AVS Forum banner

9021 - 9040 of 9065 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Help me understand 'physical channel'. I have a secondary place in Castle Rock and just use a channel master flat floppy amplified antenna to get a few local channels. It's adequate enough but occasionally get pixilation. I am unable to get channel 2 and channel 7 as of last week. I do get 4,6,9,20,31 and all their low res subchannels and a few others which I am happy to get. I don't spend a lot of time at our Castle Rock location so I'm happy to get a few digital channels at 1080. Perhaps after today, I may now get channel 7? What exactly did channel 7 do today to get a better signal to their marketplace?? Should I expect to now get channel 7 in Castle Rock??

How does one receive a 'physical channel'? What is it?? Please explain. Thanks --Greg--
I should have used the term RF channel. I am talking about the actual channel frequency the stations are broadcasting on. Before stations went digital channel 4 was on channel 4. Now channel 4 is on UHF channel 35 and mapped to appear as channel 4.1 on your digital TV tuner. Most all other stations do the same now. Exceptions are channels 7 and 9 who still broadcast on VHF 7 and 9 but also are using other UHF channels to improve reception is some areas.

Others on this forum can probably do better explaining it than I can.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting that CBS is the only major network that's not ATSC 3.0 in the market. Wonder if they'll try to get into the game eventually with Univision or Telemundo or PBS...

·
Registered
204 Posts
KCNC is owned by CBS, KMGH (Scripps), KUSA (Tenga), KWGN & KDVR (Nexstar) are actively pursuing ATSC 3.0 technology along with Sinclair Broadcasting. Eventually, CBS (Viacom), Disney (ABC), Comcast (NBC, Telemundo, Univision) and PBS will look at deploying ATSC 3.0.

Base don some of the comments, about one of the few inexpensive consumer options available, there are still things to work out; like audio on streaming devices.

For now, ATSC 3.0 is a very expensive play thing for people who like to be on bleeding edge technology and broadcasters.

Some broadcasters, are looking at selling some of their ATSC spectrum to cell phone companies (like they do not have enough spectrum already). Others, want to create OTA cable TV (akin to existing streaming services), Sinclair may want to use it for Regional Sport Networks (for a fee). PBS may use it fro live education feeds (like the pre PBS days, where public television was college classes for the most part). The future of all subchannles may be replaced by pay options.

Remember, like cable execs, TV execs mentality is still stuck in the early 1980s.

so, fro now, Denver has two ATSC 3.0 channels. One shows promos, and the other shows feeds of ABC, FOX< CW and NBC. Nothing to run out to buy an ATSC 3.0 tuner for.

And, expect more channels to move around, and merge with each other, while the TV execs play with ATSC 3.0 technology. Cramming OTA between RF 2 and RF 36, means that what happened yesterday, will be a regular occurrence.

Interesting that CBS is the only major network that's not ATSC 3.0 in the market. Wonder if they'll try to get into the game eventually with Univision or Telemundo or PBS...

·
Registered
204 Posts
At least, since mid morning, KSBS is no longer broadcasting a signal. KSBS carries KCDO and at least for two days, KMGH. It also carries 10.1 Faith TV (this channel runs movies and family oriented shows). 10.2 This TV and 10.3 JTV. No application filings to redirect the signal or construction permits. Also, Grit was removed from digital 3.2 (now blank). leaving it on 3.1. 3.3 ended up a sub channel off of KUSA. These changes were made yesterday. So far, Scripps has not done their damage with KPXC yet, they bought that station a few months ago, about the same time they bough KCDO/KSBS.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ion's sale to Scripps hasn't been finalized yet, it still has a few more regulatory approvals to go through that won't be completed until early next year.

Also, KPXC isn't going to Scripps, it's one of the 23 stations that will be divested to INYO Holdings, although they have agreed to keep the Ion affiliation for at least 7 years and pick up the Katz networks once their affiliations become available, so in the end after all the Katz affiliations move, the average viewer won't notice a difference between a Scripps owned Ion station and an INYO owned Ion affiliate.

