AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am planning on placing a bar behind my second row of seats with four or five barstools.

I chose this over the regular theater seats to have a place for the laptop, bowl of ice cream, snacks (chips/dips) etc.

I will have a couple of can lights above the bar on one zone so I can light up the area dimly for superbowl/sporting event parties separately from the rest of the theater. Plus it will provide good overflow seating.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you watch a lot of sports in your theaterand entertain lots of people, the bar and stools makes sense. Aesthetically speaking, I don't think it looks as good but it depends on what your use for the space is.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue /forum/post/0

If you watch a lot of sports in your theaterand entertain lots of people, the bar and stools makes sense. Aesthetically speaking, I don't think it looks as good but it depends on what your use for the space is.

Agreed. Well put.

If it was a two row, I'd say no. Since you have the space for three rows, I'd say go for it (bar area).

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have a bar in rear row. It never gets used except to hold crap and food now and then. I went with tall stools in the back and didn't need them to be on a riser. Personally, I wish my bar was a wall to the ceiling instead so my room was smaller. Also, I thought I could cut a hole in the wall to project through. That would put my projector in a different room, so I would be more quite. Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This thread is over a year old but it is the only one I could find using the search addressing a third row of high bar stools. I know many have done this but searching without looking at every build thread is next to impossible with dial up.

My room is 13x26 with a 12" riser for the second row. The third row will be informal high bar stools and I am looking to attach some type of table to the back of the riser. I am not a master wood crafter as many around here are but just looking at about a 12" deep bar type table to set a beer on while watching a game.

I saw one other where they just built up with 2x lumber and toped with tile. Looking for other examples. At first I was thinking just a long (10') by narrow,(12" deep) high (42-46") table but without attaching to the riser I think it would be tippy.

Thoughts? Examples???

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is certainly comes down to personal preference, but I like the bar at the back. Good place to eat dinner and watch a movie. I am planning on putting a bar behind my theater as well. I really like how BIGMouthinDC did it. sweet!

My plan is to run a series of a/v cables back to the bar so that I can hook up my laptop/video camera/ipod and display on the big screen... The bar also gives you more options for entertaining.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/13745776

Have you seen buffbakers?

Yea, I have which is why I added the comment "I am not a master wood crafter". I would love to do something like that but that is some major finish work. Looks awesome...

I am definitely doing the bar rather than a third row of seating. I know the original thread was asking this question but again, it was as close to the topic as I could find. I probably could have just started a new thread.

Anyway, I spent the day between a my countertop guy and a metal fabricator. I am doing my room in two tones of gray so am considering steel poles to hold up the counter top. I don't really like the idea of mounting the post to the concrete so I am looking at options to connect it to the riser instead.

Option 1: Come horizontally out of the riser, then 90 degree elbow up.

Option 2: Build a box on the floor that connects to the riser that could be used as a foot stand when you are sitting at the bar and have the poles come straight out of it.

Still not sure if the metal post is the way to go and the fabricator I spoke with doesn't sound that excited about the project but I may call another tomorrow.

Big, yours definitely looks sharp. My bar will be almost 10' long and I am planning three seating positions so if I build similar to yours my drawing has one support on each end and two others that divide the space into 3 pieces. I might also steal the radius idea on the countertop as well.

djlemo makes a good point on wiring. I ran coax, phone line, and cat 5e to my riser and was planning to run them to my front row through the front of the riser but being able to connect at the bar make sense. Have to think on that one. Surfing the web (ie this forum) with a game on in the back ground (like I am doing now only at a desk with a 9" screen
) sounds like a plan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.