AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the planning stages of my new HT and have an unfinished area in our basement of about 16' x 28' x 9' to build in. The only problem is that 17' back from the wall I am planning to put the screen on is the first of 2 support poles that are right in the middle of the area, the next is 22' from front wall.

I do not believe this will be a problem since I plan on the first row of seating to be in front of my first pole and I will probably put a chair on either side of the obstructing pole(s) for the second row. Seating for 5-6 people will be sufficent for our needs.

My main question is what type of work-arounds have you all used in this or a similar situation to diguise the poles and make them less obtrusive?

No, the poles can not be moved due to the design of the upper floors.

Thanks for your answers to this first of many questions, I plan on starting construction in the next 2 weeks with a goal of finishing in 6-12 months. After lurking on this forum for 2 years I finally have the space to do this with the purchase of our new house.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverph
I am in the planning stages of my new HT and have an unfinished area in our basement of about 16' x 28' x 9' to build in. The only problem is that 17' back from the wall I am planning to put the screen on is the first of 2 support poles that are right in the middle of the area, the next is 22' from front wall.

I do not believe this will be a problem since I plan on the first row of seating to be in front of my first pole and I will probably put a chair on either side of the obstructing pole(s) for the second row. Seating for 5-6 people will be sufficent for our needs.

My main question is what type of work-arounds have you all used in this or a similar situation to diguise the poles and make them less obtrusive?

No, the poles can not be moved due to the design of the upper floors.

Thanks for your answers to this first of many questions, I plan on starting construction in the next 2 weeks with a goal of finishing in 6-12 months. After lurking on this forum for 2 years I finally have the space to do this with the purchase of our new house.
I was fortunate in my HT that is being constructed now, as the steel support pole was right in-line with where a wall was going, so it will be covered in the wall. I have seen other theaters where the poles were just boxed in and appeared as a framed column. Also, they make kits, that would look like a circular column that also looks nice. There isnt much you can do but disguise it, as you said in your post, you can't exactly move them :) Best of luck with your new theater, please keep us informed as you make progress.

Jay

·
Registered
233 Posts
There was a show on DIY this last week that I can't find the information for right now. They were doing the same type of thing to cover an ugly pole.

They made a 6x6 beam out of the pole with sections of lumber anchored to a template that was glued to the pole and anchored to the floor and ceiling. It looked really good when finished.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If the first pole is exactly center, how about a vertical equipment cabinet and projection booth. Seems to be about the right distance for many projectors. This would appear more natural in the room than making a colum out of it IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.