AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
LG CX 65", Onkyo TX-NR545 5.1 Surround, PlayStation 5, PC(i5-8600k, RTX 2080, 16GB 3200mhz)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

What is the general opinion regarding Denon receivers? I鈥檓 afraid my Onkyo is starting to fail, and I鈥檓 on the market for a new receiver馃槶

I鈥檝e been looking at this 4700 for a while now and can鈥檛 find any flaw with it. Does anyone who owns it have any issues with the unit, or can someone recommend something else but around the same price range? Thanks in advance! 馃槃

Registered
denon good onkyo no more

Registered
post here and you'll probably get more thorough answers.

Registered
LG CX 65", Onkyo TX-NR545 5.1 Surround, PlayStation 5, PC(i5-8600k, RTX 2080, 16GB 3200mhz)
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
post here and you'll probably get more thorough answers.

Ah okay thanks!

Registered
I have had the Denon 4700 for 6 months now. Only issue I鈥檝e had is hdmi switching sometimes slow. But that鈥檚 all! Everything else has been awesome. Just order from Amazon (or a company with great service) and you鈥檒l be covered.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the Denon 4700 for 6 months now. Only issue I鈥檝e had is hdmi switching sometimes slow. But that鈥檚 all! Everything else has been awesome. Just order from Amazon (or a company with great service) and you鈥檒l be covered.
Thanks for the answer man! What do you mean by HDMI switching? I鈥檒l run pretty much everything through the receiver 馃

Registered
Hey guys!

What is the general opinion regarding Denon receivers? I鈥檓 afraid my Onkyo is starting to fail, and I鈥檓 on the market for a new receiver馃槶

I鈥檝e been looking at this 4700 for a while now and can鈥檛 find any flaw with it. Does anyone who owns it have any issues with the unit, or can someone recommend something else but around the same price range? Thanks in advance! 馃槃
I have two Denon X3700H AVR. No hands on experience with the 4700, but they are close enough for me to offer an opinion. If I were buying something today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. They were the obvious choice a few months ago (price to performance ratio) and they just work. The only issue with them is the HDMI 2.1 problem - they have created a solution, but an external box is not a great fix. Would have much preferred something internal. With that said, new AVRs are on the horizon and are more than the pipe dream they were at the start of the year.

Depending on the urgency, I might hold on to see if the new AVRs solve the HDMI 2.1 issue properly. If they do, then the recommendation might be different.

Registered
For the most part, it's as simple as that. There's not really a competitor with the same features/price at the moment, especially if you're dealing with "just" 4K HDR 60Hz content.
Marantz models share design since they're from the same parent company, but typically cost more.
You might want to read through the 2020 Denon Owner's FAQ for more background.

I鈥檝e been looking at this 4700 for a while now and can鈥檛 find any flaw with it.
Simple as that huh? Hahaha

Registered
I've had my 4700 for about 6 months as well and it is absolutely awesome. The sound quality is great and was better than the Denon 3808CI that it replaced.

I added an emotiva A3 to the front stage already just because I could and my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and that's all I could think of. I'm going to add two A4 and then put the 4700 in preamp mode.

Would buy again today.

Registered
Right on Denon & Marantz. Onkyo was good pre 4k HDMI 2.1 the amp section was always the best.

Registered
Hey guys!

I've had multiple generations of Denon AVRs (X3700 currently). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Denon to anyone is in the market for a new AVR.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh what guys that鈥檚 some awesome feedback, thanks a bunch and I think i鈥檓 sold. Gonna go to my dealer next week and see if i can get a good offer on it. 馃槉

Registered
When I went to my dealer and asked them for a deal he immediately took $300 off of the MSRP... And that was when they were really scarce and hard to find when they first came out. I had to wait a week to get it.

Not enough people know that little trick.

It's funny because when I said something to the manager out loud about it he immediately gave me a look like "come with me" and took me back into the office and closed the door to do the deal because some other guy was out there looking at the same unit. I suspect that guy paid full price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I went to my dealer and asked them for a deal he immediately took $300 off of the MSRP... And that was when they were really scarce and hard to find when they first came out. I had to wait a week to get it.

Not enough people know that little trick.

It's funny because when I said something to the manager out loud about it he immediately gave me a look like "come with me" and took me back into the office and closed the door to do the deal because some other guy was out there looking at the same unit. I suspect that guy paid full price.
Yeah my dealer has it for 1400鈧, so if i could get 300鈧 off of that I would be golden haha. The more i see of this receiver the more excited i get. I only had entry level stuff up until now, but since i changed my speakers i need smth beefier to power them

Registered
Thanks for the answer man! What do you mean by HDMI switching? I鈥檒l run pretty much everything through the receiver 馃
Switching from apple tv to bluray player inputs on the avr sometimes takes longer than I like. It鈥檚 not a reason to pass on the purchase. The funny thing is when I first purchased it I read soooooo many negative reviews on Amazon. so I got a Marantz. It had a few issues but overall didn鈥檛 like the sound so I returned it. Then said what the hell I鈥檒l try the Denon鈥 now I own 2. Whats my point? Reviews are good, liberal return policies are better!

Registered
Epson 5050 PJ/120', Ascend L/C/R w Raals, SVSx2, SonyHR/BRD, X4700AVR, Buckeye amp, Palliser seating
Hey guys!

I have one. The Denon's have a high quality signal path...meaning very good Dacs/ amps with really high SINADs for AVRs. In fact they measure better than many much more expensive separates. If I had to mention my "issues" with the 4700 in particular I would say in order to get the ouput power and connections I wanted from the 4700 I also had to pay for alot of features it has that I consider useless and will never use. It has no less than 40 RCA jacks but only one HDMI port for it's highest definition video out. It tends to run very warm-to-hot so you might want to run a cooling fan and certainly want to keep it out in the open with the minimum space around it that Denon recommends. I personally think it's remote (which is the same one Denon has used since the 4200 or before)...well my opinion is it sucks and should have been updated several years ago...but on the positive side, It works and I'm familiar with it. lol If you want to add an external amp and simultaneously use some of it's internal amp, it's DACs clip at 1.4 volts out so that severly limits one's selection of amps that are compatible without signal clipping and the internal amps cannot be turned off even when none of them are used when the AVR is being used exclusively as a pre amp/controller. But, that won't effect most users. Here's a good review of the 4700 followed by comments. Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one. The Denon's have a high quality signal path...meaning very good Dacs/ amps with really high SINADs for AVRs. In fact they measure better than many much more expensive separates. If I had to mention my "issues" with the 4700 in particular I would say in order to get the ouput power and connections I wanted from the 4700 I also had to pay for alot of features it has that I consider useless and will never use. It has no less than 40 RCA jacks but only one HDMI port for it's highest definition video out. It tends to run very warm-to-hot so you might want to run a cooling fan and certainly want to keep it out in the open with the minimum space around it that Denon recommends. I personally think it's remote (which is the same one Denon has used since the 4200 or before)...well my opinion is it sucks and should have been updated several years ago...but on the positive side, It works and I'm familiar with it. lol If you want to add an external amp and simultaneously use some of it's internal amp, it's DACs clip at 1.4 volts out so that severly limits one's selection of amps that are compatible without signal clipping and the internal amps cannot be turned off even when none of them are used when the AVR is being used exclusively as a pre amp/controller. But, that won't effect most users. Here's a good review of the 4700 followed by comments. Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)
Thanks for a great reply, I have only ones question for you, if you tested this at all by chance 馃 i will probably end up passing through uncompressed LPCM from PS5->LGCX->Denon receiver. Do you notice any sound lag while doing this, if you have tried doing this?馃槄

Registered
Epson 5050 PJ/120', Ascend L/C/R w Raals, SVSx2, SonyHR/BRD, X4700AVR, Buckeye amp, Palliser seating
Thanks for a great reply, I have only ones question for you, if you tested this at all by chance 馃 i will probably end up passing through uncompressed LPCM from PS5->LGCX->Denon receiver. Do you notice any sound lag while doing this, if you have tried doing this?馃槄
Sorry, I don't game so I can't answer that.

Registered
The maximum output from the DAC IC's in the X4700H at 0dBFS is 2V. The DAC IC is not "clipping" at that level, that's just the maximum output. The DAC filter circuit has a gain of 0dB so the overall maximum output of the DAC circuitry is 2V. This maximum output is not clipped.

The output of the DAC circuitry next goes the volume control that can provide gain or attenuation.

The clean (good SINAD), output limit of the X4700H when a preamp channel is connected to a power amplifier channel is about 1.4V. 1.4V is the limit of the clean preamp output whether the signal path is completely analog using stereo analog inputs and pure direct for example, or uses the DAC functionality.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts