AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOKS LIKE THESE TWO FORMATS BEG TO HAVE A MUCH CLOSER SEATING POSITION. They also favour the CIW and 4 way CIA masking options.

If I had to build my own theater this is what I would do. Using a Dolby 3-D DCI projector.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Fair enough. But some of us also want to have money left when we retire

3D maybe, but I don't really care how many ba-jillion pixels they start stuffing into display devices, Sitting any closer makes me nauseous.

Clearly, the jump from SD to 1080i/p was a needed update as the quality was sorely lacking prior. However, for the industry as a whole (not just the extremely small and niche market of electro-philes) going bigger will hit a huge wall of diminishing returns (even bigger than the screen wall.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Unless we have 4k source material, I don't think I want to sit any closer.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However for 3-D I have devised my own formulations that coincidentally apply to 4k.

If you look at Avatar the full hd frame is matted down to cinemascope a la super 35, but for 3-D additional height is needed for envelopment and because of more closeups. Avatar 3-D is going to be shown open matte in 1.85.

These are the type of chair layouts I was considering for the sketch above.

LOL on the retirement, with this theater you do not retire, it's actually your mausoleum and get burried there.

Regarding the Torus , would be fantastic specially with top and bottom masking, however to do the right sound it will be very difficult but doable.

It's easier to do large Torusses with cinemascope CIH shapes from an acoustical standpoint.

I envisioned 4 way curved masking, that way you can choose different ar's and sizes at whim, or to better show certain source content.

I believe 4K lens need to be made in short throw. I will be testing at the Temple Of Home Theater a fixed 1.2 lens that will be the type of resolution, geometry and contrast to make DLP 4K really shine. They say this is the best lens Barco ever made.

So yes the real challenge will be a short throw zoom lens for 4 way CIA masking.

That furnace is not that bad like 1,600 watts 220, the dp-3000 chassis based 4k unit, which will be the first to do superbright 3-D and 4K, uses tri phasic electricity and something like 6,000 watts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts