AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the responses everyone. So even if i get a three way center it could be the auto calibration that is the issue? I need a xt32 receiver?

I must admit I am finding all this demotivating and am considering giving up, as impatient as that sounds.

Check your audio settings on your PS3, set it to Bitstream audio so your receiver is doing the audio decoding instead of the PS3. After you do that, run the audio calibration (Audyssey?) on your receiver again.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I can't set it to both Dolby and bitstream?

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. So even if i get a three way center it could be the auto calibration that is the issue? I need a xt32 receiver?

I must admit I am finding all this demotivating and am considering giving up, as impatient as that sounds.
Don't give up already, man! Odds are, you simply had the bad luck to end up with a crappy center because you were following the usual "timbre matching" fairy tale that most folks in this hobby loves to regurgitate, salespeople especially.

And for Chrissakes, do NOT upgrade your receiver before trying out a decent center first---as previously suggested, all it takes is a quick buy-and-return experiment at Best Buy with one of those Klipsch RP centers. Then you can buy a high-value center like an Emotiva C1, Ascend 340SE, etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hearing is something we should all take seriously. One of the early signs of hearing loss is having difficulty understanding dialog from people you're with in a noisy environment like a crowded bar or restaurant. Separating dialog from sound effects when both are coming through the center channel is similar.

Here here. This landed me with a set of "aids"... I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. If you're older, or did a bunch of stupid stuff when younger (car stereos (yup), guns (oh definitely), concerts (a few), or both then you got loss. Hence my forum name, as it hits on both my hearing, and a like for Motorhead.

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
;)
Don't give up already, man! Odds are, you simply had the bad luck to end up with a crappy center because you were following the usual "timbre matching" fairy tale that most folks in this hobby loves to regurgitate, salespeople especially.

And for Chrissakes, do NOT upgrade your receiver before trying out a decent center first---as previously suggested, all it takes is a quick buy-and-return experiment at Best Buy with one of those Klipsch RP centers. Then you can buy a high-value center like an Emotiva C1, Ascend 340SE, etc.
Do they have Best Buy's in "North Europe"?

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
;)
Do they have Best Buy's in "North Europe"?
Hah! I was looking at his first 2 postings not the penultimate one where he mentioned that. :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Monitor Audio Silver C350
(1) That should be very good, it's basically a reconfigured version of the Silver 300s I spent a few hours listening to at Upscale Audio, they were excellent. Clear and lovely with jazz, classical, Steely Dan, pop. I could even play Iron Maiden and Motorhead cranked up, the speakers did not flinch at all unlike 99% of speakers I've auditioned.
(2) The table the center is on, sorry, NO. That's just not good with the speaker at the back and I don't really agree to move it to the front, then it's very close and...ugh. I guess the TV is too unstable if you put that center directly underneath? Maybe the C350 would be big enough for that? OR something somehow to support the TV. We just moved a friend's center channel from down low to on top of his console, in line with the main L/R. WOW what a difference! SO much better. Center channel flush to the front of the console please.
(3) Did you in fact run time alignment speaker setup on the receiver? Move the center and re-run
(4) Check you are running the pure 5.1 sound, not some synthesized "improvement" or "ambience" etc. It's easy to have your receiver doing not what you think

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Are you using the analog multi-channel connections? If not, how is the BluRay player connected to the receiver? Do you have the BluRay player's digital output set to send PCM or Bitstream? I suggest setting it to Bitstream so your receiver can do the Dolby or DTS decoding. Then your receiver will read "Dolby Digital" or "DTS", or whatever codec you use.

If all else fails, try phantom CC as I described above just as an experiment to see if it helps. Doesn't cost anything to try it. You can always turn the CC back on.

Craig
I'm confused. Another person told me to set my PS3 settings to dolby?

EDIT: I think i've set it all right. The reciver shows the Dolby symbols. But it is still not clear, so I guess i'll go for the three way center.

EDIT: Changing the center also to 80hz, which the fronts are, don't seem to change much. But thanks for all the help, i'll keep trying speakers and sending them back. I don't have any hifi-store near me so it all has to be sent, which is what makes it a bit annoying.

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
I'm confused. Another person told me to set my PS3 settings to dolby?
What kind of cable are you using to connect the PS3 to your receiver? If you're using the cable supplied with the PS3, the "AV Cable", you're using the lowest level of inter-connect available, composite video and analog 2-channel audio. You want to connect via HDMI, which will allow the highest resolution of video and the best audio signal possible. Any further advice will be predicated on which cable you are using.

EDIT: I think i've set it all right. The reciver shows the Dolby symbols. But it is still not clear, so I guess i'll go for the three way center.

EDIT: Changing the center also to 80hz, which the fronts are, don't seem to change much. But thanks for all the help, i'll keep trying speakers and sending them back. I don't have any hifi-store near me so it all has to be sent, which is what makes it a bit annoying.
Before you start buying and returning speakers, let's be sure you have everything setup to use the highest level signals possible.

Craig

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Somehow I get the feeling that chasing after a unicorn center speaker is not going to resolve this.
Why not? Looks like he's done troubleshooting as suggested by other posters, and problem doesn't appear to be user error at this point.

And another poster on this thread has shared a similar bad experience with that C150.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
So even if i get a three way center it could be the auto calibration that is the issue?
It could easily be position, and your room. I would try things that don't cost money first - like moving the centre forward, tilting it towards ear level, etc... before throwing money at another centre channel speaker.

Reactions: mattg3 and sigpig

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Also, which series of Monitor Audio speakers is it? Because the new Bronze series also uses the C150 model number - same as the current Silver series.

·
Registered
17,087 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I should have specified. The speaker is moved forward and hangs over the table with the doorstops, so it's not like in the picture.

Not sure if it matters, but my TV is a pioneer kuro without built-in speakers, so the input assingn for the TV audio looks like this:

TV AUDIO - OPT - INPUT MODE: DIGITAl

I can only switch from opt to coaxial setting. But I do not think that this is a problem, as the center is fantastic with every sound except dialogue. If something was wrong would those also not sound horrible?

This is a bit stressful, haha. I'll try to hang in there, I don't want to go my life without ever watching a movie again x)

Also, thanks for the comparison link.

EDIT: Is there anything wrong with the way I use my bananplugs?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
I should have specified. The speaker is moved forward and hangs over the table with the doorstops, so it's not like in the picture.

Not sure if it matters, but my TV is a pioneer kuro without built-in speakers, so the input assingn for the TV audio looks like this:

TV AUDIO - OPT - INPUT MODE: DIGITAl

I can only switch from opt to coaxial setting. But I do not think that this is a problem, as the center is fantastic with every sound except dialogue. If something was wrong would those also not sound horrible?

This is a bit stressful, haha. I'll try to hang in there, I don't want to go my life without ever watching a movie again x)

Also, thanks for the comparison link.

EDIT: Is there anything wrong with the way I use my bananplugs?
You're not using the TV speakers in addition to the CC, are you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You're not using the TV speakers in addition to the CC, are you?
The Pioneer Kuro model I have has NO speakers whatsoever, no internal ones. I think you had to buy them separately or the previous owner took them off.

Anybody have any thoughts before I send the speaker back tomorrow? I'm a bit worried about getting a new one and finding out that one ain't that great either. Because then i don't really know what the problem is.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts