AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys; I'm going to be building a home theater system for my apartment in the very near future. I have already put together a system for my living room at home (I'm a college student) and I'm ready to move on. What I put together in my permanent house is here *EDIT Since I don't have 3 posts yet I can't post the link, but I'll PM if you really want to see it.

I want to spend between $1500-2000; nothing more, but less is always better.

Here is what I am considering as of right now; I also have the advantage of a CC employee discount as well as super-liquidated prices, so that should make things much easier.

TV: Panasonic TH42PZ80U

Receiver: Onkyo TXSR606

Blu-ray: PS3 Gaming Console

HDMI: CC discount gets me Monster cables at 60% off...

Monster Powercenter 1600 (60% off as well)

I already have plenty of speaker wire and the furniture...but I am having one issue: What speakers would work best? It looks like I will have around $500 to spend on them; the room is around 9ft x 9ft x 8ft. I don't want anything too loud since I do have to respect my neighbors but I definitely don't want a third-grade Onkyo HTiB system.. Thanks for any input! If am I leaving anything out, let me know and I'll edit it in.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Your thread asks for Home Theater advice so here is my old "broken record" suggestion for creation of a Theater experience in one's home - first basic is try to find an affordable projector and a screen cause no television can deliver a Theater visual experience.

If you have wall area and can at all control room light and now that all CircuitCity stores are going to close I urge you to try and find a close out or store floor demo projector.

Sound is a very important accessory to Theater experience but the main component is visual. Our budget is ALWAYS limited but we learned our HD TV even @ 56inch just didn't give us the WOW - just like the movies experience so we put majority of our budget into a 720p projector (store demo unit @ $600) and screen and our ears are quite happy for now with a lower end Onkyo (actually bought at CC) Onkyo we paid less than $500 for and in our relatively small viewing area the sound is great but the treat for our eyeballs is awesome.

Best of Luck with your HT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recommend you check out the EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System on sale for about 60% off at the Audioholics store for $489 shipped as of 1-18-09. The speakers are basically RBH speakers repackaged for internet distribution. The subwoofer alone is worth the system price. I heard the system with the Onkyo 606 and Audyessy setup and it was well worth the retail price and a great bargin on sale. You can search on "EMP" on this site and the Audioholics site for background if you are interested. This is the bookshelf speaker set as the corresponding tower 5.1 set sold out and prices returned to full retail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I do not have enough room for a projector, but I will keep it in mind for the future. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts