AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
The receiver says "MULTI-IN"
Are you using the analog multi-channel connections? If not, how is the BluRay player connected to the receiver? Do you have the BluRay player's digital output set to send PCM or Bitstream? I suggest setting it to Bitstream so your receiver can do the Dolby or DTS decoding. Then your receiver will read "Dolby Digital" or "DTS", or whatever codec you use.

I will look into that thread. However, I am afraid of buying another center as if that fails it is probably mean I will never find one, it's just me being picky. I'm kind of dreading to try a new one, as weird as that sounds.
If all else fails, try phantom CC as I described above just as an experiment to see if it helps. Doesn't cost anything to try it. You can always turn the CC back on.

Craig

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Like Polk, Monitor Audio doesn't offer a 3 way center until you get to their top-shelf (Gold) series
The Silver C350 is a 3-way. I had inquired about it during my own quest for a different CC, and no one seemed interested to even offer any insight on that one.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
best 2 way MTM I have had in my system is the Ascend Acoustics CMT 340C

I recently got the Infinity RC263C and it is the best center I have had in the system. its big. a steal at sale prices. and recommendable at list ( 499) unfortunately currently sold out.

as for alternatives, the Emotiva C1 or C2 are often recommended. I can't recall a negative review.

So putting brands aside, I would recommend a 3 way speaker over a 2 way, and a "Nested" tweeter configuration - tweeter is elevated over the woofer horizontal axis. also described as: W t/m W...

good luck.

also worth a mention, if for nothing else but looks, are the Tekton Design center based upon their 7 driver array...

also of note is ...the guy who does extensive measuring - totally blanking - a Revel center has preformed the best in his tests. so much so that he built his whole 7.x system based upon that...

good luck

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
The Silver C350 is a 3-way. I had inquired about it during my own quest for a different CC, and no one seemed interested to even offer any insight on that one.
Missed that one. Just looked it up, $975...ouch!

I guess KEF is not the only ridiculous price-gouger with 3 way centers, lol.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Missed that one. Just looked it up, $975...ouch!

I guess KEF is not the only ridiculous price-gouger with 3 way centers, lol.
It still would have been way less than the R2c - which is one reason why it was under consideration. Without any info on the sound signature/performance, I wasn't willing to take that chance. I probably wouldn't have even batted an eyelash if it was 1/3 the price, though.

With the KEFs, I at least had a pretty decent idea on their sound, especially in my space, so it was less of a gamble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple other 3 way centers are the SVS Prime and the Aperion Novus. The feedback for SVS Prime is a little hot and cold, so I’m not sure what to think about that option. The reviews I’ve seen of the Aperion Novus center have been pretty strong, but I haven’t seen any real user comments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just set my PS3 to Dolby Audio, the receiver recognized It but sadly no noticeable improvement for me.

Also, I think I might have messed up by posting here as I am from North Europe, so the center I need has to be purchasable from there. I tried posting in AVforums but they seemed very insistent on a phantom center, which to me did not really solve the problem.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
Reactions: cocrh

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I tried posting in AVforums but they seemed very insistent on a phantom center, which to me did not really solve the problem.
It might, though. Try it, and also try just moving your centre forward on that table you have it on in the photos. That'll cost you $0.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
There is a timing difference between the Left/Right and the Center related to their relative positions. Move the Left/Right forward more in the plain of the Center. Or ... though more difficult... find a way to move the Center back in line with the Left/Right Speakers.

To test whether placement is really the issue pull all the Front Speakers (L/C/R) about 1 or 2 meters into the room and place them on the same plain, that is with the front faces in a Straight line.

Now certainly this is not functionally practical, but it is just a test to see if the sound clears up. If it does, then you absolutely have a Placement problem that you need to work on.

Next, make sure a Crossover is applied to the Center Speaker. That is, if the Front/Sub crossover at 80hz, then the Center should also crossover at 80hz. If there is no crossover on the Center Speaker, it will tend to have a husky bassy drone that does nothing for clear dialog.

