AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things had been going quite well with my 2 month old Philips 9751 and I've been generally quite pleased with just about every aspect of this set. Yesterday afternoon I stopped home for lunch, made myself a sandwich and decided to eat in front of the TV.

10 minutes into my viewing the set made a funny squealing noise and the picture lost sync. I hopped off the couch to power the set down from the front panel switch. After sitting there for a couple of minutes trying to decide whether or not to power back on I hit the power switch and NOTHING.

I've got a service guy coming on Monday--I just hope he doesn't need to order parts or who knows how long I'll be without HT http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

And of course it had to happen on the same day as the CSI season finale. Watching CSI on my 11 year old 35" mits just wasn't the same.

Wish me luck -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Something similar happened with my 64PH9905 last summer. Unplugging it for a ~20 seconds cured the problem and it hasn't occurred since. (Lots of voltages still present with set switched off.) -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LB,

Thanks for the info--I've sent you a PM.

Steve

------------------

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the service guy came on Monday and after 30 minutes declared that he thought the Deflector Board was gone and he'd need to order one. Just to be safe he's ordering a power supply as well. He's tentatively scheduled to come back to install the parts on Wednesday 5/30. At this point, my concern is that if it isn't the Deflector Bd or Power Supply we get to do this all over again. And with a week and a half between parts shipments and return visits it could be a very long time before the damn thing gets fixed.

-- Steve

------------------

·
Registered
235 Posts
I take it that you already had the HDTV plugged into a surge protector instead of directly into the wall socket.

If not make sure you purchase one between now and the next time the sevice tech. is due back out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wanthdtv,

The set was plugged into a surge suppressor albeit not a great one. I have all of my HT equipment including my HTPC uses the same type of surge suppressor and nothing had a problem except the TV.

Ray H,

Thanks for the offer but you're a week too late http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif --I already missed the season finale.

As a side note, the service company contacted me this morning to tell me they are having a VERY difficult time ordering parts because Philips has yet to publish as service manual for this model--a fact confirmed by Philips technical publications. Pretty sad considering my set has a manufacture date of November 2000. Six months later, still no manual http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

Regards -- Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Steve:

Have you talked to your dealer? If it's a chain store such as Sears or CC, you might be out of luck. On the other hand, lots of high-end dealers will sometimes exchange the set or give you a loaner (rarer). Considering the unpleasant stories I've read on this forum about dealing with Philip's service, this might be your best bet.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well, Steve, if you don't mind flying out here, you can watch CSI tonight on my 36" set...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dkeller_NC,

I originally bought this set's predecessor (9905) through the Philips Employee Store before Philips changed its policy regarding selling to consumers via the PES. After a variety of issues with the 9905, Philips agreed to take it back and sold me the 9751 in its place.

I've been very happy with the 9751 and unless my current problem takes a significant turn for the worse I can live with this (hopefully) isolated failure. What frustrates me is the level of involvement required on my part; The parts were finally placed on order yesterday after numerous calls to the service company and calls and email messages to Philips service to make sure both parties were talking to each other. According to the service company, the parts *should* arrive on Tuesday, in time for Wednesday's service visit. Without my nagging follow-up, I think it's safe to say that my service date would have come and gone long before the part numbers were identified and parts placed on order.

The other annoyance is the lack of a service manual. My feeling is that Philips CAN'T be serious about product and customer service if it allows its products to market without the appropriate documentation in place. Hell, my set shipped with a *photocopied* owners manual and "Quick Setup Sheet". Pretty lame for a piece of consumer electronics with an MSRP of nearly $7500. But what the hell do I know--I'm just the customer...

Regards -- Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'll admit that I don't understand why Philips has been so lame on service/support for their RPTVs. I own a Tivo unit and a Pronto, both of which were extremely well thought out and designed products. I've had the occasion to deal with Philips hardware support for the Tivo in the past, and it was excellent. And while improvements could certainly be contemplated for the ProntoEdit software, Philips has been pretty good with firmware and software updates.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't own a Tivo but have had a Pronto for 18 months and love the thing. Then again, it works reliably and I have never had the need to contact service.

