AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what happened, but my desktop icons have switched to what appears to be a lower resolution version. I'm running Win2k in 32 bit color.

I've tried all the things I know of to fix the problem. I've deleted the ShellIconCache file in the windows directory. I've used TweakUI to rebuild the icons.

TweakUI does something interesting, the icons appear correctly for a moment then they revert back to the crappy ones. Almost like a second set of icons is overwriting the default icons.

I've scanned my system for *.ico files and nothing looks odd.

I'm attaching my control panel screen shot it almost looks like the system has switched to using XP icons or something.

Are there any registry keys (aside from icon cache size) that are used to direct windows what icons to use?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is it possible that the size of the Icons were changed?

bg

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Right click desktop >>>> Properties >>>>>> Settings >>>> Advanced >>>>> General >>>>>> Display Font Size

bg

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, I had never changed that. It has always been set to small AFAIK. I'll try switching it to other.... 100% and see if that has an effect.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing change, I do agree the icons look like they could be sized larger. I took the images into photoshop and it looks like the good icons are a bit smaller than the bad ones. The ugly look could be a scale look.

I had the settings mentioned above set to "small" I switched to other at 100% and the same effect. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
1.Right-click an empty area of your desktop and choose Properties.

2.Open the Appearance tab.

3.Find Icon in the Item drop-down menu.

4.Change the size and press Apply to see how your icons will look. Don't be afraid to repeat this step and experiment with different sizes.

5.When you're satisfied with your icon size, hit OK.

try that

bg

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Right click on Desktop, select Properties. Open the Effects tab. Look at & play with the options called "Use large icons" and "Show icons using all possible colors". Maybe that helps?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, bg got it.

The icon size was set to be 33 instead of 32. Now to figure out how that got changed...? =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.