AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Meet Up on the 24th.

If you sent me your information as asked I have PM'd you the information.

If you did not get a PM I did not get you name, address and phone number please send over ASAP.

Don

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
RS2000 + Paladin DCR

Man, I really wish I could be there at your GTG, but it's a bit far from NC!

If those who will be there can, I would be most appreciative if you could check out the image quality when actual 16:9 content (not test patterns) is viewed with the DCR in place, under the following circumstances:

1. Anamorphic B Mode: there is a 6% horizontal squeeze of the image.
  2. Anamorphic C Mode: there is a crop of the original image, losing 10% on the top, and 10% on the bottom. This fills the screen, and maintains the proper aspect ratio, but at the cost of that 10% top and bottom of actual image content.
  3. Anamorphic 'Off' Mode: the image will fill the screen vertically and horizontally, with the image stretched in the horizontal direction, by about 25%.

I will be very interested in hearing how everybody perceives which image is the least objectionable, most acceptable, how obvious the distortion is, etc. This would be in comparison to a regular 16:9 TV screen, for example, or the content without the DCR lens in place, which would show this content with the proper, undistorted aspect ratio.

And if there is time and opportunity, and if you have the set-up for it, the other scenario that is important is with 3d movies with the 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (e.g. Gravity, Despicable Me 3, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, The Great and Powerful Oz), where Anamorphic C produces black bars on all 4 sides:

The only workable choice here with the DCR in place is:

Anamorphic A: narrow black side bars, with 6% horizontal squeeze (the same amount as there is for 16:9 content with Anamorphic B).

I'm wondering if this would be less noticeable since the image is almost full screen width to begin with.

Anyway, if you can check out some or all of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

And since these situations represent the 'weak-link' in keeping the DCR Lens in place with any of the new JVC Projectors, I would think they would be of great interest to any others who are considering getting one.

Thanks, and have fun!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sunday is the day....see everyone around 1:00. Will be good to meet everyone. Beer and Wine is chilling....

·
Registered
996 Posts
Man, I really wish I could be there at your GTG, but it's a bit far from NC!

If those who will be there can, I would be most appreciative if you could check out the image quality when actual 16:9 content (not test patterns) is viewed with the DCR in place, under the following circumstances:

1. Anamorphic B Mode: there is a 6% horizontal squeeze of the image.
  2. Anamorphic C Mode: there is a crop of the original image, losing 10% on the top, and 10% on the bottom. This fills the screen, and maintains the proper aspect ratio, but at the cost of that 10% top and bottom of actual image content.
  3. Anamorphic 'Off' Mode: the image will fill the screen vertically and horizontally, with the image stretched in the horizontal direction, by about 25%.

I will be very interested in hearing how everybody perceives which image is the least objectionable, most acceptable, how obvious the distortion is, etc. This would be in comparison to a regular 16:9 TV screen, for example, or the content without the DCR lens in place, which would show this content with the proper, undistorted aspect ratio.

And if there is time and opportunity, and if you have the set-up for it, the other scenario that is important is with 3d movies with the 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (e.g. Gravity, Despicable Me 3, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, The Great and Powerful Oz), where Anamorphic C produces black bars on all 4 sides:

The only workable choice here with the DCR in place is:

Anamorphic A: narrow black side bars, with 6% horizontal squeeze (the same amount as there is for 16:9 content with Anamorphic B).

I'm wondering if this would be less noticeable since the image is almost full screen width to begin with.

Anyway, if you can check out some or all of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

And since these situations represent the 'weak-link' in keeping the DCR Lens in place with any of the new JVC Projectors, I would think they would be of great interest to any others who are considering getting one.

Thanks, and have fun!
I have it on my list so will let you know. I have done some testing with this already. To be honest I like the 16:9 without the lens best but still playing with it.

Reactions: DLCPhoto

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife has a planned event that will tie me up until at least 1:30. I am very interested in your findings. I have one if the new JVC PJs and I’m interested in your thoughts w the DCR.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Great seeing everyone today. hopefully we can keep up our little get together s!

It was interesting. Clear that the black levels are not as good as the 540 etc however the DCR lens is amazing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great seeing everyone today. hopefully we can keep up our little get together s!

It was interesting. Clear that the black levels are not as good as the 540 etc however the DCR lens is amazing.
Thanks again Don for opening up your home, theater, food and drinks for us. It was great to meet everyone and see the RS2000 with the lens in action. I learned a lot and look forward to adding the JVC and lens to my theater.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks again Don for opening up your home, theater, food and drinks for us. It was great to meet everyone and see the RS2000 with the lens in action. I learned a lot and look forward to adding the JVC and lens to my theater.

Agree, great time meeting everyone and thanks to Don for welcoming everyone to his home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting thoughts and reports on what you all experienced during this testing and evaluation session.

I'm interested in general remarks about the overall impact of the DCR lens on the already good output from the RS2000, as well as any comments on the specific questions I had in my post above.

Basically, the good, the bad, the ugly! :p

Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting thoughts and reports on what you all experienced during this testing and evaluation session.

I'm interested in general remarks about the overall impact of the DCR lens on the already good output from the RS2000, as well as any comments on the specific questions I had in my post above.

Basically, the good, the bad, the ugly! :p

Thanks!

Don
I think we all agreed that the DCR lens made things brighter and more detailed.It is one of those things where once you see it you don't want to go back.

