AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here’s the situation… I have an EchoStar 6000 connected to a RCA MM36100. The 6000 is being fed by a pair of LNB’s attached to a StarBand dish. The 6000 was brought into service this past week. Prior to getting the 6000 and the StarBand setup (Sept. 2000) I had a EchoStar 5000 connected to a Dish 500. Once the StarBand dish was installed I basically retired the Dish 500. It’s been on the roof since September but not connected to anything.

As part of the switch over to the 6000 I also purchased a SW64 switch. Over the weekend I moved the existing dish connections to the SW64 and connected the Dish 500 for use receiving the HD signals from the 61.5 bird.

Now… The problem… The system just won’t “see†the 61.5 bird. In fact the “Check Switch†in the setup won’t even detect the fact that the Dish 500 is connected to it (it’s on 3A & 3B). I have returned the skew back to the original 90 degree position. When I bought the 6000 (from DishDepot) I was told that in order to use the 500 dish I would have to move the dish off spec by about 4 degrees. Dopey me I failed to ask whether that was azimuth or elevation and which direction (DOH!).

To date I have: (1) tried both LNB’s on the 500, (2) scanned +/- 15 degrees azimuth and +/- 10 degrees elevation, (3) tried setting up using 3 different receivers (6000, 5000, 2700?), (3) tried searching with an assortment of transponder numbers. All with no luck. Tonight’s project is to connect a cable directly from on of the LNB’s to the receiver bypassing the SW64.

I’ve read here a couple of references to various transponders not being hot on 61.5 but have not seen which one I should be trying to tune with. If I connect a single cable to the LNB, say on the left side (facing the connections) which polarization or transponder group should I be searching with?

I’m stuck. I’m taking suggestions on what to try next. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You definitely need to hook a cable directly to the 6000 from the 61.5 dish as you mentioned at the end of the post. Once you acquire 61.5, then hook up the SW64. The receiver can only do the switch check properly when there is a sat signal present so unless you just happened to hit 61.5 blind on the first try, running through the switch at first will never work.

I believe the old Dish 500's were off about 4 degrees on elevation. I think it was that they were too low but that is barely better than a 50/50 recollection on my part.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up to original message...

I did connect the dish directly to one of the receivers and within 5 minutes I had a signal from 61.5 (117 out of 125). As soon as I re-connected to the SW64 and re-ran "check switch" the 6000 saw the 61.5 bird and added the newly available channels.

The bottom line... I now have 4 additional channels of HDTV. Life is good!!!

Oh Yea... Lee L... Thanks, you were right about the change in elevation. It was indeed 4 degrees up. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.