AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geof, the moderator on Denver HDTV Tower topic, said this post is off topic there so I should start a new one.

This is very confusing and is giving me a headache. I read the article twice now and i will read it again but bear with me. (Article http://www.digitaltelevision.com/future11.shtml)

The article says that translators (some kind of station that rebroadcast NTSC TV stations) were taken away from NTSC stations to be used as DTV stations. The article says that instead of using one big stick antenna in a place like Denver you could use a ring of smaller antennas at much lower power (I Like that) and you are saying with this 8-VSB we could use translator stations. How many of these translator stations are there and would you have to take a lot of them away from what they are being used for now? I assume being used by other NTSC stations. (regular TV)

The article was saying you could use the same channel somehow as "on-Channel" repeating. Let me copy part, "It may also help the FCC deal with the problems of replicating service for the thousands of NTSC translators and LPTV stations that are being disenfranchised by the allocation of two channels to high power broadcasters during the simulcast period."

It sounds like the other way you could do this all with only one channel and would't have to use these translators.

Either way if you can get rid of the big broadcast antennas and all that microwaves that are burning people that would be good.

This paragraph caught my eye. Can translators do this. You say they were tested sucessfully in Utah. "Let's assume that we place five 300-foot towers around our stadium. It is highly likely that those inside the stadium will see more than one signal. If these signals are properly synchronized they add together to increase the signal level at any given reception site. Outside the stadium viewers at the fringes are likely to see a strong signal from the closest tower. If they are occluded from the cells around the stadium by geographic features (e.g. mountains and valleys), it is possible to add low power on-frequency repeaters to serve the population pockets around a market. Here, syncronization is less of a concern. It may be possible

to simply receive the signal from the large cell transmitters and re-broadcast it out of sync with the main cells; in this case the power level from the local transmitter will be significantly higher than the distant signal, allowing a receiver to easily differentiate the local signal."

Is there anything else I should read on translators?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Actually it was me that asked you to start a different topic. I cannot answer your questions because I don't know the answers.

I suggest you delete this topic and start a new one with a more appropriate subject (it doesn't need "Denver" in the subject - it should say something like "ATSC and Translators" or some such). That's only my suggestion...if somebody happens across this thread that knows your answer then that's great too....

------------------

Geof

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.