AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the HTPC forum with no success so I thought I'd try here...

My Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver bit the dust so I bought a Denon AVR-X4000, which is awesome, but I now have an annoying problem. In Windows Media Center when I skip forward or back in recorded or live TV, the receiver momentarily loses signal (usually Dolby Digital) and then clicks back on, regaining the signal. This only happens when skipping or if the over the air TV signal momentarily cuts out. When skipping forward multiple times through commercials this clicking sound is really annoying, enough to offset the rather sizable increase in sound performance. Does anyone know if this is an HTPC or receiver issue, or how I can resolve it?

I'm running an approx 6 year old Core i3 HTPC with onboard Realtek audio. Bitstreaming all codecs, including TrueHD and DTS HD Master work just fine. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so. My Pioneer never lost signal and someone in the HTPC forum who has the same receiver said they don't have a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
This happens with my X4000 on my Tivo. When I fast forward a scene, it looses the signal and as it locks back onto the signal (sound format) it clicks. Same thing happened on my last two receivers too.

Annoying, but it is a small complaint

Jeff

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It's normal with the X4000 - I find it annoying, but I've learned to live with it. When skipping, the AVR is no longer receiving the same signal - I think it's related to the amp switching capabilities of the receiver, because my X2000 doesn't do it. I'm pretty sure the signal is lost with all AVRs, but only the X4000 (and maybe others) clicks when switching surround modes.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
The X-4000 uses an internal relay when selecting and/or changing digital audio streams. The clicking is normal, Denon could have used a quieter, sealed relay but they are more expensive...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the responses, good to know. Did y'all get used to it or is it something that still annoys you? I'm still in the period where I can take it back if I want to.

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
In some cases you can minimize the relay switching by enabling an upmixer for that input. e.g. make sure Dolby ProLogic IIx or z is enabled. In that case, all of the speakers are always enabled so you won't hear the relays disconnecting the speaker channels which aren't enabled.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Mine does the same. It is annoying but it's either that or trade it away....

My old Onkyo 805 didn't do it though.

Seggers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts