AVS Forum banner

4421 - 4440 of 4456 Posts

·
Registered
6,199 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Another new channel. 17.4 is TBD, some quirky thing for millennials (according to Wikipedia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBD_(TV_network)

They'll be airing Back in Time, a 2015 documentary about the Back to the Future movies.

Thurs, Feb 16, 7-9pm and
Sat, Feb 18, 5-7pm.

And it looks like Fox 17 might be dropping Grit in favor of Charge!, a similarly-themed channel of action movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge!_(TV_network)

And in case some fans haven't noticed, MeTV has replaced the weekday hour-long episodes of Gunsmoke, with the early half-hour episodes, with Dennis Weaver as Chester. The prints look better than the ones they used a few years back when they aired under the title Marshall Dillon.
correct on both diginets. Both are owned by Sinclair, who also owns Fox 17

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
Thread merged with Des Moines local thread. Redirect left. Best of both worlds, that way.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Iowa Public TV creates new station, splits up Create and Kids
http://www.iptv.org/about/iptv-news/new-channel-lineup-faqs

from Northpine.com
Iowa Public Television has launched a fourth broadcast channel, essentially splitting up a hybrid channel that had carried children's programming during the evening and the Create network during other hours. On Dec. 1, the former "IPTV Learns" on DT2 became PBS Kids, with Create moving to a new DT4 channel fulltime. World Channel remains on DT3. The network reaches the entire state with nine full-power transmitters and a handful of translators. IPTV said Mediacom customers should be able to find the new PBS Kids on channel 794 by Dec. 6.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
WOI asks the FCC to let them move to RF34 (per northpine.com)

Nexstar Broadcasting's WOI-DT/5 (Ames-Des Moines) has asked the FCC for permission to replace its VHF Low transmitter with a UHF transmitter. The ABC affiliate, which currently transmits on RF channel 5, would move to RF channel 34 with 835kW/566m from the TV tower farm north of Des Moines. It could continue to remap to virtual channel 5. The move is possible because Family Educational Broadcasting returned the license of KEFB/34 (Ames) last year and the channel was not reassigned to anyone else in the spectrum auction repack. As part of its application, WOI-DT submitted documentation of 66 complaints of reception problems. Digital TV stations transmitting on VHF Low (channels 2-6) are often difficult to receive with indoor antennas and are also susceptible to interference from electronic devices and power tools, as well as e-skip interference in more remote parts of the viewing area. Most former analog VHF Low stations chose to relocate to UHF in the digital transition, and WOI-DT is the only Iowa-licensed TV station still broadcasting on VHF Low (it was under different ownership at the time of the transition). Nexstar also owns CW affiliate KCWI/23.1 (Ames-Des Moines), which already transmits on UHF.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It appears the channel 34 full-power application has been dismissed. It also appears the channel 50 translator is off the air (at least I can't get it from an antenna 10 blocks west of the TX site), but there is no silent STA visible in the FCC TV Query. An application was tendered in June for a new translator on channel 33, with the Financial Center as the proposed site.

Meanwhile, channel 5 has been intermittently off the air lately as problems with the antenna and transmission line are being worked on.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Can anyone confirm that KFPX has transitioned to its new channel?

- Trip

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can anyone confirm that KFPX has transitioned to its new channel?

- Trip

Yes...they have moved.

I even visited last week and admired their shiny new liquid-cooled solid-state transmitter. Quite a contrast to the old Larcan transmitter of KCCI on the other side of the room.

Next question is where does that leave the low-power 36?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Yes...they have moved.

I even visited last week and admired their shiny new liquid-cooled solid-state transmitter. Quite a contrast to the old Larcan transmitter of KCCI on the other side of the room.

Next question is where does that leave the low-power 36?
Thanks.

It leaves them off the air until they build their displacement permit for channel 21.

- Trip

·
Registered
69 Posts
With the move to 36, KFPX is now operating from KCCI's tower, so all full-power Des Moines TV stations are operating from the Alleman antenna farm.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Anyone else not able to pull in Fox KDSM (17) this weekend via ota? I noticed it yesterday when it stated the channel wasn’t available. I rescanned channels and 17 doesn’t show up on the list at all anymore. My signals are nice and strong for abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, and 23. Fox is available through our ps Vue subscription so I know they are broadcasting.

I went to their site and there’s no word of this.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Anyone else not able to pull in Fox KDSM (17) this weekend via ota? I noticed it yesterday when it stated the channel wasn’t available. I rescanned channels and 17 doesn’t show up on the list at all anymore. My signals are nice and strong for abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, and 23. Fox is available through our ps Vue subscription so I know they are broadcasting.

I went to their site and there’s no word of this.
I had that problem this morning with Channel 5, wasn't showing up in the guide. Now that's back and 17, while showing up, isn't getting a signal. Probably having a transmitter issue and Sinclair is too cheap to pay $5 for a new part.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had that problem this morning with Channel 5, wasn't showing up in the guide. Now that's back and 17, while showing up, isn't getting a signal. Probably having a transmitter issue and Sinclair is too cheap to pay $5 for a new part.
That makes me feel better that it’s not just me.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
That makes me feel better that it’s not just me.
From Channel 17's Facebook page:

"Our attempt today to get our tower fixed was unsuccessful as the internal damage was greater than expected. When we tried to get it turned back on before the Cubs game, it was unsuccessful. We are rushing to get a crew to fix this ASAP, but it likely will be several days. We sincerely apologize for this disruption. Providing programming to viewers every day is our #1 priority. Please know that we are doing everything possible to get this resolved as soon as possible. We will post updates as we get more information. Mediacom viewers only will continue to receive our programming."

Sounds like lightning got them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From Channel 17's Facebook page:

"Our attempt today to get our tower fixed was unsuccessful as the internal damage was greater than expected. When we tried to get it turned back on before the Cubs game, it was unsuccessful. We are rushing to get a crew to fix this ASAP, but it likely will be several days. We sincerely apologize for this disruption. Providing programming to viewers every day is our #1 priority. Please know that we are doing everything possible to get this resolved as soon as possible. We will post updates as we get more information. Mediacom viewers only will continue to receive our programming."

Sounds like lightning got them.
My sources tell me KDSM had a transmission line burnout at the 1400-foot level on the tower. I was told the initial plan is to hang a temporary antenna Tuesday at the 1000-foot level so they can get back on the air at low power, then fix the burnout over the next several days. That typically involves replacing the damaged line sections, and cleaning out soot and debris from the line sections below the burnout.

The weather is not looking good for tower work, so be patient. Bad luck for them to be off the air in the middle of the May ratings period.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks.

It leaves them off the air until they build their displacement permit for channel 21.

- Trip

Virtual 36 is back on the air on physical channel 21. I guess I don't understand how a station licensed to Fort Dodge could be legal from a tower in Baxter. Those towns aren't even close...the 51 dBu contour barely reaches Ames.

4421 - 4440 of 4456 Posts