Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleasanton California HDTV Reception

I have had an HD ready Mits 55" for over a year now without a minute of HD to date. My understanding is that the only HD channels available are via Satellite and very limited. (HDNET, HBO, and showtime). What's up with that?

Is anyone in Pleasanton/Tri-valley Area recieving any other HD channels OTA or otherwise?!?

I just can't rationalize making the leap to satellite without at least the local network's HD programing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Kint
The Goodguys in Pleasanton claim they can get OTA HDTV signals. You could try talking to them to confirm. I think there were some people in Pleasanton that were able to get OTA HDTV. Check here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/
Thanks Roger,

I've got some of my stuff from those very same "Good Guys" but tend not to trust sales people pretty much at all. I had one guy just last weekend at Best Buy in Dublin who REALLY sounded like he knew what he was talking about who had me ready to buy until I found out on this forum that NO, I could not get local Network HDTV signals from Direct TV and No, I could not record and playback full HD on their new ReplayTV unit.

At this point I'll go to Good Guys and see if I can get a referral to talk to someone who actually gets the signal if I can. I've heard more than once that I can't get an OTA signal here in the Tri-Valley. Recently another salesman told me I could and I'm trying to verify.

Signed onto that link you suggested. Thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Check out your local stations; should be 1 or more in digital at this point in time. Call the stations and check where they are in relation to you. Do the research yourself..always the better way. If you have digital stations within 40 miles of your home, you will probably be able to get them; even if you are 60 miles from a digital station, you have a 'good' chance of receiving it with the proper equipment. Many of the stations I get are over 50 miles from my home. Enjoy!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by donjulio
Chapdog,

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.hdtvpub.com
Interesting site. Closest listing to me is Livermore and it sounds like they are recieving very limited OTA and also doesn't indicate if they are getting their limited network reception from San Fran or Sacto. I would, of course, prefer the more local San Fran version of the networks. I'll look further.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by magic123
Check out your local stations. If you have digital stations within 40 miles of your home, you will probably be able to get them. Enjoy!
I know the San Francisco Networks broadcast plenty of HDTV. They are within 40 miles but I'm right up against the hills near Castro Valley and have heard that here in Pleasanton those hills affect my OTA capabilities.

Also heard that here in the Tri-Valley area we are waiting for a new tower to provide SF OTA but that it's a while from being on line.

I like your idea of contacting the SF networks directly. Not sure I'll trust them much more than I do retail sales people, though, as far whether I can get OTA via attenna.

Dog

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would say take the plunge and get some equipment and just find out for yourself. Don't listen to anyone! The only thing that matters to you is your specific case. Worst thing that can happen is you spend about $150 for an antenna, preamp and mounting hardware. If it doesn't work, either return the stuff or sell it on eBay.

Not to sound like a jerk, but quit whining and get your ass up on a ladder, stop waiting to get bad advice from people, and like Nike tells me to, "Just Do It".

hehehe

good luck

-Beef

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sounds like you haven't bought the STB. Without it, you'll never know. Go buy one, around $500 for a DirecTV/OTA model, e.g. Hughes. Then connect a cheap UHF antenna, point to San Francisco, and you may get something. Then subscribe to DirecTV for HBOhd, Shohd and HDnet.

Otherwise, just keep watching DVD's on your 55" Mits forever, wasting the best part of a fine TV.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888
Sounds like you haven't bought the STB. Without it, you'll never know. Go buy one, around $500 for a DirecTV/OTA model, e.g. Hughes. Then connect a cheap UHF antenna, point to San Francisco, and you may get something. Then subscribe to DirecTV for HBOhd, Should and HDnet.

Otherwise, just keep watching DVD's on your 55" Mits forever, wasting the best part of a fine TV.
Wow, Tell it like it is and don't be shy! Bring it on!

I think you and Beefy have the right idea. Just buying the gear and seeing what happens is likely what I'll end up doing.

Must get through the 4.5k sticker shock of the speakers I'm getting myself for X-Mas first.....Then on to HDTV. You know.....one obsession to the next! Besides since I can't buy it yet, researching it is almost as much fun thanks to you guys.

Sure would be nice to know if others have been successful in my locale.

Per Magic's suggestion I've e-mailed the below text to all three SF networks just for kicks. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Dear Whomever might help me.,

I have had an High Definition capable Mitsubishi 55" rear-projection TV for over a year now here in Pleasanton. I'm growingly desperate to receive yours and other networks HDTV programming. I'm not sure how I can do that. I understand Direct TV offers your broadcast here but not in HD. Same with local available cable providers. Lastly, over the air, I'm hearing I can't get your HD signal because I am blocked by the hills I'm up against. All of this is unconfirmed information. Is your HD programming available in any form yet here in Pleasanton? I sure would appreciate the straight scoop.

Thank you ahead of time for any help you might provide.

David

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Below is the response I got from CBS in San Francisco to an e-mail I sent them, (below that) . I thought you guys might be interested.

Dear Mr. Chapman,

Your message has been passed to me regarding your HDTV reception problems. I am very sorry,

but you will not be able to receive KPIX-DT (Channel 29), or any of the other HDTV station broadcasts

unless you have a clear path to our transmitter site on Mt. Sutro, in San Francisco. Given your location

in Pleasanton, I would find that unlikely as you are on the wrong side of the Dublin grade.

Having said that, can you receive KPIX channel 5 off air in your home? IF you can receive channel 5

at your home now, you MAY be able to receive our HDTV signal as well, if you're lucky. Sometimes

your terrain may help with a "hole" in the hills allowing reception.

As you may or may not be aware, digital TV reception is very different from analog reception. With

digital, you will either see or not see a station. There is no such thing as a ghosty or snowy picture.

Once the digital receiver receives a signal above a threshold, the picture will pop up, full ,bright and

completely clear.

DirecTV offers several premium channels in HD, but they do not carry us yet in full HD. What they do

is take our standard TV video and audio, and upconvert it to the higher HD digital standard. This would

result in the picture not really displaying the sharpness and resolution of true HD. This signal may not

be available yet; I believe they are still performing tests on it.

ATT cable doesn't carry any HDTV channels on any cable systems here in the Bay Area, to my knowledge.

I sure hope that they start carrying HD channels soon, but the problem is lack of available space to

squeeze these onto the existing cable line.

For what it's worth, I am in the same boat with regards to HDTV reception, as I live in Pleasant Hill, and

am behind the same hills that are preventing you from seeing our signal. I would like to invest in a

HDTV receiver, but I am holding off that purchase until I have a way to get our HD signal into our home.

Several local broadcasters have discussed the possibility of placing repeaters of the HD signal on

mountain tops to solve this problem, but the cost is substantial, and upkeep would be expensive.

My personal thought is that they will come through with a solution, though, if they want to keep the

HD/digital ball rolling.

I hope this info has helped you out some...it is the "straight scoop" from our engineering dept.

Good Luck,

Rich Viglienzoni

Senior Technician

KPIX/KBHK-TV

855 Battery St.

San Francisco, CA 94111

Dear CBS,

I have had an High Definition capable Mitsubishi 55" rear-projection TV for over a year now here in Pleasanton. I'm growingly desperate to receive yours and other networks HDTV programming. I'm not sure how I can do that. I understand Direct TV offers your broadcast here but not in HD. Same with local available cable providers. Lastly, over the air, I'm hearing I can't get your HD signal because I am blocked by the hills I'm up against. All of this is unconfirmed information. Is your HD programming available in any form yet here in Pleasanton? I sure would appreciate the straight scoop.

David

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
And it is not true you either receive digital stations or you do not. Just like analog they have their own set of reception problems. With digital they are called 'dropouts'/'blocking' or whatever. Just as with analog, to receive near perfect reception it takes some work and some money but, in the end, is well worth the effort..and the cost.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Perhaps posting a topic title with specific location info would help. I have added it, let's see if you get more replies.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Perhaps posting a topic title with specific location info would help. I have added it, let's see if you get more replies.
Thanks Ken

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chapdog,

I don't have time at the moment, but I can provide with LOTS of information to head you in the right direction.

