AVS Forum banner

9061 - 9080 of 9105 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone have access to the engineers at KWGN?

Sometime between 12/18 and 12/19 the AFD flags for 31.2 (Antenna TV) were changed to indicate the content is 16:9.

On many 16:9 devices, content flagged as 4:3 within a 16:9 container can be zoomed or stretched, but content flagged as 16:9 within a 16:9 container cannot be.

Since all of Antenna TV's content is 4:3, this is somewhat annoying, and results in 4:3 content forcibly being stretched to 16:9 on many devices.
I actually noticed this happen live at one point a while ago. Content was 4:3 and got stretched to 16:9. It fixed itself in the broadcast several minutes later but yeah looks like it's back to 16:9 permanently.

I wonder if they did it intentionally, a lot of people don't like black bars and would rather watch 4:3 content stretched...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd be curious to know what's on those channels, though I doubt it's anything terribly exciting in any event.

- Trip
Last time I had the Quatro 4K on the low VHF antenna, the HOPR channel was a repeating advertisement loop for the Hopper device. ONPPV had some movie clips. The STDIO channel had some concert videos. Back then between whatever they wer3e doing and the state of the Firmware for the HDHR unit, it was mostly unwatchable due to freezes and audio problems. They have made lots of progress with the tuner firmware in the last few months. Actually fixing all of the problem I was having tuning the V3 locals. Maybe I will move the tuner to the "good" antenna nad check again. Though you are correct, I doubt if anything there is going to be worth much attention. I am curious to see what they might be playing on the "AUD" channels.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If STDIO is a simulcast of Dish's Studio channel, it might be worthwhile for some people. It shows movies from MGM HD and concerts from AXS TV, along with The Opry in HD from Circle.

ONPPV is likely Dish's Pay-Per-View Guide channel.

HOPR is likely the Hopper promotional channel that Dish has on channel 103.

AUD might be some of the Dish Music audio channels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I wonder if they did it intentionally, a lot of people don't like black bars and would rather watch 4:3 content stretched...
The frustrating thing is that most TVs will allow viewers to stretch the content themselves if they prefer to watch it that way, so there is no reason to force everyone to watch it that way. Unfortunately, the reverse is not necessarily true. Once the content is stretched or cropped, there is no way to recover it on most TVs. Personally, I can't stand to watch content that is stretched or cropped, so it is getting more and more difficult to watch older content because more and more companies seem to have the attitude that they have to fill the screen no matter how bad it looks. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
The frustrating thing is that most TVs will allow viewers to stretch the content themselves if they prefer to watch it that way, so there is no reason to force everyone to watch it that way. Unfortunately, the reverse is not necessarily true. Once the content is stretched or cropped, there is no way to recover it on most TVs. Personally, I can't stand to watch content that is stretched or cropped, so it is getting more and more difficult to watch older content because more and more companies seem to have the attitude that they have to fill the screen no matter how bad it looks. :(
Yeah, for what it's worth my LG TVs w/ WebOS seem to let you pillarbox 16:9 content, but of course it would be a pain in the ass to constantly do this for one channel

·
Registered
8 Posts
That antenna's UHF only, you need something that's VHF capable to get the channels on RF 7 and RF 9.

Depending on how far away you are, you might be able to get them if you add the VHF kit to your antenna:
https://store.antennasdirect.com/VHF-Antenna-Kit.html
I wanted to let you know that I got that kit and installed today. I got all the channels back including Comet which was super important because that is what my wife watches all the time. I am really grateful you took the time to help me out! Thank you so much.:geek:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
KCNC is owned by CBS, and very few stations owned by the networks are currently participating in ATSC 3.0.

The big exception is Detroit where the CBS and Fox O&Os are participating as part of a demonstration with the automobile industry, and some other markets like Raleigh (ABC) and Seattle (Fox/MyNet).

·
Registered
25 Posts
KMGH/.Scripps has dropped, on Digital 59, Ion Plus, Qubo and Shop LC ,then add Laff, Bounce and Court TV.

Qubo, Ion Plus and Shop LC will terminate broadcasting on 28 February, Scripps/Katz are shutting them down, as part of acquiring Ion TV stations.

Also, on Digital 3, 3.4 and 3.5 are now showing Coming Soon with a Channel 7 Logo.

UPDATE: KCNC dropped FAVE on 4.4 (now showing test pattern), 3.4 now showing Infomercials, 3.5 Shows KMGH slate. 59.2, for now, is showing GRIT.

The best I can tell did did not touch anything on Digital 10.

I suspect, by Monday, KMGH's owners will have this shuffling done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any idea how long those affiliate agreements last with the Bounce and CourtTV subchannels (Univision and Nexstar)? I'm assuming they will be replaced on CW 2 and Univision 14 at some point with Scripps having the in market rights.

I am totally unable to get RF 14 (KZDN-LD) now and I haven't gotten it since probably December or so.

Anyone know if Scripps plans to increase the signal on the KPXC transmitter? It's hard to get down south. Used to be ok but ever since they made their transition it has been tough to get.

At one point I thought Telemundo 25 had an application in to move to Lookout Mountain. Has that effort been abandoned?

·
Registered
25 Posts
KZDN still has an active construction permit to redirect its signal more to the northwest. Only activity, for months, is an application to be reimbursed for signal displacement from the FCC. This has been going on for nearly a year.

One will suspect that the channels owned by Scripps/Katz will end up on Digital 3, 7, 10 and 59, as they now own all four channels. In addition to some low powered stations they also own.Scripps eliminating of an OTA equivalent of Cartoon Network (Qubo) though was not great move, as kids programming, OTA wise, was limited to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
KZDN still has an active construction permit to redirect its signal more to the northwest. Only activity, for months, is an application to be reimbursed for signal displacement from the FCC. This has been going on for nearly a year.

One will suspect that the channels owned by Scripps/Katz will end up on Digital 3, 7, 10 and 59, as they now own all four channels. In addition to some low powered stations they also own.Scripps eliminating of an OTA equivalent of Cartoon Network (Qubo) though was not great move, as kids programming, OTA wise, was limited to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was flipping through channels: on 4.4, my television indicated MeTV. The screen is the colored bars with a KCNC logo. I talked to a couple of people at channel 4, they had no info about MeTV coming to 4.4. It would be cool to have MeTV back OTA in Denver

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, while I'm not mourning the loss of Ion Plus or that glorified infomercial channel, I feel like the relative lack of kids' programming compared to other platforms is a major deal breaker for potential OTA viewers. With the loss of Qubo, the only real choice most markets have for OTA kids programming is PBS Kids, with TBN's smile reduced to an after-though, especially with TBN retreating from OTA since the spectrum auction. Compare that to even Pluto TV, which has dozens of subchannels of kids programming, including some Nickelodeon stuff thanks to corporate synergy (Pluto is owned by ViacomCBS).
I was flipping through channels: on 4.4, my television indicated MeTV. The screen is the colored bars with a KCNC logo. I talked to a couple of people at channel 4, they had no info about MeTV coming to 4.4. It would be cool to have MeTV back OTA in Denver
Pretty sure that's Fave TV, which CBS has been adding to its O&Os since late last year.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
No, the PSIP label on 4-4 does currently read "MeTV," per the Live Bandscan. I was wondering whether it was actually airing; sounds like the answer is "no" or, at least, "not right now."

- Trip

·
Registered
25 Posts
FAVE TV did not last long, MeTV is back on 4.4. Apparently, the owners of MeTV's attempt to use KREG (impossible to receive it in Denver) to serve Denver, via cable, failed miserably. A cushion to Scripps ravaging digital 3, 7, 10 and 59 (not counting the low power stations). Thanks to the FCC, one owner can own as many TV stations as they like.

KUSA is adding a reality channel, directed towards woman, called Twist. on 9.7.

And, yes the loss of an OTA kids oriented channel for those who do not have cable or streaming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one and it does get KBRO on the one antenna that I have that is cut for low VHF.
How is ATSC 3.0 on Lo-VHF? Is interference as disruptive as with 1.0?

Reactions: N5XZS

·
Registered
5 Posts
FAVE TV did not last long, MeTV is back on 4.4. Apparently, the owners of MeTV's attempt to use KREG (impossible to receive it in Denver) to serve Denver, via cable, failed miserably. A cushion to Scripps ravaging digital 3, 7, 10 and 59 (not counting the low power stations). Thanks to the FCC, one owner can own as many TV stations as they like.

KUSA is adding a reality channel, directed towards woman, called Twist. on 9.7.

And, yes the loss of an OTA kids oriented channel for those who do not have cable or streaming.
That is a significant loss. MeTV has 3 hours of classic kids programming on Saturday morning:
Popeye and Pals (Paramount), Tom and Jerry (MGM), Bugs Bunny (Warner Bros). Incredible stuff, if you don’t mind violence.

9061 - 9080 of 9105 Posts