AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have designed a home theater computer If you have any recomendations please feel free to offer me advice. I'm new to this. It is only the second one I've built.

Stats:

Antec Minuet Piano black case--$70

Crucial Micron 512 PC2700 DPR RAM--$84

Lite-on XJ-HD166/XJ HD 165H 16x DVD black--$33

WD 1200JB 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE--$118

Mini-itx Epia Nehemiah M10000--$170

Zippy EL-610 Slim Luminescent Keyboard--$30

$505 total

I want this system more for playing movies/DVD's/Emulators.

this is not a gaming system. I thought about going to a lower grade motherboard but I was worried about its ability to play high end divx. I'm still a little worried. I don't mind a tiny bit of lag for a $500 computer, but I don't want it to be too much. Please offer me your suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on people I've had 72 people look at this and no one wants to say anything. If you think its good just tell me that. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think that platform, with the 1Ghz Eden is fine for playback of DVD and DiVX, but if you decide to add capture features or image scaling to your system you might be a bit short in the grunt department. As far as I can remember from reading reviews on the Eden platform, that cpu is only equivelant to a P3 500-700 depending on the task.

You might want to consider a micro-atx Nforce2 board and a cheap AthlonXP. There are several m-ATX nforce2 boards around and if you get the right chip and cooler combo you can still have fairly quiet operation, especially with the Zalman products. This would offer a lot more grunt.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'd agree with yanman as far as board and CPU go, it may be a bit light for future tasks and software/filters/etc.

As for your question on RAM, no, get 512MB as a minimum. The cost savings going down to 256MB is not worth it performance wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.