AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any opinions as to which one works better...?

the Pioneer VSX-82TSX has this program and comes with the mic for setting it up...

the Denon AVR-2807 has the Audyssey, and I'm assuming it comes with a mic for setting it up...

does anyone know if the Pioneer passes audio and video through HDMI...? i know the 2807 does...

my main use will be for PS3, and ocassional movie watching...

Thanks...

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDiesel /forum/post/0

any opinions as to which one works better...?

Audyssey is the most advanced room correction in the market presently. MCACC doesn't hold a candle.

Quote:

the Denon AVR-2807 has the Audyssey, and I'm assuming it comes with a mic for setting it up...

You assume correctly.

Quote:

does anyone know if the Pioneer passes audio and video through HDMI...? i know the 2807 does...

If not, one would question why it's there (ie: yes, it does).

Quote:

my main use will be for PS3, and ocassional movie watching...

Given that you don't even list music-listening as a purpose to the system, room correction seems an unimportant factor for your needs. Pick the cheapest option.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Even for movie watching, the Audyssey on the Denon 2807 made a huge difference in my room. Vocals are better focused and the sound stage is much wider with smooth panning. I can also sit off-center with dialog still anchored to the screen.

Room correction, if done well, makes all sources sound better. Music just gets the most benefit.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:

and it seems the Audyssey is mainly for music, so i have zero use for it anyhow...

Where did you get this idea from? It applies equally to music and HT and most of the Audyssey-recommended demos for it are movies, not music.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgeek /forum/post/0

Even for movie watching, the Audyssey on the Denon 2807 made a huge difference in my room.

As did MCACC in mine. I haven't heard any of the other mfrs' automatic room correction routines.

But the fact is , no one has published any sort of rigororous (or even casual, as best I know) comparison of Audyssey vs MCACC vs YPAO vs Harman's room eq, in terms of their effects on the same room, same setup, same listening position. Not even before/after room measurements, much less subjective impressions (Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt. It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple /forum/post/0

(Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt.

Not very likely. We do not review receivers, as a rule so, unless someone is very hot to do this particular test, it will not happen. Don't count on me.

Quote:
It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.

See my forthcoming March column.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well, I'm extremely happy with Audyssey on both, music & video performances.

All I do is - once in a while - to swap between Audyssey & Flat modes, but most of the time it's engaged on Audyssey. My AVR is a 3806.

To my taste, not even manual EQ (which doesn't have Audyssey apllied) surpasses the former. So, IMHO: THANKS Audyssey!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
... or DEVIL, if you see things from a different angle.

Lots of people on this & other forums doesn't like the way Audyssey sounds though.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple /forum/post/0

As did MCACC in mine. I haven't heard any of the other mfrs' automatic room correction routines.

But the fact is , no one has published any sort of rigororous (or even casual, as best I know) comparison of Audyssey vs MCACC vs YPAO vs Harman's room eq, in terms of their effects on the same room, same setup, same listening position. Not even before/after room measurements, much less subjective impressions (Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt. It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.

I sure wish someone would; I think a LOT of people would be interested in the results!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDiesel /forum/post/9585140

and it seems the Audyssey is mainly for music, so i have zero use for it anyhow...

it's hard to get somewhere when you have conflicting information coming from all angles...

apparently YPAO is crap, cause everyone seems to feel the Auddessy is GOD...

They are ALL better than doing nothing which is what many people do. Most don't own an SPL meter. Just because Audyssey is the preferred EQ by many does not make the others crap. And having your a** on your shoulders doesn't make anything sound better.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.