AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is yet another budget build. New house that we have been in a little, under a year. I wanted something that is multifunctional for either a movie night or to have the game on as we entertain in the back yard.

The basement is finished, so this is all done as a remodel. An adjacent utility/HVAC room is unfinished, so that is where the equipment will be located and how the wires will be run into the "theater".

Equipment:
Benq 1070
136" Carl Flexiwhite 1:1 screen
Onkyo 626
Mono price 5.1 + extra 2 speakers and Sub for a 7.2 surround.
3 TB HTPC
Play station 3

How the room started.
Room Property Building Furniture Interior design

More photos to come

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the goal:
The design has changed a bit as I have decided to not do the columns. Instead I am going to borrow the staggard wall look that was done by Landshark and Big. This will allow an easier remodel look and to allow me to hide the wires (outside the wall) that will need to travel from the rack under the stairs to the front.

There is a door that leads to the back yard, that will (eventually), be closed up when french doors are installed in the other room to provide an exit. (Still getting quotes on this).

The two openings on either side of the columns, will be closed up with dryall and either static posters installed in the recess or LCD active posters. Undecided at this point on that.

I will be DIY'ing Barn doors and rail to close off the theater room to control Ambient light and make for an immersed experience during a movie.

There is no sound control throughout the house, so the base does travel to the main floor. Is what it is and if the theater is being used, the entire family will most likely be there anyway, so not a show stopper.

I have twelve high back theater chairs I picked up on CL for $300.00. They are pretty comfortable and I wanted to be able to fit more seating in. I originally intened to use two rows of 5 (The room is 14' wide). It left ~24 inches on each side. That just felt a little too tight to me as I was having to make sure I didnt bump into the Surround speaker, so I have for the time decided to do two rows of four. That is still debatable. The back row will be on an 8" riser.

House Room Animation Architecture Games

Architecture Room Animation House Games

Update:
The built in's were removed and the wall skimmed and then primed. I originally wasnt going to do a stage, but...with the removal of the cabinents, it left a 22" patch of concrete. So instead of trying to match carpet, I am going to build an 8" stage with curved front, fill with sand, hardwood the top and set the sub's on each side of it.

This is where I am right now.
Ceiling Wall Room Floor Tile

Room Ceiling Property Wall Plaster

I need to run the outlet for the projector, power to the six 3" recess on each side of the room and still cut the holes and install the 3" eyeball LED's for the screen wash. That is my goal today.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I remember your earlier thread. Congratulations on getting this underway !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed. And I referred to your advice regularly. Thanks again for the feedback and motivation. It feels good to get started.

There were many obstacles in pulling the power today and ensuring I missed HVAC pipes, gas lines and Pex Water lines. I picked a video scope up from Harbor Frieght to assist in making sure obstacles remained obstacles and not problems.

I did get the power outlet for the Projector pulled, 9 can lights, the feed to the panel and the HDMI from the rack to the Projector today. Tomorrow I should have all the electrical complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished the lights this morning. All LED's. Sides and screen wash on separate dimmers. I'll replace them with Lutron Caseta's down the road.

Lights aren't oushed in yet. I have to paint first and then they will be in final placement. It may sound odd, but the electrical was a huge hurdle. The rest is cosmetic.

Ceiling Lighting Room Conference hall Building

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Started painting using Behr Stealth Jet. Still need to paint the side walls, but it has helped the picture tremendously. Also need to frame the screen with 2" pine and felt to eat the overflow off the screen.

Still to do:
* build the stage
* build the riser
* build the barn door and slide mechanism
* Drywall up between the columns and sidewalls
* Run the wire for the surround
* Install the staggerwall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LCR are run and hooked up. Still need to fish and install the surrounds and rear surrounds when I finish trimming the header

I did finish painting the room and mocked up a few stagger panels with the material I am thinking of using. A burlap with a deep navy pattern. Not 100% sold yet.

And I don't miss a chance of turning in the PJ when I can. :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
LCR are run and hooked up. Still need to fish and install the surrounds and rear surrounds when I finish trimming the header

I did finish painting the room and mocked up a few stagger panels with the material I am thinking of using. A burlap with a deep navy pattern. Not 100% sold yet.

And I don't miss a chance of turning in the PJ when I can. :)

I would stay away from light-colored fabrics. They tend to show a distracting ghost image reflected off the screen in a dark room.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a fairly darker shade of tan. I have been batting back and forth between Black and Tan or Black and Grey. I tend to like the Black and Tan since I am not changing out the carpet. It matches well enough.

How light is too light? And the ghosting is light reflecting back? I wonder if I ended up using the Tan, if I stopped it well before the screen would it help (hopefully ensuring I hit the first reflecting point. ).

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

OMG that sandwich looks amazing! ;)

Love seeing rooms come together on a shoestring.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It's a fairly darker shade of tan. I have been batting back and forth between Black and Tan or Black and Grey. I tend to like the Black and Tan since I am not changing out the carpet. It matches well enough.

How light is too light? And the ghosting is light reflecting back? I wonder if I ended up using the Tan, if I stopped it well before the screen would it help (hopefully ensuring I hit the first reflecting point. ).

Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks as light as your skin and like it has some sheen to it.

I would go brunette rather than blond if you are staying in the brown color range.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Good question Dreamer. I'd like to try it.

Be nice if it worked, because those rear-lit paper movie poster cases have reflective glass fronts that would be very distracting inside the actual theaters. They are for lobbies, not inside. I have vinyl lobby movie posters on my side walls near the screen and they are distracting even with though they are nowhere near as reflective as glass. Fabric should not reflect at all unless it is satin:D. I didn't think about it before I bought all the vinyl lobby posters on e-bay, and I'm loathe to just junk a couple hundred $ of movie art.

Reactions: Tedd

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Ever consider doing a pair of digital movie poster "light boxes" in the filled in section between,
down the road?

You could have some poster artwork "bling" yet still keep the theater a darker environment aimed at
extracting all your projector's performance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts