AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy is selling a denon x4000 that was in the outlet while there was lightning outside, it possibly got a power surge and it's not working anymore...
The thing is, I wanna know how deep the problem is, the guy is telling me that after unplugging the receiver from the wall for 30 seconds and then replugging doesnt introduce any "clicks"...
I'm not completely sure if thats a good or a bad thing?
Could it indicate that the receiver is bricked? Would it be something that can be fixed or does something need replacing?
Could a power surge go pass the fuses and damage other components too, and how likely is that?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Bad thing. You will need to send into Denon for repair. I suggest you go to A4L and pick up a nice, warrantied unit that works for cheap before I could condone buying someone elses problem.

Of course, there is always ebay for parts, maybe...but I would wager the main board fried and is not worth repairing.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Best case scenario power supply is damaged. Worst case the DSP and processing chips are knackered as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason the guy isnt interested in getting it repaired, he just wants to get it off his hands... I even said that he could send it to a diagnostics centre on my expenses, and if it were to be a small problem then i would buy it, he was not interested...
Could it not be that only the fuse is blown?
I'll see for how much it goes on ebay, anything over 100 bucks is probably overpaid...

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Not likely a fuse problem, rather the HDMI board is blown which would cost about $400 to replace.
Bing, bing, bing-JD is right on. Ask me how I know.
I lost two last year. The repair shop said it was the main board and the HDMI board so $400 is about right, so they said. They couldn't even locate the repair parts, but it was a local shop, not the Mfg. I gave the older Pio to a neighbor kid and the Yammy 2010 is just sitting here. Insurance covered them, but I had to prove they weren't repairable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts