1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local authorized dealer is GOOB. They have 2 floor models I like:

Denon 2800MKII - Box, manual, remote

Denon 1600 -- No box, no manual, no remote, no nothing

Any comments on which would be better feeding my Sanyo XP21N pj? I'm using a Sony DVP S7000 480i player now. Video quality is the main issue.

(Yes, the 2800 is actually cheaper!)

Anyone know if the Denon warranty is valid on floor models? Sales guy says yes but I don't know . . .

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
The 2800mkII has the chroma upsampling bug. The 1600 does not.

However, the 1600 has a lot of controls that you need the remote for.

Denon's warranty policy is extremely restrictive these days. I doubt it would cover a floor model in either case.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh Z, thanks for response!

I went back today and they sold me the 1600 for $200.00! They suggested going to PARTSOLVERS.COM for an new OEM remote which they had in stock for $48.53 delivered! So, $248.53 for the Denon DVD-1600! I downloaded the Owners Manual/Operating Instructions from the Denon website so all I wind up missing is the box and the cheezy composite cables that I wouldn't use anyhow. Jury still out on the warranty, will revert when I find out for sure!

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.

If the 1600 is a floor model, I'd bet the setup menus have been changed to all sorts of wacky settings. If you don't get a pleasing picture/sound at first, make sure you go through the manual and restore all of the proper settings.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GREAT suggestion, Josh Z. Didn't even THINK about that!

Reading the manual, there is a way to reset all the factory defaults including the password. So, once the remote arrives I'll do that first and hopefully should be good to go.

Any other comments on setup for this player would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Make sure VSS is turned off if you plan to use the analog audio outputs.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by create
Josh Z, thanks for response!

I went back today and they sold me the 1600 for $200.00! They suggested going to PARTSOLVERS.COM for an new OEM remote which they had in stock for $48.53 delivered! So, $248.53 for the Denon DVD-1600! I downloaded the Owners Manual/Operating Instructions from the Denon website so all I wind up missing is the box and the cheezy composite cables that I wouldn't use anyhow. Jury still out on the warranty, will revert when I find out for sure!
I have tried to find "partsolvers.com" on the internet and cannot find them. Is something missing? I've tried both partsolvers.com and www.partsolvers.com and both state server not found.

Kurtis

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE!

I was walking around the now almost empty store that sold me the DVD-1600 and one of the workers is throwing into a dumpster a huge pile of remotes. Guess what? RIGHT ON TOP is the RC551 unit the 1600 uses and it's in perfect condition! The guy told me to take it for free!! So, cancel my unshipped order and final cost now only $200.00 but NO warranty from Denon.

Reset the defaults last night. Hooked up the component cables to my XP21N pj. Threw in AVIA and did some video adjustments (sharpness had to be reduced to 1 from the 11 it was at using the Sony S7000) and threw in 'BELOW'.

Anyone interested in whether progressive makes a NOTICEABLE difference I'm telling you that the difference is a VERY noticeable, 'apparent to everyone in the family' improvement. Everything is simply better. More focused, more detailed, gorgeous colors. I'm sure with time I'll start finding there are flaws and researching the next improvement but for now I could not be happier with the pq!!

Now, if anyone can help with the audio. Have it hooked into my Marantz SR8000 via Optical (no coax in the 1600). Used the PCM settings on the 1600. The SR8000 will not recognize anything but 2 channel audio. Only can get sound from the surrounds if I switch it to the '5channel' setting offered by Marantz. What are the correct menu settings on the 1600 for feeding optical to the SR8000?

Help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by create
Now, if anyone can help with the audio. Have it hooked into my Marantz SR8000 via Optical (no coax in the 1600). Used the PCM settings on the 1600. The SR8000 will not recognize anything but 2 channel audio. Only can get sound from the surrounds if I switch it to the '5channel' setting offered by Marantz. What are the correct menu settings on the 1600 for feeding optical to the SR8000?
You should set the DVD player's audio output to Bitstream, not PCM. If you set for PCM, the player downmixes all multi-channel audio signals to 2.0. Bitstream sends the signal out in its original form.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I bought one of these from PCMall for $249.99 reconditioned and hooked it up and am very happy. I still prefer the CD sound from my Philips SACD1000.

I must tell you that if you listen to the analog output for Right/Left, always connect to the 5.1 front outputs. These use the Burr-Brown chips, if you connect to the Stereo Right/Left outputs you get the sound from the AC3/DTS decoder path and it is not near as good. I bought this to try out DVD-A and it has better Audio components in it than the Panasonic units.

If you ever listen to two channel try the front outputs on the 1600 verses the Marantz decoding, I think you'll prefer the 1600 output. The 5.1 Front outputs work for all Stereo sources plus they are the front for 5.1 sources.

Kurtis

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Josh! Bitstream was the ticket!

Thanks for the advice on the analog outs, Kurtis. Unfortunately, the SR8000 doesn't have 5 channel inputs. If I connect the R/L analog out from the 1600 to the L/R 'DVD' aduio inputs will this accomplish the same thing (for 2 channel listening)?

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurtis Bahr
I must tell you that if you listen to the analog output for Right/Left, always connect to the 5.1 front outputs. These use the Burr-Brown chips, if you connect to the Stereo Right/Left outputs you get the sound from the AC3/DTS decoder path and it is not near as good.
Are you sure about that? That seems the opposite of what would be the logical way to do it. The 5.1 outputs have to go through the DD/DTS decoder path, I'd think, since the player does its own DD and DTS processing when you use those outputs for movie watching. On the other hand, audiophiles are going to want to use the L/R outputs for CD music listening, not the 5.1s.

Here's the problem: I have my 6-channel outputs connected to the 6-channel inputs on my receiver so that I can use DVD-Audio. If I play a 2-channel audio source and select the DVD player's 6-channel analog outputs, it sends the signal out as only stereo through the front two speakers and it bypasses the receiver's ProLogic matrixing. It is impossible to decode a matrixed center or surround channel using this method.

I have my 1600 connected by 9 separate cables: a Toslink optical for 5.1 movie watching, the analog L/R for 2.0 movies or CDs, and the 6-channel analog outs for DVD-Audio.

I was under the impression that both sets of analog outputs went through the Burr-Brown DACs. If you are getting inferior sound through the 2-channel outs, the player may have VSS or the headphone option set to On as a default. I had this problem at first. Make sure these are turned Off in the menu (you'll have to read the manual carefully to find that section) and then check again.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Are you sure about that? That seems the opposite of what would be the logical way to do it. The 5.1 outputs have to go through the DD/DTS decoder path, I'd think, since the player does its own DD and DTS processing when you use those outputs for movie watching. On the other hand, audiophiles are going to want to use the L/R outputs for CD music listening, not the 5.1s.

Here's the problem: I have my 6-channel outputs connected to the 6-channel inputs on my receiver so that I can use DVD-Audio. If I play a 2-channel audio source and select the DVD player's 6-channel analog outputs, it sends the signal out as only stereo through the front two speakers and it bypasses the receiver's ProLogic matrixing. It is impossible to decode a matrixed center or surround channel using this method.

I have my 1600 connected by 9 separate cables: a Toslink optical for 5.1 movie watching, the analog L/R for 2.0 movies or CDs, and the 6-channel analog outs for DVD-Audio.

I was under the impression that both sets of analog outputs went through the Burr-Brown DACs. If you are getting inferior sound through the 2-channel outs, the player may have VSS or the headphone option set to On as a default. I had this problem at first. Make sure these are turned Off in the menu (you'll have to read the manual carefully to find that section) and then check again.
I'm an audiophile so yes I'm pickier than most. If listening to two channel stereo the Front two channels from the 5.1 outputs are better than the Stereo R/L outputs. Philips also did this with their SACD 1000 I also own which is actually better than the 1600 for 2 channel stereo. The expensive parts are added to the decoding of the DVD-Audio signal in the 1600 and the SACD signal in the Philips SACD 1000. The extra addition of cost is not put in the normal R/L outputs as they are not meant for DVD-A or SACD listening.

Kurtis

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
So what can be done to get the 2 channel signal to run through ProLogic or PLII matrixing? I suppose you could connect the front two channels of the 5.1 outputs to the wrong inputs on the receiver, but then you wouldn't get DVD-A.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.