·
Registered
573 Posts
At least, since mid morning, KSBS is no longer broadcasting a signal.
I noticed that too, KSBS was on-air this morning and was off-air for a few hours this afternoon, but they seem to be back up now, so I assume it was due to technical issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks like KSBS returned sometime after 6 PM last night. Also, 3.2 is showing Grit, as well as 3.1.

As for KPXC that is good news, as it will not turn into another KMGH signal source..

I noticed that too, KSBS was on-air this morning and was off-air for a few hours this afternoon, but they seem to be back up now, so I assume it was due to technical issues.

·
Registered
573 Posts
3.2 is showing Grit, as well as 3.1.
Yeah, that kind of puzzles me too. I noticed that 3.1 is HD and 3.2 is SD which is similar to KRMT which added 44.1 a while back which is an SD version of 41.1. Why would they need both an HD signal and an SD signal? It seems like anything that could receive and decode the SD signal would be capable of handling the HD signal. Are there older tuners out there that can only handle SD for some reason?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The weird thing about it; Grit is only a 4809 channel to begin with.

Yeah, that kind of puzzles me too. I noticed that 3.1 is HD and 3.2 is SD which is similar to KRMT which added 44.1 a while back which is an SD version of 41.1. Why would they need both an HD signal and an SD signal? It seems like anything that could receive and decode the SD signal would be capable of handling the HD signal. Are there older tuners out there that can only handle SD for some reason?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ion's sale to Scripps hasn't been finalized yet, it still has a few more regulatory approvals to go through that won't be completed until early next year.

Also, KPXC isn't going to Scripps, it's one of the 23 stations that will be divested to INYO Holdings, although they have agreed to keep the Ion affiliation for at least 7 years and pick up the Katz networks once their affiliations become available, so in the end after all the Katz affiliations move, the average viewer won't notice a difference between a Scripps owned Ion station and an INYO owned Ion affiliate.
The article I read suggests that Scripps will move the Ion signal to KCDO. I'm sure your info is better than my Google search though. The article also mentions a "Newsy" network coming to Ion (apparently it's a streaming channel now?).
Does anyone know how long the usual affiliate deals are for the subchannels? In Denver, if I understand the Katz portfolio correct, it would mean that Bounce would leave Univision and Court TV would leave KWGN eventually to migrate over to Scripps properties.

FWIW - I'm no longer receiving the 16.1-7 or the 26.1-5 channels. Haven't for about a week. I was glad to see KUSA keep Circle as a subchannel as well. My Amazon Recast listed MeTV as 4.2 in the channel guide for a brief moment last week but it must have just been a glitch because it was and is Start TV every time I've checked since. No idea where the Recast gets its programming guide from but it's not very reliable overall from my experience.

The flip to ATSC 3.0 has been a bit unstable from what I've seen - stations off, subchannel re-assignments. I'm sure some people were confused overall. My 2011 Samsung had trouble transcoding the RFs to virtual (got confused between RF 28 and virtual 28- took RF28 out of the channel lineup briefly.)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That article jumped to several wrong conclusions.

The Bay Area station was never going to be sold, any writer that actually knew what they were talking about should have known not to include it in their headline. They had to list the Bay Area, Minneapolis and Philly Ion stations as potential divestments in the rare event that WPIX's sale to Nexstar/Mission broadcasting wasn't approved to keep them under the cap, which was clearly explained in the filings where they listed those 3 stations seperately from the 23 stations that are being divested.

Newsy is not coming to Ion stations, it's just that structure wise they're putting it under a new national networks division that will house Newsy, Ion, and the Katz networks for ad sales purposes. The main Newsy station is still going to be pay TV only, while the "Newsy" that free OTT services like Pluto, Stirr and Xumo carry is a seperate best of/headlines "Top Stories" stream.