As I'm sure others have said, angle the Center up slightly so it is aimed more at ear level at the Prime Seating location.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that all the Front Three Speakers are wired the same. That in every case the Amp(Red+) goes to the Speaker(Red+). Nothing will suck the life out of a set of speakers like one of them being wired backwards.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
530 Posts
Turn every speaker except center off and see what happens.

Maybe it's just the movie is in the wrong?
Can you give an example where dialogue causes problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for your responses everyone. So any three way center channel speaker will be a significant, noticeable improvement? The one easiest for me to purchase right now would be Monitor Audio Silver C350, unless that one is considered poor?

I'm really hoping to get some clear dialogue, been planning to become a movie buff for some time, a bit frustrating that it is so hard.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Try using only central channel, with anything else turned off.
Then try using one of the other speakers as center in the same config

·
Registered
738 Posts
The best thing you can do is to measure your frequency response of the center speaker at your seating position. Get a UMIK-1, download REW and take measurements. Measure with both EQ on and off to see what is going on. Or just pick up a receiver with Audyssey XT32. For example something like a Denon X3500 which is back in stock at several places for very reasonable price (see deals forum). Then get the Audyssey app for $20 and you can eq the center to frequency response as needed. With the Audyssey app you will see the frequency response if you aren’t into measuring with a pc. Without seeing the frequency response of your center speaker in some way you are just going to be shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
@Plasmi, just remember that while you can improve the dialog and overall performance from the center channel by upgrading to a higher quality speaker it won't change the ratio of the sound effects to dialog in the center channel. In other words, if you turn up the volume of the center speaker to where you can comfortably understand dialog any sound effects mixed into the center channel will also be louder, which you previously said you found annoying.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for your responses everyone. So any three way center channel speaker will be a significant, noticeable improvement? The one easiest for me to purchase right now would be Monitor Audio Silver C350, unless that one is considered poor?

I'm really hoping to get some clear dialogue, been planning to become a movie buff for some time, a bit frustrating that it is so hard.
I had a Silver C150, 5th generation, not sure if the current C150 is any better or different.

I spent 6 months tinkering with positioning, EQ, room treatments etc. etc. I badgered my dealer to pester Monitor Audio about a better Silver Center.
I got dialogue to sound ok ish with significant manual EQ.

MA launched the C350, my dealer said "do you want me to pre order one of these?" I bought the C350 unheard, well I bought the C150 unheard too, it was supposed to match with my Silver 8's.

Now extremely happy with dialogue, dialogue clarity is the biggest comment I get from visitors, back when we were allowed visitors. I'm glad I learned about EQ, placement, reflections etc, it's a big part of clarity. I'd never buy an MTM center again, I'd use a extra bookshelf speaker, another same as my L&R if I could or at least a center with vertical alignment and preferrably a 3 way.

Earlier in the thread you said no-one was giving any feedback as to the quality of the C350, well I will. It's completely excellent for it's price, not as clear as the Silver 8's for vocals but really really close, an order of magnitude better than the C150. My C150 is in the loft, anyone want to buy it? I used to use it in the office but even there I have matching bookshelf speakers, 5 Bronze 1's.

Don't forget the other stuff, plenty of good advice in this thread but ditch the MTM, center speaker is the most important one in the whole system. Do all your crossover tweaking on the Center for movies, L&R for music.

That's what I think, a bit of forum searching will find you the history of my C150.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Another suggestion that has come up in this topic, not meant to be facetious, is to have your hearing tested. EQ can compensate for that, but it would be nice to know that nothing else is wrong.
Michael

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I just set my PS3 to Dolby Audio, the receiver recognized It but sadly no noticeable improvement for me.
Check your audio settings on your PS3, set it to Bitstream audio so your receiver is doing the audio decoding instead of the PS3. After you do that, run the audio calibration (Audyssey?) on your receiver again.

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
Another suggestion that has come up in this topic, not meant to be facetious, is to have your hearing tested. EQ can compensate for that, but it would be nice to know that nothing else is wrong.
Michael
Hearing is something we should all take seriously. One of the early signs of hearing loss is having difficulty understanding dialog from people you're with in a noisy environment like a crowded bar or restaurant. Separating dialog from sound effects when both are coming through the center channel is similar.

21 - 40 of 133 Posts