AVS Forum banner

9001 - 9020 of 9065 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
As updated this morning, Rabbit Ears (RabbitEars.Info) now has the applications for KWGN, KMGH, KUSA, and KDVR in regards to ATSC 3.0 conversion for RF 34. The KWGN application has the details. The KMGH, KUSA and KDVR applications are to indicate that they are affected by the planned ATSC 3.0 conversion for RF34.

All applications indicate they are "Pending". Though, as noted above, two weeks from now or so, RF34 will be broadcasting an ATSC 3.0 signal.

Update: Applications have been approved.

Also, if you watched "Circle", on 9.6 is going away, as the result moving KWGN's sub-channels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
FaveTV just appeared today on KCNC 4.4.

It is a channel similar to TV Land, Antenna, MeTV, et al.

Of course, Denver is still waiting fro MeTV to return, if ever.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Unfortunately as far as Weigel's concerned, Me-TV already has a presence in the DMA via their O&O station KREG in Glenwood Springs. Obviously it doesn't give them OTA coverage in the city of Denver itself, but it's enough to qualify for must carry status to get on the cable and satellite lineups in the Denver DMA starting with the upcoming 2021-2023 cycle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I gather, Because Weigal is based in Chicago, they do not have concept that a low powered stations doe snot carry across 14,000 high mountains, like it would on the flat land of Northern Illinois. Their plan, was fro Comcast, DISH and DirecTV to carry KREG in Denver. This, at a time where all three are losing subscribers at a rapid clip.

I am surprised they have not pulled Movies! and H&I from Denver, unless that is the plan as the year ends. Right now they are on Digital 16, 26 and 28.

Unfortunately as far as Weigel's concerned, Me-TV already has a presence in the DMA via their O&O station KREG in Glenwood Springs. Obviously it doesn't give them OTA coverage in the city of Denver itself, but it's enough to qualify for must carry status to get on the cable and satellite lineups in the Denver DMA starting with the upcoming 2021-2023 cycle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As of 12/19/2020, 10:45 AM, KWGN is scanning on both RF34 and RF36. The RF36 variant shows "CW" instead of "KWGN-DT" as the call sign.

Also, Titan TV, has added KWGN, KMGH, KUSA and KDVR TV listings with a designation of "NG1". And, a "KWGN-CW"

·
Registered
355 Posts
I noticed that most of the changes have already taken place as of 11:00 AM this morning. I had to rescan to get 2.1 now on physical channel 36. I notice the sub channels are coming from all over the place.

Vitural - Physical
2.1- 36, 2.2-9, 2.3-7, 2.4-7, 3.1 and 3.2-19, 3.3-7, 3.4-30.

Also getting Grit on 19.3-19

My old Sony 2008 KDL-52XBR4 TV is also showing 30.4, 30.5, 30.6 from physical channel 30 but can't decode them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Help me understand 'physical channel'. I have a secondary place in Castle Rock and just use a channel master flat floppy amplified antenna to get a few local channels. It's adequate enough but occasionally get pixilation. I am unable to get channel 2 and channel 7 as of last week. I do get 4,6,9,20,31 and all their low res subchannels and a few others which I am happy to get. I don't spend a lot of time at our Castle Rock location so I'm happy to get a few digital channels at 1080. Perhaps after today, I may now get channel 7? What exactly did channel 7 do today to get a better signal to their marketplace?? Should I expect to now get channel 7 in Castle Rock??

How does one receive a 'physical channel'? What is it?? Please explain. Thanks --Greg--

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks.
Waiting until maybe 4 PM to rescan. It will be interesting to see what glitches beset the ATSC 3.0 signals with the Hdhomerun Quatro 4K. Judging by discussions on the Silicondust ATSC 3 forums covering other markets, it should be real interesting.
Anyone else that can get the new ATSC 3 signals, I would be real interested in seeing any and all comments.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, we now have ATSC 3.0 signals for 2.1, 4.1, 7.1 and 31.1. Using HDHomeRun Connect 4k to view them and I get audio on my Mac and iPhone but no AC4 decoder for AndroidTV or Plex.

Biggest issue is that HDHomeRun shows both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 signals during scan and then only allows you to select ATSC 3.0 signal. Since I have a ATSC 1.0 HDHomeRun also, this isn't a problem (disable ATSC 3.0 channels for Plex and live tv) but there are some teething pains.

In the brief time I've messed with it, we seem to be getting ~4-5mbps on each of the channels compared to 11-14mbps under ATSC 1.0. Picture Quality is nice, but most hardware is a little more glitchy when decoding. And the lack of compatibility for AC4 is tough.

At least ffmpeg seems to be making a little bit of progress:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I noticed that most of the changes have already taken place as of 11:00 AM this morning. I had to rescan to get 2.1 now on physical channel 36. I notice the sub channels are coming from all over the place.