16:9 with the lens is a little annoying. Anamorphic B is the only one I use and consider passable. You can tell they are a little elongated. But, if you are watching a lot of 16:9 you can take that lens off really easy. I will keep it on because I do not watch a ton and it is just a little noticeable.

Reactions: DLCPhoto

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think we all agreed that the DCR lens made things brighter and more detailed.It is one of those things where once you see it you don't want to go back.

16:9 with the lens is a little annoying. Anamorphic B is the only one I use and consider passable. You can tell they are a little elongated. But, if you are watching a lot of 16:9 you can take that lens off really easy. I will keep it on because I do not watch a ton and it is just a little noticeable.
Or you can pick up an HTPC capable of running madVR, and it will do the scaling in a way that will eliminate the 6% distortion. I'm diving into it now, trying to figure it out while I await my RS2000 :)

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts
sub'd for more of the reviews, but having an older lens already I will know exactly what the results should spell out... I'll keep using my lowly uh280 with the rs2000 when it arrives until I recoup some $$ and then MAYBE Think about the DCR...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Or you can pick up an HTPC capable of running madVR, and it will do the scaling in a way that will eliminate the 6% distortion. I'm diving into it now, trying to figure it out while I await my RS2000 :)
I'm a a little crazy :D so I am actually thinking of doing the MadVR stuff.....just for fun to see. BUT with the hint Madish (think that is wrong) posted I think I need to find a video card that has HDMI in also because sounds like they are working on a Lumagen type setup which would be cool and I would totally go for that if it was cheaper.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm a a little crazy :D so I am actually thinking of doing the MadVR stuff.....just for fun to see. BUT with the hint Madish (think that is wrong) posted I think I need to find a video card that has HDMI in also because sounds like they are working on a Lumagen type setup which would be cool and I would totally go for that if it was cheaper.
I would hold off on buying anything for another 2-3 weeks or so. I think madshi will have more details---my guess is that it is going to be an all-in-one box that would eliminate your need to get an HTPC at all

·
Registered
JVC RS4910 PJ, Pioneer SC-1523K AVR,AT Falcon Screen,3 x1099's,4 x Volt 10's,iNuke+ 2xDA RS Subs
593 Posts
Can'y believe I missed the GTG !!!!
Been is busy the last month traveling for work I haven't checked the forum :frown:
I imagine you all had a great time and hopefully I can get on the next one and come down from Fort Collins. I am going to host real soon, some time later this month so will ping out a date soon. I could really do with some help on calibration as I have never done it properly!

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts
Can'y believe I missed the GTG !!!!
Been is busy the last month traveling for work I haven't checked the forum :frown:
I imagine you all had a great time and hopefully I can get on the next one and come down from Fort Collins. I am going to host real soon, some time later this month so will ping out a date soon. I could really do with some help on calibration as I have never done it properly!
Seems like everyone else missed the g2g too due to lack of commentary afterwards. Anyone else care to drop some details of your experience?!?! Jeez this is AV SCIENCE, not AV get together and don't tell anyone what we thought!!!! :Insert smiley faces so people know I am joking around...:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought it was a nice reality check meeting everyone. It's easy to get caught up in some of the threads here and think that everyone is pixel peeping and readjusting speakers to the point where I start to think, oh I should scrutinize my setup more and see how I stack up. In real life a lot of us just want to turn things on and enjoy a movie. That said, I'd like to try my hand at doing my own calibration. Don and I were kicking around the idea of us all chipping in to get training from someone who knows the craft and be locally self sufficient, and help each other out.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I thought it was a nice reality check meeting everyone. It's easy to get caught up in some of the threads here and think that everyone is pixel peeping and readjusting speakers to the point where I start to think, oh I should scrutinize my setup more and see how I stack up. In real life a lot of us just want to turn things on and enjoy a movie. That said, I'd like to try my hand at doing my own calibration. Don and I were kicking around the idea of us all chipping in to get training from someone who knows the craft and be locally self sufficient, and help each other out.
Kris Deering is heading our way soon. I wonder if he would be willing to walk us through a calibration?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm in Denver, and if there is enough interest, I can give one or more informal seminars on the subject of audio optimization. Note that I avoid the word "calibration" because I don't believe one can practically achieve the kind of consistency that is possible with video calibration. Nevertheless, sound quality can be improved on most systems with the right knowledge and tools.

Realize that I can't really walk through a calibration process because each system has different equipment with different capabilities. What I can do is cover the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, listener perception, and optimization goals. This content would probably take me 1-1.5 hours to cover, even at a very high level. I can also go over performing measurements and analyzing them using the powerful Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. I can probably cover the bare basics of REW in 30-60 minutes but more advanced subjects like room acoustics study and PEQ optimization deserve more time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in Denver, and if there is enough interest, I can give one or more informal seminars on the subject of audio optimization. Note that I avoid the word "calibration" because I don't believe one can practically achieve the kind of consistency that is possible with video calibration. Nevertheless, sound quality can be improved on most systems with the right knowledge and tools.

Realize that I can't really walk through a calibration process because each system has different equipment with different capabilities. What I can do is cover the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, listener perception, and optimization goals. This content would probably take me 1-1.5 hours to cover, even at a very high level. I can also go over performing measurements and analyzing them using the powerful Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. I can probably cover the bare basics of REW in 30-60 minutes but more advanced subjects like room acoustics study and PEQ optimization deserve more time.

Thoughts?

I for one would be very interested !!!

121 - 140 of 216 Posts