AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Descaler up. Have 850mhzP3, Geforce2 and Hauppauge PVR as an input card.

I did some extensive evaluations with Laser Disk as a source. My Sony LD palyer has internal TBC with 3line comb filter and Svideo out. The Poineer 710 or any of the x10 series has gotten rave reviews from both here and in magazines.

But Desacler tops it. I would not say it blows it away. The difference is very subtle. It's enough however to make me now use Desacler and keep the RPTV strictly on HDTV input. To make this work you must put the Geforce in 640x480 which equates to 480P. I wish the Pioneer was more forgiving, but this is the only rate it will accept. It would probably accept 960i and we know it can handle 1080i and 540p.

Anybody have more options on video cards that will output 540p, please let us know.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Glimmie -

Congrats on your even 1000'th post here!

- Tom

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by X
My Pioneer 510HD accepts all sorts of strange resolutions from my Elsa Geforce2. I use 540p, 520p, 510p, 960p, etc.

Are you using PowerStrip3?
No, I just using the drivers that came with the card. Please tell me more about power strip. I have a lot of traditional video experinece but am new to all this HTPC stuff.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My explanation couldn't begin to do justice to PowerStrip. Let me just say it allows you to set virtually any custom resolution your card is capable of. And the Pioneer will accept many of them.

For the best information on it you should do a search in this forum. It's a highly recommended piece of software.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Glimmie -

You might want to check out the HTPC FAQ, see my sig below. Especially look there for 'custom resolutions' which should talk about PowerStrip.

- Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
... To make this work you must put the Geforce in 640x480 which equates to 480P...
Just a nit: That equates to 480P with square pixels. However, full resolution is 720x480 by most modern digital samplers.

So, if you only output 640 samples per scanline, you're missing out. :)

-Billy

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Glimmie,

Congrats on you new status as an AVS Special! :cool:

What is specifically better than your Pro-710's internal scaler? The image quality per se, ie transparency, color subtlety or saturation, depth of field, noise level, etc. or is it the deinterlacing which gives better results?

I'm asking because the Elite series of RPTVs are justifiably reputed as having just about the best integrated deinterlacer and on-board scaler in the market (aside from a little ringing). This is therefore quite a strong achievement in output quality for DScaler. Which LD outputs are you using in each case (direct link vs. HTPC) and what acquisition and graphics cards are in your HTPC?

Thanks for letting us in on your secret! ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brett,

I played with quite a few disks but here are two examples that stood out.

"Jurrasic Park":

In the first part when the are flying to Jurassic park in the helicopter look at the blades when it's shot over the ocean. With the Pioneer upconversion the spinning blades are made up of a line of pixels. Desaler shows blurred line, looks much more like real spinning blades.

"Indecent Proposal"

In the last scene Demi Moore is walking through the fog. The Pioneer pixilizes the fog. Descaler looks like fog. Note ther is noise present as this is laser disk. I seems Descaler handles noise much better. I little further down Demi Moore is sitting in a shadow. The Poineer puts a hard line between her hair and face. Descaler has a more natural graduated transition.

This could be argued as simply poor bandwidth of Descaler and like you said the Pioneer is over enhanced and does ring. But peronally I like the Descaler look on LD sources.

Now where it falls apart is Svideo fed DBS. I think it looks much worse. The de-interlacing algorithms seem to get confused due to the extensive compression. I get a lot of juddering. With the severely limited bandwidth of today's DBS and the extreme MPEG compression, I'll be willing to bet many fields are identical right down to every last pixel. No de-interelacer can be expected to improve that. An SDI link won't help either. The benefit of SDI is eleminating the last NTSC processing in the chain and also eleminated any local analog noise. But these signals are so bandwidth restricted the NSTC encode and decode at this point is transparent. Plus the signal is so cored that any noise actually helps as it gives some detail to the image.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.