AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck with being happy in a narrow theater such as this? I know it could be worse, I am just trying to figure out a layout.. any pictures would be great for me to see?

In talks with contractor to build a home theater (dedicated) in my new home basement. Some items are in basement that I wish were not such as Lally Columns and 8' ceilings (rather than 9-10 if i had my way).

Anyways, My space would be 28' Long and the first 12' would be 13' W due to an "indent" in the foundation that runs along the front. And the remaining 12' or so would be 2' narrower at 11' .. all these measurements are before anything is built of course so I will lose even more inches etc..

Anyone have any luck with being happy in a narrow theater such as this? I know it could be worse, I am just trying to figure out a layout.. any pictures would be great for me to see?

My hope is that I can place a smaller "family style" couch in front row for lounging with family, perhaps with dual chaise lounges , and then do two rows of 2 or 3 across theater recliners and finally a bartop in the back to watch movies while eating

If I place 3 across I am only going to have 1' on each side of the seating, and if I do 2 across I would have 2' on each side.. not sure if 1' would be sufficient for safe movement while potentially carrying food etc..

Also, anyone have these types of Length and ceiling heights? If so what is your Screen Size? I am hoping I can get a 150 but we shall see. I have an Epson 5040UB which I think has to be mounted 14'7" away
anyways thanks for any input..

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Hello!

OK...your biggest issue is your trying to make what amounts to being a smaller Airplane Cabin-like width Theater have two many seats...too many Rows with no headroom to allow for Risers for the 2nd & 3rd Row,

The only real solution is to first ditch the Front Row Couch idea.....and then to consider what is called Multi-level Theater seats. The Front row seats are very low, the Center Row seats are of a more normal height, and the Rear Row seats are built on elevated bases.

Now you can also build that Bar behind the Rear Row, although it will have to be higher than normal...or built up on a low step-up Platform (6")

OK...here is one set of choices:

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-theater-seating/seatcraft-grenada-front-row-seating.html
1st Row of 3 is 96" wide....height is 35"

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-theater-seating/seatcraft-grenada-home-theater-seating.html
2nd Row of 3 is 100" wide...height is 42.5"

https://4seating.com/seatcraft-theater-seating/seatcraft-grenada-back-row-seating.html
3rd Row of 3 is 100" wide...height is 49"

The 100" width of the 2nd & 3rd Rows will squeeze into the approx. 130" width you'll have after the Walls are finished...that leaves 15"......although it might be wisest to offset those two rear rows so they are just 10" from one side wall, leaving a full 22" of aisle on one side.

Another idea is to go with the 3 Seat Theater Sofa design offered for that 1st Row. That choice is only 87" wide...and that would leave you enough walk-through space on the 2nd & 3rd Rows for sure! (21" on each side or 30" on one side) The fact that most Couches do not recline makes the lack of such on the Front Row Seating a none issue.

Honestly...there are very few options available in the Multi-row Seating genre, and the one's I chose for you are probably the nicest for the least expense.

Laying them out correctly involves know how far the 2nd & 3rd Row recline....which is 65". That would involve leaving a minimum of 16" between the front "non-reclined" edge of the Rear Row and the back of a "non-reclined 2nd Row. Or more between the 2nd & 3rd Row if you want easier access when someone is reclined in both rows.

The back of the Bar (front side actually) would have to be 6" from the back of the "non-reclined" Rear Row.

So OK...you have your Seating all set (right? ;) )

The 5040ub can deliver a great image for you....and you should be considering a acoustic transparent Screen. You'll be pestered to consider building a entire Wall, I'm sure, but it would be better for you to condier some really good In-Wall Speakers...all 3 fronts that can be hidden behind the Screen's parameters.

Sound is now something that needs to be addressed, and in such a Tunnel-like room with a 8'ceiling, it had better be well plotted out and the right type of speakers selected. But that is for another post. Let's see how my "seating" suggestions "set" with you first. :sneaky:

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Here is a visual to help you envision the seating concept"

It's all a tight fit...but manageable

And with a 8' high wall, andyou wanting as big an image as possible, I'm reconsidering Acoustic Transpancy for a Screen and going to suggest that the entire Wall receive a coating of High Contrast Screen paint, and that In-Wall Speakers be used in the below configuration.

Doing so will provide you with a Non-Format Specific area where you can take full advantage of the 5040's Lens Memory and have a epically wide 146" diagonal 2.39:1 image, yet also go as large as 70" x 124" (143" diag.)@ 16:9

Now of course much will depend upon what Speakers are considered...the budget limitations...and basically what amounts to being most important to you.

Have a look see....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts