AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed installing 13 Infocus LP790 projectors in a couple of restuarants for the HD football season. Now I have problem. These bars produce lots of smoke and dust particles which inturn require me to have these projectors serviced every 1/4....the calculated bill alone for this is about 30 big ones. I'm thinking about creating a Hushbox, although it would be more like a ventilation system, out of plexiglass and liquid nails. The catch is that these projectors are on mounts connected to a 4 ft. pole which drops down from the ceiling. Any ideas, sketches, or suggestions will be helpful. I can't pull air from the current ventalation systems sense it shoots out heat during the winter. I'm thinking about creating a special system just for the projectors using an In-line duct booster fan and a thermostat placed near the projector to pull air in from the restuarant. Naturally there would have to be some sort of filter between the fan and the projector. Any ideas!?

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
While I do not have anything to contribute for a design I hope something comes from this thread. Many will gain from it.

I installed a batch of digital projectors in a bar/restaurant and I will never do it again. Lost my a%$ in the long run. I could not keep the projectors going for long periods without the need for service. Dust/smoke/ employees leaving the projectors on for days, beer spattered on them.

Coupled with very small profit margin to begin with because these types of establishments dont pay squat but they expect you to jump all hours of the night as soon as something goes wrong.

I learned my lesson and I am now far more cautious and review the installation site before getting involved.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Since it is a bar, it doesn't have to be quiet. Pulling cleaner air from the restaurant would be a good idea. You could even use a large filter like a 12" x 12" or bigger at the intake for easy replacement. Then dump the air out at the projector.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only effective way to remove smoke is to use an electrostatic filter. They make electrostatic filters for home furnaces that do this. I would then back it with another high efficiency furnace filter that removes 99.99 percent of particles like a Filtrete from 3M. This gives a nice large surface area for lots of air and uses off the shelf parts/filters.

- Dan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, a high grade filter will be the best way to go. What about fan placement? Should I be pulling air or pushing air to the projector? Any ideas about fan size? I was thinking about using a 4-inch or 6-inch inline duct booster fan system. Also each store has 2 projectors (12 stores total) , is there a possibility of spliting the air supply after the fan and running it to two seperate projectors? Your wisdom is much appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi

Would it be easier/cheaper to pull the smoke out of the restaurants air instead? At home, we use a Heppa filter in the lounge when the PJ is on as we both smoke. You can see the difference it makes by the amount of smoke in the PJ beam when the filter is off (lots) and none visible when it's on.

Mick

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a possibility, but the fact still remains that these projectors are gonna be sucking in tons of dust. The CRT Zeniths we pulled down from there originally are covered head to toe. I'd rather spend $500 a projector making hushboxes versus spending $30g's every 3 months to get them all cleaned. The ultimitate goal here is to have the least amount of service done while keeping maximum efficiency. I will look into the Hepppa filter though and appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mick,

Please post the product number of your Hepa filter so i can check it out, these just might work.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi dustbuny

Firstly, I have to say I have no connection with the company selling these.

We have a domestic unit called a HEPA Tower, capable of covering an area of up to 320 sq. ft. with an effective range of 21.5 ft. It’s available from Amcor (Appliances) Ltd in the UK, pat at amcorintl dot co dot uk, telephone +44 20 8560 4141. They may be able to give you information of larger units or availability of the filters themselves.

The filter is described in their owners manual as a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter constructed from a microfiber (spelling is from their manual so may be a US product) glass air filtration material, made the same way as paper but using glass fibers. The flat filter is then pleated to give an extended surface area, increasing its air handling capacity. Laid out flat, the filter area is 20 sq ft, pleated its about 12 inches tall, 6 inches wide and 1 inch deep.

The unit has two fans to pull dirty air through the filter, passing clean air out of the front of the unit and is noisy, but on the low setting, quieter than the PJ. If we have smoking friends round, we use the high setting. The unit sits on a table but could easily be placed sideways on a shelf.

The manual says filtration efficiency for particles >= 1.0 micron and

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Dustbuny:

I too am faced with trying to figure out the dust and smoke dilemma. I just purchased an NEC GT2150 for use in a restaraunt/nightclub. I called NEC to find out if there is a spec for CFM needed for cooling. No luck, only BTU's radiated by the projector (1428). I have been looking at different air cleaners and filters but have not come up with what I feel is a comfortable solution. You might consider pulling air from outside if it is easy to access. I do not have that ability as distance and bricks make it impractical.

I'm hoping to find an electrostatic cleaner to place along one wall of box to outside air. Then seal it so that all air from cleaner circulates through PJ.

I'll be interested in what others have done!

Jeff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm faced with the same distance & brick dilemmma. Electrostatic filters are the way togo, but I'm afraid that they might restrict the airflow to the PJ. I'm still thinking out a way to place a fan to pull in air from the restuarant, through the filter and into the projector. Keep me posted on what you end up doing, I'll do the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A sealed light engine would be preferred, but there are not many and those such as the NEC LT240, 260 are not bright enough (Lumen perception on DLP is lower vs. LCD). Others are too expensive. My thought is that it would be cheaper to create a sealed enviorment rather than buying and be limited to a handful of projectors.

Jeff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was leaning towards a sealed environment. Ofcourse I'll be building 13 of those badboys so that's why I'm still searching for another solution. I was considering using plexigalls as the casing, but the problem lies in designing a sleek and powerful air flow system. I was thinking Induct fan systems designed especially for this purpose. Basically filtering the air from the restuarant and (pulling/pushing?) it into the projectors. I'm fairly confident that this system will work, it's just a matter of trial and error.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The sports bars around me seem to go with plasmas around the room and one or two very large rear projecting setups. I dunno how well plasmas stand up to smoke but the RP units (FPs projecting onto a large RP screen) seem to be well protected as long as you have a few feet behind the screens to play with.

I see a fairly sophisticated video distribution systems in a couple of the places that mix CNN, ESPN and um, one of the business channels along with house videos (ads mostly...Guiness and a couple others).

Nigel

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I don't see what the problem is. You've got the plexiglass box already planned (I will assume you know not to project through plexiglass). All you need is a large intake with a hepafilter, duct work, an inline fan, and a sears table plug so the fan will turn on when the projector turns on. Call either an HVAC installer who has worked with inline fans or the manufacturer and ask if push or pull is better.

I can picture the whole thing and am just wondering why a prototype hasn't been started yet.

And you can't have it in a sealed environment unless you want to watch the projector melt inside the plexiglass box. Also, a sealed light engine is different than a sealed environment. A sealed environment has no air coming in and no air going out. Are you sure you sell these projectors a lot? You don't sound like a projector salesman and installer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
dustbunny, where are you in Atlanta, I'd like to come by and see your place. I'm up 400 north. This is an interesting topic, you learn so much from the AVS forum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.