AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, I'm fairly new to this and I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue that I can't seem to figure out. The previous owner of my new house had a 5.1 speaker system installed in the living room walls and wiring for an additional set of speakers culminating in a set of speaker wire plug in jacks in the kitchen. The whole system is wired to originate in a small closet behind the living room wall. I just bought a Denon AVR-E400 to control the entire system, figuring I would use the extra capacity of the 7.1 system to power an additional zone in the kitchen. Everything works great with both audio and visual for the 5.1 system in the living room. In the kitchen, I plugged a pair of Bose 161 speakers into the jacks with 18 avm wire (the wire running through the walls to the receiver is heavier). I believe I set everything up correctly, and I understand the limitations of the second zone with this receiver. I tried to run two sources to the second zone, analog from an LP player and AirPlay from my iPhone, both of which are supposed to work in the second zone. There is definitely sound coming into the speakers (which hopefully means I can rule out a wiring problem in the walls), but it is very faint. I have tried to mess around with all the Zone 2 audio settings on the receiver and nothing seems to bolster the sound. The receiver should have more than enough power to run a small set of speakers like that. Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong and what I can do to fix it? I'm determined to get this working! 

Much obliged,

Noah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested this morning and when I swapped out the front speakers in the living room with the kitchen speakers no sound seemed to be coming out, so it seems like the problem is with the speaker hookup. As to your other question, it's hard to know exactly because it's all in the walls, but I'm guessing it's around 30 ft of wiring. The gauge of the speaker wire running through the wall appears to be thicker than the 18 avm I used to connect from the ports to the speakers in the kitchen. Could that be part of the problem-- that far away from the speaker, do I need to match the gauge for that last connection? I've attached a picture of what the connection looks like coming out of the wall in the kitchen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

....and here is a picture of the hookup in the electronics cabinet, if that's useful. As you can see, the stereo wire going into the wall is much heavier grade. 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts