x-3200/3300 series against Marantz sr5010/5011. Pl share your thoughts and expert advice. Additional recommendations are most welcome as well. Appreciate your help and guidance.

want to do a separate setup for full home theater later on couple of years down the line with wider range of options on receiver and speakers and budget :)

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
The X3200W is a higher level model with more features, although the SR5010 is likely to be the better choice if you enjoy serious 2CH music listening and don't need the X3200W's additional features. Refer to the first few posts in each of the following threads for more information on each model.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2026153-official-marantz-2015-nr-1506-1606-sr-5010-6010-7010-av7702mkii-owner-s-thread.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The X3200W is a higher level model with more features, although the SR5010 is likely to be the better choice if you enjoy serious 2CH music listening and don't need the X3200W's additional features. Refer to the first few posts in each of the following threads for more information on each model.

@jdsmoothie - Thanks for pointing me to the posts.... After reading thru the links I am kind of more inclined towards Denon 3200.
I see that you deal with Def Techs as well. What do you think of BP8060s vs BP9060s ?
I really liked the detail of the sounds and clarity at both low and high freqs... Far superior to a good number of speakers I listened to. Although could not quite hear the Bass from built in Subs. a) The SVS in the corner was dominating and b) the builtin subs werent explicitly wired with CFE.

Are 9060s simply the newer version of 8060s or quite a bit of an upgrade? What do you think of good choices for Center speakers for this combo ?

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
@jdsmoothie - Thanks for pointing me to the posts.... After reading thru the links I am kind of more inclined towards Denon 3200.
I see that you deal with Def Techs as well. What do you think of BP8060s vs BP9060s ?
I really liked the detail of the sounds and clarity at both low and high freqs... Far superior to a good number of speakers I listened to. Although could not quite hear the Bass from built in Subs. a) The SVS in the corner was dominating and b) the builtin subs werent explicitly wired with CFE.

Are 9060s simply the newer version of 8060s or quite a bit of an upgrade? What do you think of good choices for Center speakers for this combo ?
Yes, the 90X0 models are the newer Def Tech models. Regardless of the built in subs, you'll still want to set the crossover of the towers to either 60Hz or 80Hz and let the SVS sub handle the lower frequencies and doing this will provide more headroom for the AVR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the 90X0 models are the newer Def Tech models. Regardless of the built in subs, you'll still want to set the crossover of the towers to either 60Hz or 80Hz and let the SVS sub handle the lower frequencies and doing this will provide more headroom for the AVR.
Where do we set the Cross over to 60hz or 80hz
Additionally, On the Denon X3200W could you pl help me with couple of things?
1) Use of different connections on X3200:

I am getting a couple of A60s to go with the 8060s. I am imagining the connections go like this
Front-L -->first 8060
Front-R --> second 8060
Center - Center channel speaker
SVS Subwoofers through the Coaxial cable from Pre-Outs
Surrond Back L& R - 2 In-wall rear speakers
Surround L-R - Can I use these for the A60s that go with the 8060 towers ? Or they go some place else ?

2) Use of Zone-2 and its HDMI capabilities. I have a old TV that I want to throw in one of the rooms and be able to leverage a lot of the Video inputs coming in to the AVR. Does it need any special set up and how complicated is it ? Given the ports are all used what do I do for a Zone-2 audio or Video capabilities. Can you pl help me with some insights?
Alternately, If video is a challenge I would like to atleast be able to have a Zone-2 Audio for use on my Deck. Can I still do that ? What additional pieces do I need any pre-amps etc ?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
Where do we set the Cross over to 60hz or 80hz
Additionally, On the Denon X3200W could you pl help me with couple of things?
1) Use of different connections on X3200:

I am getting a couple of A60s to go with the 8060s. I am imagining the connections go like this
Front-L -->first 8060
Front-R --> second 8060
Center - Center channel speaker
SVS Subwoofers through the Coaxial cable from Pre-Outs
Surrond Back L& R - 2 In-wall rear speakers
Surround L-R - Can I use these for the A60s that go with the 8060 towers ? Or they go some place else ?

2) Use of Zone-2 and its HDMI capabilities. I have a old TV that I want to throw in one of the rooms and be able to leverage a lot of the Video inputs coming in to the AVR. Does it need any special set up and how complicated is it ? Given the ports are all used what do I do for a Zone-2 audio or Video capabilities. Can you pl help me with some insights?
Alternately, If video is a challenge I would like to atleast be able to have a Zone-2 Audio for use on my Deck. Can I still do that ? What additional pieces do I need any pre-amps etc ?

Thanks for your time.
1. In a 5.1 setup, the "side surrounds" are connected to the SL/SR speaker posts regardless of the fact that you have them placed in the lesser ideal position directly behind you. You would then set the AMP ASSIGN setting to Dolby Front and connect the A60's to the SBL/SBR speaker posts.

2. The Zone 2 HDMI output would be connected directly to the "old TV." You can either use the "old TV's" speakers or connect a 2CH amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs and power a set of Zone 2 speakers to be placed near the TV. Note that the audio going to Zone 2 (if HDMI) would have to be PCM 2.0 or you could connect an analog audio cable along with the HDMI cable for the Zone 2 video.

As this thread was created to compare two models, please post any additional X3200W related questions in the 2015 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html#post34728793

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. In a 5.1 setup, the "side surrounds" are connected to the SL/SR speaker posts regardless of the fact that you have them placed in the lesser ideal position directly behind you. You would then set the AMP ASSIGN setting to Dolby Front and connect the A60's to the SBL/SBR speaker posts.

2. The Zone 2 HDMI output would be connected directly to the "old TV." You can either use the "old TV's" speakers or connect a 2CH amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs and power a set of Zone 2 speakers to be placed near the TV. Note that the audio going to Zone 2 (if HDMI) would have to be PCM 2.0 or you could connect an analog audio cable along with the HDMI cable for the Zone 2 video.

As this thread was created to compare two models, please post any additional X3200W related questions in the 2015 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html#post34728793
Sure thing. Thank you !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts