AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a modest home theater/media room in my last house, but we moved early last year and now that my bank account is starting to recover, I want to start planning Theater 2.0.

I'm looking at keeping most/all of my current equipment (Paradigm Studio 40v3 L/R, CC470v3 center, and 20v3 rear, SVS PB12/Plus 2, Epson 7500UB and 110" Stewart screen currently), and putting most of my resources into the room since that can't be easily changed down the road. Maybe next year I'll look at upgrading some of this stuff (Atmos, for example).

The problem is I don't know where to start... I know I'd like to have two rows of seating and a bar behind the second row for overflow (and maybe to keep snacks and stuff when watching a football game). I also wouldn't mind a pinball machine, bubble hockey, etc in part of the basement. Whether that's in a separate room or part of one big "media room" instead, I'm not sure.

Also, do I build a false wall with an AT screen at one end? Or just leave the speakers out? Where should I put the equipment? So many choices...

Attached is a diagram of the basement. The walls unfortunately have to stay in place as they're structural (I was hoping I could move them, but I suspect that'd be really expensive and not give me that much more room). My wife really wants a half bath in the basement as well, so the toilet location is pretty much set. There's a rough-in for a shower just to the left of the toilet, but we don't need that - so the entrance to the bathroom can be from anywhere.

Initially I was thinking of putting the screen against the wall with the egress window and using the closet to store the equipment, but now I'm thinking maybe it makes sense to put it on the opposite wall and build a little closet where the shower rough-in is instead.

So many things to consider, so I'm hoping for some suggestions here! I'm also thinking about reaching out to EG for the "basic" design package, but I think I need some of my own ideas before I even start that.

I'm not very handy, so will likely be contracting a lot of this. I've done the low voltage and insulation before, so I'll probably do those myself, but not sure about the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
What did you like/dislike about your HT 1.0 layout and setup? Will a stand alone HT meet your family needs? Since you have perspective, jot down your dream HT as a starting point.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
How many seats you need?

What is the length from the big window to the front wall?

I'd be thinking of fabric walls with a hidden media storage room and
hidden av rack. You'd just be adding to the existing walls.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I haven't been active in my thread -- I was at SXSW last week, so my timing for starting the thread was probably not entirely optimal... :D

Tedd -

I'll have to measure, but I think it's probably a good 4-6' from the edge of the window to the wall to the left.

As for seating, as I said initially, two rows plus a bar. I'd like each row to hold 4 seats, but I suspect that might not be possible especially with my current Berklines. So I might have to do 3 in front, 4 in the second row (get smaller seats), and then another 4 or so at the bar.

Your second diagram looks really interesting - unfortunately I don't think there's room to do that hallway. I should get some painter's tape to see if it's possible though, because it'd be kind of cool though.

Thanks for two designs I never even considered before!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts