AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of B&W 604 tower speakers not even one month ago. I love them to death and am super protective when i have guests over with kids and their little hands...

I'm really upset right now... mostly with myself. I had been trying to repair a crack in the plastic of a cheap portable dvd player (less than $80) so i had krazy glued it and piled some encyclopedia books on it to put some pressure until the glue dried. Well the glue worked and the crack is fixed... so i went to put the books back and grabbed a stack. I was too careless I guess and the top book slid off... bounced and rolled on the ground and right into the cone of my tower speaker woofer.

ARGHHH!!! I flipped out . almost put a hole through the wall actually. Not even a month old and I $#^$%& up a perfectly mint condition set of speakers that cost me and arm and a leg to save up for.

Anyway I did some research and have tried scotch tape (not strong enough),

krazy glue on the end of a little peice of wood.. (didnt bond to the peice of wood (i only put a drop) rest seemed to disolve on the aluminum)

I also tried the vacume cleaner attatchment and no go..

I've run out of ideas...I also dont want to cause more damage than is already there... here are some pictures so you know what im talking about.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to B&W and ordering a replacement cone... do you think they have replacements or would i need to buy a whole new woofer?

a friend of mine suggested taking it to a body repair shop and using the suction device they have... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I wouldn't want my one of my woofers to look that way, but i don't think that will affect performance.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
IF all else fails i mean nothing can get it out. play a bass heavy track LOUD and that might take it out. one of my freinds did the same thing to one of his car subwoofers he got pissed but it was waht you call and "spl" setup and we where testing so by the third "burp (60 hertz bass note)" the cone popped out by itself.

oh yah and i know what you mean. one of my tweeters blew and def tech replaced it. the same night my son gets happy and decides he want to punch a dent on the CC tweeter when i was working on it grr did i get so mad why in the fudge was i messing with it anyways lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
oh yah and for the tweeter all i did was take apart the cone and smooth it out and it works fine now. but you can do that with a subwoofer but if you never done a recone i wouldnt and i doubt b&w sells recone kits. they might repair it though for you probably for a cheap price. but let me tell you this if yo udont care about the way it looks it does not affect performance at all! well not spl like i said when me and my freind where testing he didnt even drop or gain .1 db with the dented dustcap

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
normally a vacuum cleaner with good suction will pop that baaaby right back out.
Just use the regular round end, don't put any attachments on the end...

·
Registered
727 Posts
1. Put a cover on it.

2. stop looking at it.

3. Burn your books...they are the devil.

As already suggested it might very well pop out on it's own with heavy usage...some metal alloys have "memory" and with just a little help it might just do it.

If nothing else again as suggested it probably can't hurt to see if your Dealer knows any tricks or can make you good offer on a replacement driver.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My cat dented a tweeter on my Alpha 40's. It's still there. Haven't noticed any distortion, but I will fix it someday.

Books are really your friends. They give the impression you're smart.
Besides, books are easier on your eyes than any computer screen.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Sirquack's suggestion of using a vacuum cleaner sounds like it might work. I would start with a low setting and increase as needed. I don't believe it will ever look like new again.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
It's just a dust cover. As long as you didn't damage the cone I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Ian

·
Banned
516 Posts
That just sucks, & I know how you feel. Being I've done this more times than I can remember use some super 33 eletrical tape to pull it out. It is just sticky enough to pull the dent without ripping the cone apart. You will probley have to re stick it several times but it should slowly come out. Being that the cones are aluminum though you not going to have a perfect cone again no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Can you take out the woofer and push it out from behind?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Didn't see that thread.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A lot of the really good companies know stuff happens, and a lot of times if you are straight with them they will simply give you a new replacement or sell it to you for a really discounted rate as you have just purchased their equipment. I always say you don't get if you don't ask, your dealer MAY be able to help but you would probably best be served just calling B&W direct. Sorry for the problem and good luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird /forum/post/0

A lot of the really good companies know stuff happens, and a lot of times if you are straight with them they will simply give you a new replacement or sell it to you for a really discounted rate as you have just purchased their equipment. I always say you don't get if you don't ask, your dealer MAY be able to help but you would probably best be served just calling B&W direct. Sorry for the problem and good luck!

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, I will try a few here that I've read as a temporary fix. I just went to my b&w dealer that I bought the speakers from and explained what happened, they said they will order a replacement woofer and install it for me.

That is a huge relief off my back. I was really bummed about it even though it may not seem like a big deal to many people...

Thanks again

- Ed

·
Registered
742 Posts
You are better off replacing the woofer rather than trying to pull out the dust cover.

Years ago on a pair of my 8" woofers I thought that I was bottoming out one of the woofers because of a snapping sound from one woofer when they were cranked up loud. It turned out that the voice coil dust cover developed a crease that would snap in and out during large excursions of the woofer making the snapping sound that I heard.

I fixed my problem with some clear spray acrylic until I eventually burned out the voice coils after which I sent them off to the Mfg. for new cones and VCs.

I would be concerned about creating a stress fracture in the dust cover if you tried to pull it out. Other than it being visually screwed up the woofer is better off with the dent than it would be if you pulled it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.