AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I went online and found a perfect-condition used set of Optimus LX-5II's for my setup which is a direct-fire mid/dipole tweeter hybrid speaker. I'm using it at close range firing directly from the sides of my couch. The quality is excellent. However, they might not match up well with the Revel speakers without painstaking manual EQ and even then, I doubt you will get a satisfactory timbre match due to the very different driver matierals.

The best thing you can do is see if you can find a ceramic/aluminum driver based bipole/dipole speaker.

I'm still searching but having a very hard time finding an aluminum/ceramic equivalent that will give you a decent shot at matching the timbre.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmm, here is a set of used classic Ohm Walsh 2x0 speakers you could buy on ebay, pedestal mount them up a bit and they would probably make some awesome surrounds speakers. (omni-directional).

only 10 minutes left on the auction though.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
A bit over your stated budget but these are excellent surround speakers. I owned a pair for over a year - kinda sorry I sold them. And they will timbre match your Revels since they have the same tweeter as my Infinity Interludes. Yes - the Emotiva tweeters timbre match very closely to the Infinity tweeter - the same as what is in your Revel speakers.

·
Registered
700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20855816

A bit over your stated budget but these are excellent surround speakers. I owned a pair for over a year - kinda sorry I sold them. And they will timbre match your Revels since they have the same tweeter as my Infinity Interludes. Yes - the Emotiva tweeters timbre match very closely to the Infinity tweeter - the same as what is in your Revel speakers.

Aren't those 4 ohms though?

I was thinking of picking up a pair of bipoles, but want to somewhat match them to the polk monitor 70/CSi5 center if i could....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan

I was thinking of picking up a pair of bipoles, but want to somewhat match them to the polk monitor 70/CSi5 center if i could....

Any suggestions?
There are plenty of speakers which should be EQ'able to come very close to the character of your Polk speakers. Poly mid / Silk dome tweet on your Polks is pretty common driver material.

Here would be a good candidate to use as your surrounds:

$175
http://www.streemspeakers.com/rw-440.asp

While buying speakers from another brand, there is never any guarantee they will either sonically match or sound good together, but choose speakers with the same driver cone material greatly increases the odds when put together with a sound-processor with auto-calibration capability. I have experience in this very area and myself own a surround speaker that is made by a different brand and managed to get them to match up very well.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan

Any suggestions?
They are an easy 4 ohm load. When I had an Onkyo PR-885 die on me I had to send it in for repairs. Since an amp is no good without the processor I was forced to move the lowly Onkyo 506 AVR out of the bedroom to serve up my dose of music and movies for a few weeks. It drove a pair of Emotiva 8.3s (4ohm towers) - AV123 Bigfoot center (8ohms) and the ERD surrounds - also 4ohms - it did just fine although I never pushed it too hard. I've also driven them with a Harman Kardon 254 and a 247 - neither overheated. The ERDs are a great sounding surround sound speaker and at the current price is a no-brainer. They are a bi-pole/di-pole design. They do both. In phase and out of phase.

My point is not all 4ohm speakers are created equal. Electrostatic speakers are rated 4ohms too - I'd never think of driving them with anything other than a big amp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.