I think part of the service issue has to do with on site service versus service depot. If your Tivo or Pronto fails while under warranty Philips is unlikely to send a 3rd party repair company to repair the unit. My guess it that they'll most likely give you an RMA #, ship you a replacement and have you send your defective unit back--pretty tough to do with something the size of an RPTV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Once they have your defective exchange it probably goes to a repair depot where the techs working on the product are highly knowledgeable, if for no other reason than the fact that they work on the same products all the time. In the case of RPTV's, I don't think Philips sells a ton of these--certainly no where near the volume as the Tivo or Pronto.

The service guy that came out last week is the same one that serviced my 9905 beginning in November of last year. To date, he's seen and worked on 2 Philips HTDV's--both were mine. The fact that this guy does 2-3 service calls 5-6 days a week and has only 2 Philips HDTV's under his belt isn't exactly awe inspiring. Unfortunately, the other authorized service center within driving distance to my home was no different.

But given the horror stories I've read about other manufacturers sets and service issues I've got to think that this problem is industry wide, not just Philips specific.

Regards -- Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Steve,

I remember quite well the thread you had going a few months back about the woes inflicted on you by your 9905. Please keep us informed as this situation unfolds. Your fellow forum members care! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Kent

------------------

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it just keeps getting better...

The service company called to let me know they haven't received the parts from Philips yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif and as such need to reschedule tomorrow's appointment. The next available: Monday, June 4th. IF the parts the service guy brings actually fixes the problem, I'll have been down 18 days. And if they don't: anybody's guess as to when I'll be able to turn it on again is as good as mine.

For the record:

Date Delivered: March 21, 2001

Failure Date: May 17, 2001

Total Days in Operation:57

Estimated Repair Date: Jun 4, 2001

Total Days to Repair: 18 (estimated best case)

Pretty impressive

Regards -- Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

The service guy came yesterday with parts in hand, installed the high voltage scan board and the good news is that it fixed the problem. Of course with all good news there must be some bad; In the process trying to "fix" some geometry errors after the installation of the board he reset all parameters to factory defaults--ARRRRRRGH. Gray scale is now completely trashed--I now have grays with a green cast and whites with a blue cast.

He plans on coming back with an o'scope to do the Philips gray scale adjustment which involves setting crt bias voltages and pretty much setting cuts and drives for "correct white balance" by eye. Doesn't Philips "make" color analysers?

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Sorry to read about the default reset. Yes, Philips has a color analyzer, and I sure wouldn't permit an eyes-only gray scale setup. But I set up gray scale on three direct-view Heathkit color TVs I assembled and a 7-ft. Advent projection TV using the built-in gray-scale-adjustment features, and always got a good image. Here's a procedure at the Keohi site for setting Philips drive and gray scale with only a oscilloscope, so perhaps that's what they're planning. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John,

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if this is the procedure he had in mind although I'd guess it probably is. Other than the initial CRT bias voltage adjustments the rest of the procedure is done by eye. Given the subjective nature of "correct white balance" I'd guess this procedure would likely yield highly variable and inaccurate results depending on the "eye accuracy" of the person during the work.

They can't possibly set them up at the factory this way can they?

------------------

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I'd be surprised if they didn't use some type of light meter at the factory. With the kits and Advent I adjusted, there's a service switch that collapses the raster into a horizontal line or band, then you adjust CRT controls for a barely visible line. With the Keohi-site technique they use both a scope and call for screen observations, too, as you note. I'd suggest having a b&w-movie DVD handy and make sure dim and bright areas have no color tint after the adjustment; ditto in other modes with the color turned down. Not having done an instrument gray-scale adjustment as many others have here (especially in the CRT forum), I won't venture too far in making technical suggestions. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.