AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here with little current AV knowledge. I want to come up with an AV system to handle both music (1st priority) and movies (2nd) and need some help on where to start.

BACKGROUND: I will soon have a new Panasonic 50" plasma TV (w/DirecTV) that will be going into a large, open living room (20x24' cathedral ceiling) open to an adjacent kitchen (20x14'). After lugging my old stereo around for literally decades, it's time to start fresh. I've read enough to know that HTiB is definitely not the way to go for this type of applicaton but where to start with designing a new system? I'll need (at least):

--receiver

--speaker system for music and 5.1

--DVD/CD player (5-disc capacity)

BUDGET We're ready to make a significant investment to get good solid quality sound that will last us for years.... up to, say, $2,000 if necessary. I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not necessarily looking for top-of-the-line or latest-greatest specs and features. I'm looking for a "very good" system, not a "perfect" one.

How do I start? I don't necessarily need specific component suggestions (though those are welcome too), I'm wondering things like:

--do I start by picking speakers or receiver first?

--where are the best places to get more info (without spending months researching)?

--best places to shop? etc. etc.

Informed suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow, just about what I want to do to.

I would love to here some suggestions as well.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopup /forum/post/0

Newbie here with little current AV knowledge. I want to come up with an AV system to handle both music (1st priority) and movies (2nd) and need some help on where to start.

BACKGROUND: I will soon have a new Panasonic 50" plasma TV (w/DirecTV) that will be going into a large, open living room (20x24' cathedral ceiling) open to an adjacent kitchen (20x14'). After lugging my old stereo around for literally decades, it's time to start fresh. I've read enough to know that HTiB is definitely not the way to go for this type of applicaton but where to start with designing a new system? I'll need (at least):

--receiver

BUDGET We're ready to make a significant investment to get good solid quality sound that will last us for years.... up to, say, $2,000 if necessary. I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not necessarily looking for top-of-the-line or latest-greatest specs and features. I'm looking for a "very good" system, not a "perfect" one.

How do I start? I don't necessarily need specific component suggestions (though those are welcome too), I'm wondering things like:

--where are the best places to get more info (without spending months researching)?

Start with speakers first With a $2000 budget I woud allow at least $1000 for the speaker system, speakers are going to be the biggest fator in overall system sound. I would suggest going and listening to as many as you can, without the intent to buy, just listen, you'll find some brands/model you like better and one may even jump out at you, also do a post in the speaker forum with budget room size, what size speakers you're looing for and any other specifics, there are some really good internet direct brands that give the best bang for the buck.

After you get speakers out of the way allow $500 a piece or whatever the remaining budget is for sub and receiver both HSU and SVS have some really good offerings at that level and the receiver you have many choices, depends on the features your looking for mostly.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

Nice to see another changer fan.

I've always liked Panasonic's models, and Onkyo makes a 6 disc one. I'm pretty sure the Onkyo allows upscaling, too.

Sony makes one, but I'm not a big Sony fan.

They can all be had for around $100-$120.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Given that its going to be in a living room rather than a dedicated room, i would recommend the Yamaha YSP-1100. It acts as both a receiver and a "sound projector" Although I was skeptical at the concept, this unit has truly impressed me. If you can get one, there's not a huge difference betweeen it and the discontinued YSP-1000, though I would stay away from the cheaper YSP-800 and the YSP-1, as the technology had not been refined enough yet.

For the DVD changer, I would choose the Yamaha DV-C6860- it suits your needs for a changer, however, if you would like a player with a good up converter (am assuming your plasma is HD) and can live without the changer aspect i would recommend the Oppo OPDV971H, as there is nothing close in terms of performance, at least without spending half your budget on a player!

For a subwoofer, I like the Paradigm PDR-8; in this price class, nothing matches it for performance

Buy your cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Links to all these companies are available at the top of the page

The cost of this system is slightly above your budget (see below) however if you cut anything at this level, you're going to be losing A LOT of performance.
Cost (assuming list price)

YSP-1100........................................................ .$1699

DV-C6860 or OPDV971H....................................$199

PDR-8........................................................... ......$279

Cables from BJC (Approx)...................................$100

Total....................................................... ..........$2277

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:

--receiver

Well personal i don't think people can decide what you need, because it's a matter of taste how sound will hear.

For example, some HT will sound good for me but it can be poor for you.

I see that you have a large room, so you realy need a good sub like SVS or REL.

Speakers are a matter of taste but floorstanders will mostly sound warmer in a large area.

I think it's a better idea to search a AV receiver which has the functions you want then look to the best receiver (each receiver has it's own characteristics) matching the speakers you like.

Good luck.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daed1 /forum/post/0

Given that its going to be in a living room rather than a dedicated room, i would recommend the Yamaha YSP-1100. [/i]

Read up these before your make your decision. It sounds like you have an open wall, and the Yamaha only gives good surround sound in a four walled room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.