AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying so hard to find the right TV and keep running into problems, I just want a TV already! Basically Im trying to get the best deal I can for 700$ for a 40-42" 1080P 120hz in my bedroom, can anyone recommend any models or deals please! I am a newbie here and I really really just want a good TV already
so please help a kid out

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Hi, if you search thru the first 3 pages of this forum you will find plenty of other people asking the same question. Good luck in your research.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
you can get the Toshiba 40xv645u 120hz for 700, i owned briefly it had its flaws but it was a decent TV for the money

I have more special needs than most people for a bedroom TV and although at first glance and tests the Toshiba seemed to meet them. upon further testing i found issues i could not live with and ended up with a Panasonic 37" S1 60hz

plus's on the Toshiba are

good blacks/contrast when in its narrow viewing angle range of +/- 20

degrees

good color reproduction in normal video modes with plenty of options making it easy to calibrate with just test patterns

120hz and the motion enhancer worked fairly well for a TV in this price range, it will not produce excessive SOE but it does not remove all motion blur either.

its cheap for what you get

its got low input lag in game mode but this brings other problems i will expand on

Con's are

Viewing angles are terrible outside of 20 degrees the contrast and color temperature shifts majorly but the worst part of the off angle viewing is the blacks turn purple colored big time and its quite annoying, the dynalight feature (dynamic backlighting) helped a lot to lessen this effect but it was still an issue

bad screen uniformity with dark images (very common on today's VA based LCD TV though)

game/PC mode hurt picture quality in a major way, color range tests go from good out of game mode to below 6bit color creating bad color banding in gradients-terrible for PC use but ok for gaming i suppose.

game mode/PC mode showed major visible smearing with dark moving images. with 120hz on out of these modes its pixel response was good but not as good as even some 60hz TV's like my Panasonic.

TL;DR

if your planning on gaming on it or using with a PC its not a great choice but not the worse choice in the world.

for normal TV use its a decent performer for the money but only if you don't mind staying within its very narrow 20 degree viewing window, outside of that window it has pretty poor picture quality esp with dark images compared to other LCD TV's out there today

the 720p Plasma suggestions are also very good ones if your not viewing them too close they will blow anything in their size range away for the price in every respect except maximum brightness and power consumption.

·
23,032 Posts
Please use the new sticky at top for searching for an LCD to buy. Others in the future will hopefully benefit when this thread gets lost. Thanks.

larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.