Vitural - Physical
2.1- 36, 2.2-9, 2.3-7, 2.4-7, 3.1 and 3.2-19, 3.3-7, 3.4-30.

Also getting Grit on 19.3-19

My old Sony 2008 KDL-52XBR4 TV is also showing 30.4, 30.5, 30.6 from physical channel 30 but can't decode them.
A fresh scan on the HDHR Quatro 4K does not yet show any ATSC 3 channels. So, perhaps the ATSC 1 changes have been made (yes the scan showed those changes) , but I don't think they turned up the new ATSC 3 channels yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A fresh scan on the HDHR Quatro 4K does not yet show any ATSC 3 channels. So, perhaps the ATSC 1 changes have been made (yes the scan showed those changes) , but I don't think they turned up the new ATSC 3 channels yet.
Hmm.. I'm am definitely getting getting HEVC channels with the same device. I'm located north of Erie, CO with an outdoor antenna...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am receiving 7.1 on two channels, one of which is RF7. I do not have ATSC 3.0, just curious on what other physical channels hs 7.1? The second 7.1 is scanning in between RF15 and RF20. The Tablo does not show physical channels.

AI am wondering, here up in Longmont, that 7.1 is sharing with KSBS, which is RF19, replacing the 720p which was KCDO.

Yes, there are now two Grits on 3.1 and 3.2. 3.4 went away (shopping channel)

Update: I just found in Rabbit Ears KMGH is using KSBS for 7.1 on RF 19.5.

I gather this replaced their planned overlay of RF30 on a 1 Kw signal for Boulder County. and southwest Weld Countny.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
7.1 can come from any of these signals:
KMGH's main RF 7 signal from Lookout mountain
KZCO-LD's RF 30 signal from Lookout mountain (via spectrum sharing host KLPD-LD)
KZFC-LD's RF 26 signal from Windsor
KCDO's main RF 23 signal from Sterling
KCDO's RF 23 translator from Kimball, NE
KCDO's RF 34 translator from Sidney, NE

(And of course the dozen+ translators for rural Colorado)
\

Add KSBS RF19 (RF 19.5 to be exact) also from Lookout Mountain. KSBS shares with KCDO.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just rescanned I have KDVR 31.1, KUSA 9.1, KMHGH 7.1 and, KWGN 2.1 now showing up with HEVC.
Next to see if I can tune any of them with anything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, added it.

Also, the host station for RF 30, KLPD-LD has a construction permit to move to Boulder with this signal:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f9170b21b9a0170bfe984ff0ff2&site=1&map=Y

So eventually the only UHF option for 7.1 from Lookout will be KSBS-CD's RF 19 signal
So, what will remain on KLPD-LD will be what is now is digital 28 channels, The Boulder signal is an overlay of what was KAVC, to get digital 28 up to Longmont/Boulder.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
In the FCC's eyes 7.1 and 7.4 on RF 30 are considered part of KZCO-LD, which is now licensed to spectrum share as a guest station of KLPD-LD, so they will also be staying on the RF 30 signal when it moves to Boulder.

Basically with spectrum sharing, Scripps is still responsible for the regulatory requirements that come with KZCO-LD's license, but all the technical details are now tied to Syncom and KLPD-LD. So when KLPD-LD moves their RF 30 signal to Boulder, KZCO-LD will move with them, which will now help people in that area northwest of Denver, while KSBS-CD's RF 19 signal will continue to help areas to the east of Lookout mountain like metro Denver, Littleton and Aurora.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hope, when it does move I receive Movies! and Decades again. When the repack occurred, the powers that be redirected KLPD-LD and KZDN-LP, away from Longmont. Now, that KMGH signal is on KMGH, KSBS, KCDO, and KZCO-LD, that KLPD-LD and/or KZDN-LP can redirect their signal back north.

KZDN-LP does have a construction permit to redirect RF14 back to the north; it has been active for over a year. It was redirectetd south because of an RF14 in Fort Collins, which turned out, was never on the air. Syncom was able to convince the FCC to redirect the signal, and they have been trying to get the FCC to reimburse the move, because of signal displacement from RF16; and then redirecting RF14 south. And, there it6 has sat since July of last year.

By the way, I live in Longmont, I receive KMGH fine, on KSBS. Much better than on RF7. They way it sounds, I will receive it on three channels, If I had ATSC 3.0; then four channels. What a mess.

In the FCC's eyes 7.1 and 7.4 on RF 30 are considered part of KZCO-LD, which is now licensed to spectrum share as a guest station of KLPD-LD via spectrum sharing, so they will also be staying on the RF 30 signal when it moves to Boulder.

Basically with spectrum sharing, Scripps is still responsible for the regulatory requirements that come with KZCO-LD's license, but all the technical details are now tied to Syncom and KLPD-LD. So when KLPD-LD moves their RF 30 signal to Boulder, KZCO-LD will move with them.

9001 - 9020 of 9065 Posts