AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the layout I think we have come up with for the basement.  Unfortunately it isn't as long as I had hoped.  From talking with a local stereo store they had said doing 2 row of seats with a riser is to tight !   We have two lazyboy recliners we were hoping to use for the front chairs but they are pretty big (39" wide by 34" deep).   We have a 100" stewart screen screen (16:9).  They had told us that we want to be sitting 14 ft from the screen which squeezes out the 2nd row of seats.  We thought of just trying to sell the lazyboys and get one of those three or 4 seat recliners/couches and remove the riser and back seats.  Thoughts ?   Originally i thought of having the chairs, eye level with the distance to the screen being around 11ft. 

Also were going to do some stuff to isolate the sound in the room, like insulation in the walls and ceiling, as well as use the resilent channels and clips.  If we do this whats the best way of installing pot lights for the ceiling lights and possible wall sconces for the side walls so that we don't have an easy way for sound to escape.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanataIan  /t/1526251/designing-a-home-theater...asement-and-wifes-thoughts/0_40#post_24578917

From talking with a local stereo store they had said doing 2 row of seats with a riser is to tight !   We have two lazyboy recliners we were hoping to use for the front chairs but they are pretty big (39" wide by 34" deep).   We have a 100" stewart screen screen (16:9).  They had told us that we want to be sitting 14 ft from the screen which squeezes out the 2nd row of seats.  We thought of just trying to sell the lazyboys and get one of those three or 4 seat recliners/couches and remove the riser and back seats.  Thoughts ?  

Do yourself a favor and never set foot in that store again. You should be sitting about 10 1/2- 11 ft from a 100 inch screen, which is actually too small for a two row theater.

Flip the orientation of the room and walk in between the screen and the first row of seating, then the riser can go wall to wall, skip the large columns on the side and you can fit in a three seat first row if you want, but two lazy-boys is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the feedback, the columns are on the side due to a metal post being there or I would have made the theater wider.  I can switch the door to the side where the screen is.  The dimensions of the room are unfinished so I will lose some with the finished 5/8" drywall and the clips.  I have 9 ft basement ceilings and there is little HVAC in the ceiling to block the view of things.  I used one of the viewing distance calculator and they said the recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle) was 11.2 ft. 

I saw someone used these seats which seem decent - http://www.theaterseatstore.com/verona-plus-movie-seat?sc=8&category=-108 .  They would work for the back row of seats if we kept the lazyboys.  My main dilemma is whether or not I should even bother trying to squeeze two row of seats given the size of the room ? 

I was thinking of using some definitive technology speakers for the sides and rears - inceiling so that people don't walk into them.  Def Tech - UIW RCS III

1 - 4 of 4 Posts