The filing also says the 23 INYO stations are keeping the Ion affiliations, so Ion is not leaving KPXC. And considering that most of the divestments are happening in markets where Scripps already has stations, they wouldn't have included the clause to have them also pickup the Katz networks if they intend to keep them on Scripps's non-Ion stations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That article jumped to several wrong conclusions.

The Bay Area station was never going to be sold, any writer that actually knew what they were talking about should have known not to include it in their headline. They had to list the Bay Area, Minneapolis and Philly Ion stations as potential divestments in the rare event that WPIX's sale to Nexstar/Mission broadcasting wasn't approved to keep them under the cap, which was clearly explained in the filings where they listed those 3 stations seperately from the 23 stations that are being divested.

Newsy is not coming to Ion stations, it's just that structure wise they're putting it under a new national networks division that will house Newsy, Ion, and the Katz networks for ad sales purposes. The main Newsy station is still going to be pay TV only, while the "Newsy" that free OTT services like Pluto, Stirr and Xumo carry is a seperate best of/headlines "Top Stories" stream.

The filing also says the 23 INYO stations are keeping the Ion affiliations, so Ion is not leaving KPXC. And considering that most of the divestments are happening in markets where Scripps already has stations, they wouldn't have included the clause to have them also pickup the Katz networks if they intend to keep them on Scripps's non-Ion stations.
Wow, nothing in that article was correct. Thanks for the clarifications.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is a construction permit for RF14 (16.-7, 26.1 5) to redirect its signal from its current orientation, to further northeast. That is,so to include Boulder and SW Weld County in its service area. My guess, they are replacing the transmitter, other receiving funds for station displacement and now they are finally working the move. Also, the owners of RF14, also own RF10, which, like RF14, they were waiting for the FCC to reimburse them for signal displacement. RF10, will be directed to the coverage area, which is now being served by RF14. Thus, the far southeast will still retain Digital 16 and 26. And, Boulder County, and southwest Weld County, will gain Digital 16 and 26. There will be an overlap where people could receive two feeds of Digital 16 and Digital 26.

Newsy is on YouTube TV; I thought it was a cable channel.

The article I read suggests that Scripps will move the Ion signal to KCDO. I'm sure your info is better than my Google search though. The article also mentions a "Newsy" network coming to Ion (apparently it's a streaming channel now?).
Does anyone know how long the usual affiliate deals are for the subchannels? In Denver, if I understand the Katz portfolio correct, it would mean that Bounce would leave Univision and Court TV would leave KWGN eventually to migrate over to Scripps properties.

FWIW - I'm no longer receiving the 16.1-7 or the 26.1-5 channels. Haven't for about a week. I was glad to see KUSA keep Circle as a subchannel as well. My Amazon Recast listed MeTV as 4.2 in the channel guide for a brief moment last week but it must have just been a glitch because it was and is Start TV every time I've checked since. No idea where the Recast gets its programming guide from but it's not very reliable overall from my experience.

The flip to ATSC 3.0 has been a bit unstable from what I've seen - stations off, subchannel re-assignments. I'm sure some people were confused overall. My 2011 Samsung had trouble transcoding the RFs to virtual (got confused between RF 28 and virtual 28- took RF28 out of the channel lineup briefly.)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Newsy is on YouTube TV; I thought it was a cable channel.
Just how many of them have major cable channels like USA, subscription OTT providers like YouTube TV, SlingTV, Philo, FuboTV and Hulu Live also have the same main Newsy channel that other pay TV providers have. The free OTT providers like Xumo, Plex, Pluto, Roku Channel, Samsung TV+, Stirr and others just have their best of/headlines streaming channel "Top Stories by Newsy".

·
Registered
695 Posts
I scanned channels this morning and did not pick the KUSA channels or the channel 20 group. These were a couple of my strongest channel in the past. Rest of locals come in fine. Anything going on at Tegna with OTA this morning?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I scanned channels this morning and did not pick the KUSA channels or the channel 20 group. These were a couple of my strongest channel in the past. Rest of locals come in fine. Anything going on at Tegna with OTA this morning?
No issues with those channels here...sorry!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reading the last 2 pages I'm a bit confused.

Are there benefits to this ATSC 3.0 rollout for ATSC 1.0 tuners? It seems like some local channels are being broadcast from multiple towers now hopefully improving reception. Did the ATSC 3.0 rollout help in this regard?

·
Registered
204 Posts
For a vast amount of viewers, the ATSC 3.0 rollout on RF34, will have no affect on how they watch OTA in Denver. Mainly because there are few consumer available ATSC 3.0 tuners (built in or external available).

So, what happened, a couple weeks ago, is that KWGN gave up its frequency to be used for ATSC 3.0 broadcasting for it, KDVR, KUSA and KMGH, as simulcasts to their ATSC 1.0 signal. What happened was some sub channels from KWGN, moved to KMGH's signal. KMGH also adding its signal to KCDO and KSBS. KWGN's main channel moved to be with KDVR. Thus, KMGH, KWGN, KDVR, KUSA, KCDO and KSBS will continue broadcasting an ATSC 1.0 signal fro at least 5 years. By that time, it is expected that there will be consumer products to view an ATSC 3.0 signal. Also, other Denver channels may migrate to ATSC 3.0. Unlike the digital conversion, there is no requirement for broadcasters to move to the ATSC 3.0 format.

So, what does ATSC 3.0 give you?

1. The ability to transmit a 4k channel with Dolby AC-4 sound.
2. The ability to transmit multiple channels, similar to what you see today.
3. The ability to provide pay TV ability on subchannels, with integration with the Internet. The means a network could broadcast content on its main channel, and host pay per view events on a subchannel simultaneously, for example. It also would allow delivering cable or satellite like services over the air, of course with compression like it is done today over cable, live streaming service or satellite.
4. The ability to stream live data with the broadcast signal (think live sports stats).
5. The ability to lease channel space to wireless companies.

Your current antenna will work with ATSC 3.0.

Right now, as mentioned above, only HDHomerun offers a product which can pick up both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 signals. New TVs will have both an ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 tuner built in. Fro those who do not ant to spend money on a new TV, there will be consumer products available to plug in to the TV's HDMI port that will pick up ATSC 3.0 signals.

So, for the time being, if you see a channel go away, just rescan your TV. It will be a while for ATSC 3.0 to be the de facto standard. It could take up to five year or more.

Reading the last 2 pages I'm a bit confused.

Are there benefits to this ATSC 3.0 rollout for ATSC 1.0 tuners? It seems like some local channels are being broadcast from multiple towers now hopefully improving reception. Did the ATSC 3.0 rollout help in this regard?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Great synopsis! Just a couple of things that are maybe typos:

"1. The ability to transmit a 4k channel with Dolby AC-1 sound. "
This should be Dolby AC-4 audio. Giving the ability for HD audio and object based sound (Full quality Dolby TrueHD with ATMOS).
This is important because many (most) of the ATSC 3 stations are using AC-4 now. Which causes problems with some players as many (Plex, VLC, or anything using the FFMPEG codec pack) do not support it.
"Right now, as mentioned above, only Homerun offers a product which can pick up both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 signals."

This would be HDHomerun (Silicondust). Just in case anyone might be looking for one. It was discussed previously in this thread and there are links to the product and the forums for it above. Specifically it is their HDHomerun Quatro 4K networked tuner.

In any case, thanks for writing the summary.

As a direct answer to the OP, unless you are in a place where you had problems receiving some of the locals, and they have now moved to a different transmitter that gives you a more favorable signal, there will be no benefit. Actually there could be a reduction in picture quality due to a potential lower bit rate to accommodate more sub-channels per transmitter. There are only so many bits to go around.

9021 - 9040 of 9065 Posts