AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

design around a sump pump help?

464 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SoundOff 
#1 ·
I am in the process of finishing my design for my home theater in my basement. The room is 26'x14' with a sump pump in the back corner. The sump, drain and cleanout

take up about a 3'x4' area. Here is my question.

I am going to put in a 7.1 system. Should I box in the area as a closet? Will there be reflection problems with the rear speakers? Or, should I box it like a bench area or table area to have a full back wall for my rear speakers?

I am curious to what others might have done to conceal their sumps. I can't really build the back wall closer since I need the depth for this room plus the stairs are in the way.

sorry for no picture or diagram but any input would be deeply appreciated.

#2 ·
Hmm...

Just off the top of my head, one thing you can do is build a 3'x4' box like you said, and on the opposite side made the same size box for your subwoofer.

Then if you don't like the looks of boxes, you can dress it up with molding, put light stand on it. Or dress it up with molding, get two racks, like display cases or racks and put your collectibles on them, like something that you find cool, and then add some down lighting or something.

For lights you can put them on another or the same circuit as the main lights and use pot lights or track lighting... something.

Just my 2 Cents

Divert

#4 ·
 Drawing of the Boxes

Here's my horrible 1 minute drawing using paint :)

Divert

O yea... I went right out crazy and curved the Box.. heh

And you can use like silk or that Air Foam stuff.

Edit: Speaker Grill, thats the word I was looking for :)

#6 ·
I had the same issue when I built my HT. I made the corner where the pump was a part of the riser for the 2nd tier of seating.

I boxed out the sump (within the riser for the 2nd tier of seating), made sure the piping was in the joists, and made a trap door for access to the pump. I cut the trap door undersized so that when the carpet installer came in he carpeted 5 sides of the trap door and I ended up with a riser, access to the pump, and it's almost invisible (because of the carpet).

Since the pump is now enclosed, I made sure to add a moisture sensor and alarm - no way can I afford to have the pump fail and not know it!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.