You can search under my username for earlier postings about HDTV reception in the Tri-Valley area.

Or, send me a PM with your phone and I'll call you.

Les

·
Registered
30 Posts
David-

These are the digital stations that I can receive in Pleasanton:

KTVU-DT 56

KCRA-DT 35

KRON-DT 57

KPIX-DT 29

KGO-DT 24

KQED-DT 30

KXTV-DT 61

KNTV-DT 12

KOVR-DT 25

KUVS-DT 18

KBWB-DT 19

KTSF-DT 27

KICU-DT 52

KCNS-DT 39

KTXL-DT 55

KBHK-DT 45

KTLN-DT 68

KSTS-DT49

KDTV-DT 51

KFTL-DT 62

A couple of these stations are difficult to receive and do break-up occasionally. For the most part, reception is pretty good in Pleasanton.

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the tour of your system. Although I know at some point I'll have to just take the leap, I appreciate advice from someone who has done the experimentation.

Thanks again.

David

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As promised below is the e-mail exchange between NBC San Francisco (San Jose) and I :

Thank you Mike,

Looking forward to the day when HD is pervasive and available via Cable, Sattellite, or OTA across all channels and times!

I think it might be closer than many believe....But of course I am an optimist!

-----Original Message-----

From: Inouye, Mike (NBC, KNTV) [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 12:16 PM

To: David Chapman

Cc: McGrew, Scott (NBC, KNTV); Budman, Scott (NBC, KNTV); KNTV Public File

Subject: RE: NBC HDTV reception, Pleasanton California.

Dear Mr. Chapman,

Sorry for the delayed response. Year-end scheduling has put the normal flow of my duties into an abnormal state. ;-)

Congratulations on your HDTV, we are all envious of your recent purchase! Though it is possible to get clear reception of NBC11 in cities all around the bay, factors ranging from topography and distance, all the way to the current weather conditions can affect reception of our over-the-air (OTA) signal. In particular, as you note, the hills are likely a factor in reducing your OTA reception of our signal. KNTV currently transmits from atop Loma Prieta Mountain, just south of downtown San Jose.

Unfortunately, even though some satellite systems are capable of handling the HD signal, none of the consumer systems is currently offering this. Bay Area HDTV viewers are still limited to the OTA signal for HD signal. NBC11 is seen on 11-1 or 12-1 depending upon the make and age of your receiver.

Since we became NBC we have boosted our power from 79kw to 182kw. Any stronger and we cause an excessive amount of “signal bleed†into our bordering markets. We are in the final stages of exploring a new location for our tower. Unfortunately, this problem is more complex than one might expect, and certainly more involved than one would hope.

Keep watching the “Scotts†on TechNOW! where you’re sure to hear about other cool things to add to your home entertainment system.

Please let us know if we may provide you with further information related to this issue. Thank you for your interest in KNTV and NBC.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Inouye

(it's pronounced "Mikey No Way"... really)

IT Technician -- Engineering Coordinator

The Bay Area's NBC11

San Jose - Oakland - San Francisco

t. 408.286.1111 x550

e. [email protected]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:27 AM

To: Budman, Scott (NBC, KNTV); McGrew, Scott (NBC, KNTV)

Subject: NBC HDTV reception, Pleasanton California.

Dear NBC,

David

David W. Chapman

Project Manager

The DeSilva Group

11555 Dublin Blvd.

Dublin CA 94568

925-828-7999 x 372

925-895-4234 Cell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike KE6HDV

A couple of these stations are difficult to receive and do break-up occasionally. For the most part, reception is pretty good in Pleasanton.

That's encouraging! I thought my only option for HDTV in Pleasanton was DirecTV.

Mike, what part of town do you live in, and what kind of antenna do you use?

What percent of your viewing is HDTV? Do you get good quality for the major networks?

-Ivan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.