AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need about 35 feets of DVI-D or DVI-I cable to connect my Radeon 9000 to PG-M20X.

The only thing I can find is this one

15 Meter DVI-D cable

But it's too expensive! (it's 10 feets more than I need, I hate to see cable dangling around!)

Is this another option?:

Get a 9 meter (29.52 feet) + 2 meter (6.56 feet) + a DVI repeater in the middle. The length would be ideal and the cables are easy to find. I just need to find a cheaper DVI repeater as
this one is too expensive.

Using a reapter will guarantee good quality even if you have a cheap cable, am I correct?

Should I get a Dual-link version? What's mean by Dual-link anyway?

Cliff, if you're reading this, do you have any solution?

Where is the best place to go for cheap but good quality cable? bettercaple.com? pccable.com? pacificcable.com?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
even 9m and then a repeater may be pushing it depending on your resolution...

I know that pushing HD (1080i) down DVI can bring lenghts down (if not using optical) and even SXGA can be problematic at 9m.... DVI is not really designed for long cable runs...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The guys who just released the Bravo D1 player at $200 are talking about doing the same kind of price crashing with DVI cables and repeaters. If you are patient you may find that the prices get into the reasonable range for what you want.

For what it is worth, I didn't notice improvements with DVI on my M20x over VGA. I was only running a 6' VGA cable, though.

--Darin

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that some people have better DVI clarity than VGA. Of course I'm not sure what length they ran the cable at.

I know 9m is pushing the limit. So I'm thinking this:

6m from HTPC, connect to the repeater, another 6m from the repeater to the projector. (11m is a bit stretching my layout, so 12m is perfect)

In this case, the repeater should receive a good signal to repeat before the signal gets degrade. The repeater seems can "amplify" the signal up to 330 feet, so should a "2m + repeater + 9m" better than a "6m + repeater + 6m"?

If I'm using a VGA cable, I'm not sure what would happen. Recently there is a post that using the DVI-VGA adapter from the Radeon causes the second desplay output to 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color. You can find the post here . I didn't read through them all, it could be false alarm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to this FAQ (look at the DVI and HDCP section), DVI over 10m is possible. The optical version of the cable is going guarantee quality, but of course is more expensive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
The guys who just released the Bravo D1 player at $200 are talking about doing the same kind of price crashing with DVI cables and repeaters. If you are patient you may find that the prices get into the reasonable range for what you want.

For what it is worth, I didn't notice improvements with DVI on my M20x over VGA. I was only running a 6' VGA cable, though.

--Darin
The company that release Bravo D1 is V Inc. I don't see any news that they will relase DVI+repeaters product like you said.

As for you not seeing quality different between VGA and DVI, that's because you're running at short distance. Go to the Infocus FAQ page I posted in the last post, there is a section about that.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
DC sells a 30ft cable (DVIDDL30) - no repeater needed. Click
here then scroll down to the bottom...

It might be too short, though...

Is moving the PC or the PJ an option?

Hope this helps!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I just found that cable not too long ago this morning. Cheap and I read that it works on 1024x768. However, I'm not sure what refresh rate it supports. I need to run mine at 75 hz.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you can get by with 32' then you might want to look at this 10 meter cable from Lindy. I've heard of others on this forum using this cable with success. I recently ordered a similar 7.5 meter cable for my own M20X. It arrived yesterday, and looks like a very well made cable. (Definately a cut above the crap they sell at Future Shop) I haven't had a chance to try it out yet unfortunately. Fedex was faster than I expected. I haven't actually gotten around to buying a DVI video card yet! I am probably going to get a Sapphire Radeon 9000. Fanless and cheap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cor,

Thank you thank you thank you! This is even cheaper than DC, not to mention the color is Almond, which blend into the wall! The one in DC is black, and I hate to see black thick wire around the place. I'm living in an apartment so I can't run the wire through the ceiling.

Since you're using M20X, I might as well ask, is it okay to hang the projector 9 ft off the floor, is there any formular I can use to calculate such that base on the distance of the projector from the screen, and height of projector from the floor, I will be able to calculate the height to hang the correct screen? I haven't get my projector yet.

Here are my variable:

Distance from screen: 11.5 ft

Height of projector from floor: 9 ft.

Screen Size: 6'(W) x 8.96'(H)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

I have been using that calculator to calculate the SIZE of the screen. However, I need a formula to calculate the height to hang the screen at relative to the height of the projector.

For example, if I hang my projector at 9' off the ground, I shouldn't hange the screen (measuring from the top edge of the screen) at 9' off the ground as well.

The end of the wall where I hang my screen has a window that run up to 9' high, so I'm thinking of hanging the screen right above the window. With that, I need to adjust how high I should hang my projector. Even if all these work out, I need to know if the screen's height is appropriate for the audience.

I need all these information as I need to start buying the right mount, mount extender, and if needed, screen extender etc.

·
Registered
645 Posts
KC,

I've got the M20x and a 106 diag screen at about 15 ft distance. There is a very precise formula in the manual. You can download it from Sharp's website. For ceiling mounting you turn the PJ around and put it in ceiling mount mode. But the calculation is just the same as if you used it on a table for a professional presentation. The formula tells you how many cm or inches below the center of the lens the screen must start. For ceiling mount the center of the lens is actually a little lower than the upper edge of the screen. For me it's around 6 inches and it doesn't vary a lot whether the distance is 12 or 16 ft.

Please let us know how the dvi cable works out. I'd like to try that.

Till

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Till,

Thanks for the reply. I have pretty much finalized my mounting. I will use these:

- Mount plate

-
Mounting arm

- Column

The arm will be mounted about 9.5' above ground, use the column to drop 2' down and mount the projector, that make the projector about 7.5' above the floor.

The window is actually run up to about 7' instead of 9' that I talk about. The top edge of the screen should be about 7.5' off the floor.

The screen-PJ distance is about 11' so I will be getting a 84" diagonal screen. The audience is 9.5' away from the screen, so it should just right.

As for the screen, I believe you have the same screen that I want to get, which is Model B . Is that what you have? I thought it's gray screen?

For the DVI cable, I will update you as soon as I get everything hook up. I have ordered my mount accessories but it will take 3 weeks for them to get it, so I think I will get it in a month or so. I will order my M20X 3 weeks later, and order the cable after I have receive the mount, just to make sure 10m DVI cable is all I need. Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
KC,

You may also want to consider the 30-foot Dual-link DVI cable from Bettercables.com

I am using this and it works perfectly with my Radeon 9700Pro and Sanyo PLV70 at 1368x768 75Hz.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lrowland,

Thanks, I have checked them out before I post the question. Bettercable is about $240 for a 10m (30 foot), if you scroll up this threat, there is a link to the Lindy 10m DVI that you can get for less than $100. I did a search and many people recomment that. Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
KC,

I tried the 10m dual-link Lindy cable and got sparklies at that resolution. I also tried a cable from DC and one from Markertek. The DC cable also gave me sparkles and the Markertek cable would not even display (it was single link).

Good luck in your search.

Larry

·
Registered
645 Posts
KC,

my model B from Da-lite is matte white. Perhaps there is also a grey version. The CSR at Da-lite told me that with a 1000:1 contrast ratio a grey version would make no sense even though he could have sold me the more expensive HCCV material.

The M20x has a digital keystone correction which I had to use. It doesn't affect the picture quality in my eyes, it's only around 7 degrees off though.

Mount the PJ first as this seems to be not variable in height. Project onto the wall, sort out the 16:9 and 4:3 issues between PJ and DVD or TV. Then mount the screen at the correct height. Easy job, just use good anchors. I find that the screen's lower edge should be at least two feet above the floor to have a nice viewing angle.

Till

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have read someone had success with this 10m dual link dvi cable from cables to go. The cable is a kvm cable but you just don't use the other two cables. And this cable is the least expensive at 59.95. It claims to support resolution up to 2048X1536 and 9.9gps. proof is in the pudding.

http://www.lastar.net/product.asp?ca...2405&sku=27955

i personaly need about 40ft. so it is a little to short for me.

dave

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well I figured what the heck and bought the cablestogo 10m cable and 3m extension cable for $89 all together. I get it in two days and will post my results using a radeon 7500 and ht-1000 pj.

dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.